David Bowie and Zuckerberg

BFCElvis

13 hours ago, landser said:

Not to put too fine a point on it but there were no '59 Goldtops :)

The '59 Standard though, that's the thing.

Gold top "Les Paul Model" was phased out in late '58, replaced by "Les Paul Standard" and went two-piece maple tops and sunburst finish. If you see any non-two-piece sunbursts they are refinished gold tops.

The small hands crack was because of the shorter scale?

I happen to love Gibson guitars and have several including LPs, so this thread is interesting. On one hand this sort of targeting is creepy. On the other hand why wouldn't I want advertising that is suited to me?

I'll look at guitars all day, thanks very much.

About 59 Goldtops, you're right, my bad. Small hands crack wasn't mine, mine was about big wallets.

I love Gibson, but I'm more on SG (1) side  and I'm a big telecaster (3) fan. They sound great on my 72' Princeton Reverb.

Edited by Ales Dvorak

7 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I hear you on the champ, I had one also. 

Wow really? That's cool. What a neat little amp. I wish I had realized what I had, and not been suckered in by all the fancy bits on the Peavey. But I was young and visions of distortion and volume filled my head I guess. Nice amps you have.

About the Gibson scale... I prefer it, but that's down to individual preference.  And I knew you hadn't said this Ales, but the way I wrote my post made it seem like I did.

Gibson SG eh? I like them for their looks and tone, but the balance is wrong for me, neck heavy (the ones I played). One of the worst stand-up solid bodies for me. Too bad, because they're cool guitars.

46 minutes ago, landser said:

Gibson SG eh? I like them for their looks and tone, but the balance is wrong for me, neck heavy (the ones I played). One of the worst stand-up solid bodies for me. Too bad, because they're cool guitars.

Yes, SG are known for neck dive, but with good guitar strap you can fix this. I have more problems with my Rickenbacker 330/12 neck, man, you really need skinny fingers to play this guitar .

Yes, SGs are nice guitars, always wanted one for the Cream-era Clapton and AC/DC vibe :)

But the die was cast as a teenager. One of my jamming buddies had a SG and a Flying V. The SG didn't prove comfortable, but then again I rarely play standing up any more, so maybe I should add a SG to the stable. Well I really shouldn't, but my case of G.A.S is terminal.

Guitar is a very personal choice.  I coached my son's band starting in 3rd grade.  They were all in some rock school and I told some other parents that we could do this for free at my house, I've got PA, everything, and I'd coach.  The band was together until high school graduation, even let me in the band for their "farewell tour" gigs as they approached graduation.  By high school they would use me as a consultant sometimes as practice, not needing coaching anymore, but I was still soundman, gear slave & roadie, which was work but fun.  The guitar choices were interesting.  The ACDC-loving kid chose a black SG, which being so light was a great choice for the skinny little fella.  The other guitar player didn't like my Vox S33 guitar and never wanted to use it at practice, preferring his gawd-awful squire, but then he saw a grey tiger-stripe kinda guitar that he fell in love with and had to have it.  He didn't even know it was same model as my Vox except double cutaway and different color.  Guitars are so much about personal look & feel.

So a month ago the kid band bass player wanted my input on a used fender jaguar he saw online, light blue, very surfer.  I started suggesting other similar sounding guitars that might be better for the money, going through all kinds of choices.  Then I realized what he really wanted was my support for his choice, because he had already fallen in love with that specific guitar.  So what he needed was to hear "you are not getting ripped off, this is a good choice" which it was, and he got it and is happy.

Amps for me are more about numbers almost -- it does this, does that, has these tubes, this kind of breakup, etc.  But a guitar is not just an instrument, it's something you wear.  It is as much a fashion choice as a practical choice.  I don't like SGs, but they sure are loved by the SG folks.  I don't like pointy edged metal-band guitars, but the metals folks wouldn't be caught dead playing my new vox bobcat.  Even though these all play really well and sound really good.

This is totally off track from CM but at least it's a nice discussion.  Elvis will have to shut it down due to lack of controversy.

So does anyone actually like flying Vs?  So uncomfortable to me.  Yeah, they look kinda cool, but really are a goofy creature.

Great post Danfrodo and I agree, especially the point about how personal guitars are. Being made of wood means there's a surprising amount of variability from one to the next, isn't there? I also get some advice seekers, especially friends and family who want to buy a first guitar, for themselves or as a gift. I have lots to say, but deep down I know that how that guitar feels is the single most important part of the equation. So I'll still offer my advice, but with the caveat that the player should pick it up first. With online ordering being so popular this isn't done much anymore. But it should be.

No, V's are not very ergonomic are they? The worst sitting-down guitar. They look cool, especially those Korina Vs with the ABR and pass through strings and I'm a fan of the headstock aesthetic. Never had much interest in those really. Actually I preferred the Explorer in the 'futuristic' guitar category. But that was mainly due to my love for Skynyrd, as Allen Collins played one often.

I'm kind blown away by a kid these days wanting a Jag. That's pretty cool. But some guitars just speak to you.

The most glaring hole in my guitar collection is semi/hollow body electric. Would like to add a 335/355 sort of guitar. Those sound amazing on a Princeton or twin reverb, ya know? Maybe some day.

I hear ya, Landser.  That lack of semi-hollow definitely drove my recent choice.  And I bought online, which hurt my soul.  But there were none of what I wanted in Oregon anywhere.  The Jag buyer bought local off craigslist so he was able to play it, fortunately.  My local music store shut down some years ago.  there's still a small outfit in town that I use but not much selection.  So I end up online buying more than I'd prefer.

Explorer & Skynrd, that is cool indeed.  :)    I remember when they had the plane accident, killing singer & the new guitarist (who I thought was great!). 

That new guitarist was Steve Gaines, who mostly played a Strat. He was amazing. If you know the Skynyrd song called "I Know A Little" that's him. Great player who fit seamlessly in to the band. One of the things I admire about the band is how perfectly they weaved the three guitars in to the songs. It's beautiful.  His life ended too early. His sister also died in that crash, backup singer Cassie Gaines.

With this thread fully derailed, a little Skynyrd anecdote. When I was about 11 I went over to my Grandmother's house, a few doors down. As I entered I could hear her playing her piano, and someone playing guitar. As I came in to the room I could see a large man, with a long ponytail holding a beautiful red ES-345 hooked up to an old Vibrolux I think it was. Silverface for sure.

My grandmom said I'd like you to meet Mr King, he plays guitar too and was in a band. She said something that wasn't exactly Lynyrd Skynyrd, but that's what she meant. This was Ed King! I was already a fan, and now recognized him from the cover of Pronounced. Ed freakin King man. He wrote Free Bird, Sweet Home Alabama and bunch of other classics. He said so you play too young man? I sure do Mr King. He said where's you guitar? Straight out the door full speed and I was back in a few minutes with that old Malibu.

Turns out he lived nearby and had joined my grandmother's church and was now in her house practicing for the next service. Come on.

He spent about 30 minutes with me, showing me the licks to Sweet Home Alabama, Needle and the Spoon and a couple others. Sadly, Ed King passed a few years ago, but his music lives on, and he made quite the impression on a very young me.

And about the local stores, yeah, there's not much any more. Guitar Center and the internet have killed the mom and the pop. Thankfully, most online retailers allow returns if you're not happy for whatever reason. My Telecaster is a good example of how things can go a little wrong. I bought this guitar off the interweb. But I've never really taken to it. It has a very beefy neck, an ode to the old 50's Teles/Broadcasters. It's too big for me really. I noodle around with it from time to time, play slide on it mostly. But it's one that I didn't try first and sure enough, it was not perfect for me. Live and learn.

Edited by landser

OMG YOU PLAYED W ED KING!!!!  that is a crazy, wonderful story!!!!!  he was such a tasteful, melodic lead player.

When I was young I learned i Know a Little, which I thought I could play properly until every time when I tried to play it along w record at proper tempo and would end up fumbling it.  I think that needs to be my next guitar project :)

Well I mostly watched Ed King play while I attempted to copy what he was showing me. He said I nailed the harmonics bit in Alabama! But yeah, I was just a kid and it was all surreal. I don't think I had even ever seen a a Gibson guitar in person before. It was magnificent. I saw the inlays and the body binding, and the full, mellow tone and that became my white whale. I would own a Gibson one day. It took 20 years and a good job, but I finally did it. More than one obviously :)

His entire collection went up for sale at Carter's three years ago, soon after he passed. Some amazing pieces, including a '58 Les Paul known as Redeye. His Sweet Home Alabama Strat was sold too. Interestingly, Ed thought it was a terrible guitar!

dumb question -- what is G.A.S.?  guitar addiction syndrome??

Jazzmaster, very cool, I've always wanted to try one but I have never actually played an offset, I guess I gotta do that.  Is it a P90 type sound?  Unfortunately I've just spent my guitar money for a while, thought VERY pleased with what I got.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome, also known as GAS, is commonly understood as the musicians' unrelenting urge to buy and own instruments and equipment as an anticipated catalyst of creative energy and bringer of happiness. ... The urge is directed by the belief that acquiring another instrument will make one a better player.

Stock jazzmaster's pickups  sound different (to me), not so P90... ....................but you can change them for P90 anytime................G.A.S.   ;)

5 minutes ago, Ales Dvorak said:

commonly understood as the musicians' unrelenting urge to buy and own instruments and equipment as an anticipated catalyst of creative energy and bringer of happiness. ... The urge is directed by the belief that acquiring another instrument will make one a better player.

Good explanation Ales, but I'd make a minor correction in my case....

"The urge is directed by the belief that acquiring another instrument will make one appear to be a better player. :D

1 minute ago, landser said:

Is it gear? 

Oh, got a Vox bobcat S66, black, a few weeks ago.  First guitar purchase for myself in around 10 years.  I've got pretty good gear so hadn't really felt compelled enough by GAS til I saw this cool, very retro beastie.

It's like 335 in shape, but w the unique Vox single coils it's a different sound.  Can be really bright, which I don't go that bright by myself, but when doing rhythm w drums bass etc where the mids are already very full I think the bright end will be very nice, which I also notice just playing along w songs via stereo.  But just add in the middle or bridge pickups or pull down the tone knob and it can do whatever tone level I want.  It's very much based on the 60s design, though modernized.  I also like the quality.  I played some ~$900 gretsch models while deciding but seemed less quality, at least the made in china ones I played -- though gretsch makes some ridiculously cool looking guitars w huge variety & color schemes.

Once I got the guitar I took it for pro setup & he only charged $30 because he said it was so nicely set up right out of factory, just some action adjust.  When I played gretsches at a guitar center the action was so high I couldn't even tell how it really played.

Congrats on the new guitar!

The Vox I saw was more like a 355 in that it had ebony board and block inlays, but yeah, shape-wise they're the same. I should stay away from this thread because I keep thinking about that hole in my collection, and talking about cool guitars like your Bobcat doesn't help, like, at all.

Going back to Zuckerberg for a minute...

Recently at work we were talking about robotic cleaning appliances.  I had my iphone on the table in front of me.  Later that day I started to get adverts on Facebook for guess what?  Robotic cleaning devices.

A week or so later, same situation, I mentioned that I needed to get some school shirts for my boy (great conversation I know 😉).  Later that day the person I was talking to (whose phone was on the table) started to get Facebook adverts for school shirts.  And she doesn't even have children.

Coincidence?  I don't think so.  But is Zuckerberg (and Alexa etc.) actually listening in?  Who knows...

Without a doubt they are, and certainly Alexa. A few years ago my mom called me and said she had an Alexa and did I want it? I said no way that's going in my house. She asked why and I said because it will probably spy on me. She laughed and said there's no way that's possible. But it is.

I am anti-Apple, but more so for the way they conduct business than security and privacy concerns. But if it's targeting you while it is sitting on the table in front of you it wouldn't surprise me.  Maybe my Android does too. That too would be unsurprising.

I find myself on the fence over the issue because in many ways this is benign. It's a little creepy, but as I said earlier, why wouldn't I want advertising that is tailored to me? Why wouldn't I rather see guitars and fishing lures than women's shoes and high-end pottery ya know?

But is it recording your conversations? Videos of you talking to friends or driving your car or sitting on the crapper? None of this would be surprising. The question is how far does it go and what is ultimately acceptable to each person?

Edited by landser

19 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Going back to Zuckerberg for a minute...

Recently at work we were talking about robotic cleaning appliances.  I had my iphone on the table in front of me.  Later that day I started to get adverts on Facebook for guess what?  Robotic cleaning devices.

A week or so later, same situation, I mentioned that I needed to get some school shirts for my boy (great conversation I know 😉).  Later that day the person I was talking to (whose phone was on the table) started to get Facebook adverts for school shirts.  And she doesn't even have children.

Coincidence?  I don't think so.  But is Zuckerberg (and Alexa etc.) actually listening in?  Who knows...

Legal issues aside - Apple wouldn't allow Facebook to use the microphone outside user preferences. They aren't friends and Apple controls the microphone.

What you see there can be explained by proximity. It noticed you had lunch with these people based on location and time in that location. Now it spams things to person B that person A had previously interacted with, because it figures that might have been a topic in the conversation.

20 minutes ago, landser said:

I find myself on the fence over the issue...

The question is how far does it go

I'm the same, and I'm not saying my perception of being surveilled is correct in the first place.

16 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

What you see there can be explained by proximity. It noticed you had lunch with these people based on location and time in that location.

This could explain some of it, but I think not the shirts, which I had said I was going to a store to buy after work - so no interaction on Amazon from me to spam there.

Oh well, interesting but I'm not about to crush my iphone over it.  Or stop using Amazon or Facebook.