MOD Tagging

RMM

Hi all, if a MOD is tagged with [snow], will it appear even if the scenario has multiple, weather tags like [muddy] and [snow], or does the MOD have to have the same multiple, weather  tags?

The issue being, if the MOD has separate files for both [muddy] and [snow], which would appear in a scenario tagged with both [muddy] and [snow]?

Edited by RMM

56 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Can you even use multiple weather tags? 

I thought they effect both how certain tiles are rendered and how they behave in the game, so I'd expect a conflict. 

I haven't done any designing, so must admit, I wouldn't know, but I'm seeing numerous vehicle MOD's for RT that are tagged [snow muddy]

Edited by RMM

Technically, 'muddy' and 'snow' don't officially exist together in the game. But if you place a [snow] tag into a scenario that doesn't have snow terrain selected that means 'muddy' is liable to pop up where you don't want it. So you need a combo tag [muddy snow] version so when the the muddy wheels/tracks/ hull sides show up they'll be using the tagged mod art you want.

Just now, MikeyD said:

Technically, 'muddy' and 'snow' don't officially exist together in the game. But if you place a [snow] tag into a scenario that doesn't have snow terrain selected that means 'muddy' is liable to pop up where you don't want it. So you need a combo tag [muddy snow] version so when the the muddy wheels/tracks/ hull sides show up they'll be using the tagged mod art you want.

Ah ok. That explains it then. Tks

On 12/19/2021 at 7:23 AM, theforger said:

Is there a definitive list of the available mod tags?

My understanding of MODtags is you can make any tag you want. There's no game limit; all you need to do is add the [ ] tag to any scenario plus any file(s) that you want associated with them and viola

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It seems that the sequence tags are loaded in can effect how they interact.....Hopefully @37mm can explain further, as I don't fully understand it.

That would make sense; ie. if a scenario was (oddly) tagged [guards gc] and one had, both [guards] and [gc] MOD files with those tags, it's going to pick the [guards] ones over the [gc].

Basically the higher up a tag is in your text file then the more important (i.e. loads last) it is.

The exception to this is official BFC seasonal & regional tags... they automatically count at the highest possible (i.e always load last).

This, for instance, is why @kohlenklau's CMAK2 will not work properly if the scenario is set outside of a summer date... the offical [autumn] or [spring] (or whatever) tags will overide the unofficial [afrika] tag.

SInce way back...these are all my CMFI modtag text files. Some were used in scenarios with MULTIPLE modtags summoning the appearance of modded stuff.

This is just CMFI...

The cropped titles are scenario briefings I did for my CMFI scenarios...

vLF6fUz.png

Some bmp categories have only 1 style and no 2nd or 3rd version. Some have 2nd and 3rd versions with modtags using "scenario settings modtags".

So, when a scenario has a "scenario setting modtag" and you want something else you made yourself then you must counteract that with a double modtag on your bmps.

Looking at a modtag text file...one of those seemingly odd long ones...no brackets. Remember this is not the actual bmp modtag...this was the way to summon a certain display for a certain scenario.

africa wadi saltmarsh sidi usfieldjacket wetmud

I had a bunch of stuff tweaked and modtagged [africa]

I had a road mod with [wadi]

I had some terrain mods modtagged as [saltmarsh] and some modtagged as [wetmud]

I had some Sherman's modded and modtagged as [sidi]

Somebody's US uniform mod with modtag [usfieldjacket]....papagoat's maybe?

It all displayed fine BACK THEN!!!!

Edited by kohlenklau

The answer to the multiple mod tag question should be fairly easy to determine. Create a new scenario in the Editor with a flat field and single tank.

Set the scenario Date Parameter to 'December' or 'January' and weather parameter to 'snow' . Add the mod-tag [muddy snow] to the vehicle. Then save and 'Play' to see what happens.

Repeat the above with different weather and ground parameters for the scenario.

Repeat the above with different mod tag combinations for the vehicle; e.g. [muddy snow], [muddy, snow], [snow muddy] and [snow, muddy].

You do not need to mod-tag the scenario as 'snow' or 'muddy' because the weather data parameter setting will take care of this internally.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:23 AM, theforger said:

Is there a definitive list of the available mod tags?

There are many, many modtagged bmp's that come with the stock games. Like discussed in this thread, they are "summoned for display" by certain settings in the scenario editor by the scenario author: weather, ground condition, the date setting, the location, appearance of the units...

But there is the modtag text file import button where you can customize it all. This is where we can try to have certain signs/buildings for a certain battle. Like in your great stuff!

1 hour ago, WimO said:

should be fairly easy to determine

Yes, definitely the curious player or scenario author can/should test and see if it appears as desired. But sometimes there is still a wildcard of what the human player has in their z folder which is not possible to always outsmart. 57 different German helmets for example or 19 different T-34's. 

AFAIK: no commas in bracketed modtags. always lower case. In a double modtag, I have never seen the order to ever matter. [a b] = [b a]

In the original CMRT @Aragorn2002 there was not any autumn looking trees summoned by date setting so we had to modtag them but NOW it is there automatically. 

Edited by kohlenklau

To complicate matters, winter titles often include [whitewash] tag for vehicles. Officially this will automatically show up only January/February. If you want whitewashed vehicles for other months you need to add the tag manually. If the whitewashed vehicle is on muddy ground (or what the game thinks is muddy ground) the [muddy] tagged art may kick in. so you need a separate [whitewash muddy] combo tagged piece of art for tracks/wheels to keep the default art from showing up.

20 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

To complicate matters

As a scenario author, you COULD have a desire to show a whitewashed vehicle that was then in a snowstorm and like in the movie "Battle of the Bulge", a fresh chocolate cake had been sent from the US. The panzer then smashed the cake and that is the muddy part in the tracks? [snow whitewash muddy] hahahaha

2 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

As a scenario author, you COULD have a desire to show a whitewashed vehicle that was then in a snowstorm and like in the movie "Battle of the Bulge", a fresh chocolate cake had been sent from the US. The panzer then smashed the cake and that is the muddy part in the tracks? [snow whitewash muddy] hahahaha

🤣