Berlin CMRT Map

1 hour ago, NPye said:

Downloaded the ruins set from Aquila-SmartWargames dropbox, and to my bewilderment it worked after a bit of pissing about, although some of the textures aren't working properly, I wonder if this is something one of you tech guys could look at? I love it and we really are breaking all barriers in this game...

Download Link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1tviryry89g6py7/AAAJpSvGH6u1iEx4WzwVLSnJa?dl=0&preview=CM+Ruins+Pack.zip

RA71Dz.png

RA7ts5.png

RA7rgC.png

BRUHHHHHHHHHH

This would be incredible on your Stalingrad map. 

I dont want to flatten houses because that wouldnt be a fun place to fight over. Stalingrad had so many buildings standing in this fashion. 

1 hour ago, NPye said:

Downloaded the ruins set from Aquila-SmartWargames dropbox, and to my bewilderment it worked after a bit of pissing about, although some of the textures aren't working properly, I wonder if this is something one of you tech guys could look at? I love it and we really are breaking all barriers in this game...

Download Link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1tviryry89g6py7/AAAJpSvGH6u1iEx4WzwVLSnJa?dl=0&preview=CM+Ruins+Pack.zip

RA71Dz.png

RA7ts5.png

RA7rgC.png

Holy sh.. that looks incredible! 🤩 Didn´t know @Aquila-SmartWargames created anything like that! Guess I´s sleeping the past few years. 😑

Downloaded now and will check this one out ASAP. And it´s just 14.5 MB files size. Thanks! 😎

Edit: Ah... I remember now. I´d seen it but for some reason didn´t try it out that time. 🙄

Edited by RockinHarry

Just Made the Barricades from wood and brick in between, copied from original source...What ya think... BTW This is another model from Aquilas list of 3d models called CM Hesco Barrier Flavor.

RAoE9x.png

RAoJkc.png

RAo6a1.png

Edited by NPye

21 minutes ago, NPye said:

Just Made the Barricades from wood and brick in between, copied from original source...What ya think... BTW This is another model from Aquilas list of 3d models called CM Hesco Barrier Flavor.

RAoE9x.png

RAoJkc.png

RAo6a1.png

Ah the Hescoes. Good idea. 😎 Off course still can be made more WW2 looking, maybe make the metal parts rusty looking etc. What flavor type did you put them to? Large fountain likely would be best for its anti vehicle capability. Maybe original objects META gives the same effect already? 🤔

3 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Ah the Hescoes. Good idea. 😎 Off course still can be made more WW2 looking, maybe make the metal parts rusty looking etc. What flavor type did you put them to? Large fountain likely would be best for its anti vehicle capability. Maybe original objects META gives the same effect already? 🤔

There is no metal bits on the BMP file so can't see it to alpha channel it out or make rusty???

5 hours ago, NPye said:

Your tram car is looking really good here. The Hesco - do they have flat textures, are they just boxes? or are they proper 3D models with the cages modelled separate to the contents. If they're just boxes then you could have a go at making them look like these types of barricade from Berlin:

ODG1wkr.jpg

NsCRbEF.jpg

If they're 3D objects then perhaps we add them to the defensive works mod list. Speaking of defensive works - found this image of a prepared position made of bricks - looks like a possible use for our foxhole nests with a bit of remodelling:

KS2poia.jpg

Edited by Lucky_Strike

13 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Your tram car is looking really good here. The Hesco - do they have flat textures, are they just boxes? or are they proper 3D models with the cages modelled separate to the contents. If they're just boxes then you could have a go at making them look like these types of barricade from Berlin:

The .bmp file is just boxes but there is nowhere to delete the metal cage??? And it has a soft cover on the top.. Cheers

1 hour ago, NPye said:

Hi Guys I feel stupid asking this but how do I import the .MDR files into blender 3.3.1 I have downloaded Python, latest version.

I am not home now but what I can say is you cannot import mdr file in another version of blender as the 2.79b by another version there is a specific  procedure with the command append, but this is for later...

So first install blender 2.79b then the add-ons from Sobovovich sorry for the name than you will be a step already far...

More later or waiting for ours guys to have more instructions.

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

4 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

I am not home now but what I can say is you cannot import mdr file in another version of blender as the 2.79b by another version there is a specific  procedure with the command append, but this is for later...

So first install blender 2.79b then the add-ons from Sobovovich sorry for the name than you will be a step already far...

More later or waiting for ours guys to have more instructions.

JM

Done cheers bud

Ok, bloody ell that Blenders gonna be a learning curve...lol So I got the ruins model into the game, then used the same texture and made a modular building so I could mix n match. Not to bad results. 

RWJNi3.png

Then I thought i'd try and modify the model and get rid of the floor textures which don't look right when repeated... and I did it, the modal is just 2 Objects so I deleted the one attached to the floor object... all good exported and work brilliantly and looked like this below:

RWJXlM.png

Then I did something really dumb, I re-edited the mdr in Blender but when I exported it the original has come back with all the flooring attached, but in blender this does not show... so stumped already...FFS What am I doing wrong???

4 hours ago, NPye said:

Ok, bloody ell that Blenders gonna be a learning curve...lol So I got the ruins model into the game, then used the same texture and made a modular building so I could mix n match. Not to bad results. 

RWJNi3.png

Then I thought i'd try and modify the model and get rid of the floor textures which don't look right when repeated... and I did it, the modal is just 2 Objects so I deleted the one attached to the floor object... all good exported and work brilliantly and looked like this below:

RWJXlM.png

Then I did something really dumb, I re-edited the mdr in Blender but when I exported it the original has come back with all the flooring attached, but in blender this does not show... so stumped already...FFS What am I doing wrong???

Well done and looks good! 😎 Interestingly I tried the floor removal as well but got CM to stop on loading the map file then. Had to exit task manually (caught in endless loading loop due to out of memory issue). 😜 But as said, for detail stuff I´m Blender noob as well.

3 hours ago, NPye said:

Just had a relook and Ive done it, It obviously didn't export properly, so now ive got the original and another with just 1 section, I made this from 3 and just rotated to get this effect which is much better now. Cheers

RWJaix.png

Cool! 😎 I´ve as well thought of taking smaller ruin parts so one can better compose and match with CM objects. The 16x16 thing is just too large for most purposes. Fine tuning shouldn´t be that hard when considering the 1m ground mesh restrictions and adapting to it IMO.

Here could probably be a new entry point for further modding. As Mark is just about to uncover some the buildings internal magic, we could likely start looking at CM actual ruins and damaged stuff now. All buildings have some sort of rubble model MDR then applied for when buildings get damaged either in game or in 3D editor. At least one could start experimenting with few things here.

Edited by RockinHarry

11 hours ago, NPye said:

Ok, bloody ell that Blenders gonna be a learning curve...lol

Ohh yes! As Churchie mighty say ...

The ruins are looking well cool now.

Out of interest, cos I haven't had time to play with them myself, do they have upper floors for use by pixeltruppen or do they just use the ground level. One of the things that I noticed about damaged buildings in your Berlin mod was that despite being apparently empty, floorless shells the pixeltruppen would still occupy upper floors of ruined buildings. Was that just a limitation of the game mechanics? If this new mod does potentially limit movement and positioning to just ground floor it would give a good range of possible structure types.

11 hours ago, NPye said:

Just had a relook and Ive done it, It obviously didn't export properly

Always useful to keep an eye on Blender's built in consol/info panel, it will always show what's happened with commands issued., though some of the output can be obscure. Sometimes an export failure is only partial, you might get an mdr but it won't necessarily be complete, a clue to this is the file size. One can usually gauge if a file is complete if the file size is what is expected, most models we make are the equivalent of or larger than the originals, so if an edited file shrinks substantially there may be an issue.

7 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

As Mark is just about to uncover some the buildings internal magic, we could likely start looking at CM actual ruins and damaged stuff now.

Eeek! 😲 I still have forests to build!

7 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

All buildings have some sort of rubble model MDR then applied for when buildings get damaged either in game or in 3D editor. At least one could start experimenting with few things here.

So far as I could see in the independent buildings damage is just done with textures. There are obviously some engine mechanics - dice throw calculations etc - related to the status of a building but the damage we see is just visuals. The collapsed buildings though must come from something else. You all know more about this than me.

Edited by Lucky_Strike

6 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Out of interest, cos I haven't had time to play with them myself, do they have upper floors for use by pixeltruppen or do they just use the ground level. One of the things that I noticed about damaged buildings in your Berlin mod was that despite being apparently empty, floorless shells the pixeltruppen would still occupy upper floors of ruined buildings. Was that just a limitation of the game mechanics? If this new mod does potentially limit movement and positioning to just ground floor it would give a good range of possible structure types.

11 hours ago, NPye said:

It,s only a flavour image at the moment so no floors etc, Harry wrapped a Mod build around then hid all the walls etc so it could have floors, but I have to take out the floors so I can make stuff with bridges etc. Cheers

44 minutes ago, NPye said:

It,s only a flavour image at the moment so no floors etc, Harry wrapped a Mod build around then hid all the walls etc so it could have floors, but I have to take out the floors so I can make stuff with bridges etc. Cheers

Oh okay, that make sense, thanks.

So a 1 level building with no roof, and walls wrapped in the ruins flavor object will then potentially keep the pixeltruppen at ground level so they don't climb their imaginary stair to their imaginary floors above - just say no boys!

This could then be expanded with taller flavour objects to create those shell like buildings, obviously making the models and placing them in the editor would be loads of work. Look great though.

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Eeek! 😲 I still have forests to build!

lol yes and you shouldn´t get distracted from it. Your latest findings could prove vital for some my running and oncoming projects containing lots of 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲😁😍

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

So far as I could see in the independent buildings damage is just done with textures. There are obviously some engine mechanics - dice throw calculations etc - related to the status of a building but the damage we see is just visuals. The collapsed buildings though must come from something else. You all know more about this than me.

Yup, indi builds is multi layer damage textures and mod ones is 3D geometry. All are abstracted versions of what can be considered new apertures likely beeing defined in META. So it´s not just visuals as apertures is likely larger than undamaged walls which has consequences. On ground level they also create new entry/exit points, so pixeltroopers don´t need using doors anymore (mouse holing concept with blast move command). Other 3D damage geometry is roofs and the odd collapsed thing.

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

So a 1 level building with no roof, and walls wrapped in the ruins flavor object will then potentially keep the pixeltruppen at ground level so they don't climb their imaginary stair to their imaginary floors above - just say no boys!

This could then be expanded with taller flavour objects to create those shell like buildings, obviously making the models and placing them in the editor would be loads of work. Look great though.

The usable and functional geometry is provided by CM objects like buildings, walls and anything that can be placed on the map and is not a flavor. The (currently) 16x16m ruins flavor then can enclose these and otherwise is disfunctional facades like is any the other flavors as well. Similar to film sets with stuff made of wood and papier mâché. But the idea gives quite a lot of possibilities (for eye candy). We just need more and different types of these then adapted to objects of choice. But main issue with flavors as big like these, all of it vanishes in thin air once some large HE hits the objects placement node on the terrain mesh. Just like other flavors or trees which leave no traces if enough HE fell on them.

Also placement could be somewhat difficult if ground is not even. Any tilted ground mesh triangle makes the flavor tilt as well (like mentioned small tree flavor object). At least if placement node is a tilted one.

This one was bits of tricky as ground mesh is fairly rough around placement node. You can also see from the low and tall brick walls getting tilted as well.

wyNY8Q8.jpg

Edited by RockinHarry

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

lol yes and you shouldn´t get distracted from it. Your latest findings could prove vital for some my running and oncoming projects containing lots of 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲😁😍

You're a hard task master ... I'll get right on it Guv'

Yup, indi builds is multi layer damage textures and mod ones is 3D geometry. All are abstracted versions of what can be considered new apertures likely beeing defined in META. So it´s not just visuals as apertures is likely larger than undamaged walls which has consequences. On ground level they also create new entry/exit points, so pixeltroopers don´t need using doors anymore (mouse holing concept with blast move command). Other 3D damage geometry is roofs and the odd collapsed thing...

The usable and functional geometry is provided by CM objects like buildings, walls and anything that can be placed on the map and is not a flavor. The (currently) 16x16m ruins flavor then can enclose these and otherwise is disfunctional facades like is any the other flavors as well. Similar to film sets with stuff made of wood and papier mâché. But the idea gives quite a lot of possibilities (for eye candy). We just need more and different types of these then adapted to objects of choice. But main issue with flavors as big like these, all of it vanishes in thin air once some large HE hits the objects placement node on the terrain mesh. Just like other flavors or trees which leave no traces if enough HE fell on them.

Not that I'm planning to make any of these, but this is all good info thanks. If we had an invisible, whole, small one or two level house inside a flavor wrecked house, but left the destroyed house model alone, the when the flavor object (the toughest we could choose probably) is destroyed by HE it would hopefully coincide with the house being destroyed, then we would be left with the same pile of ruins as we have now in game, the odd collapsed thing that you describe. It would obviously be a bit of a chance affair since the timing of either the invisible house or invisible flavor getting destroyed coincidentally are not predictable, but overall it would probably achieve something useable. A lot of test firing is probably needed to see what the odds and behaviour are like.

Also placement could be somewhat difficult if ground is not even. Any tilted ground mesh triangle makes the flavor tilt as well (like mentioned small tree flavor object). At least if placement node is a tilted one.

This one was bits of tricky as ground mesh is fairly rough around placement node. You can also see from the low and tall brick walls getting tilted as well.

Yes placing on level ground or creating terraces would be best for anything more sloped than a few degrees from horizontal. Don't want no Crooked Houses!

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

You're a hard task master ... I'll get right on it Guv'

lool 😅 I´m getting highly distracted from all the latest developments as well. So my maps will take a while.......no hurry. First I need some the maps beeing translated to CM by Butschi´s Phyton scripts. Before I don´t get that to work, not a single tree will be placed anyway.

Not that I'm planning to make any of these, but this is all good info thanks. If we had an invisible, whole, small one or two level house inside a flavor wrecked house, but left the destroyed house model alone, the when the flavor object (the toughest we could choose probably) is destroyed by HE it would hopefully coincide with the house being destroyed, then we would be left with the same pile of ruins as we have now in game, the odd collapsed thing that you describe. It would obviously be a bit of a chance affair since the timing of either the invisible house or invisible flavor getting destroyed coincidentally are not predictable, but overall it would probably achieve something useable. A lot of test firing is probably needed to see what the odds and behaviour are like.

Yup, worth testing for sure. For building type combos (CM building + flavor) I think the flavor facades will remain standing til the very last second since it´s origin will be inside the building. Maybe it remains even entirely uneffected. Got to check Aquila´s ruin object again for this. Things could be different when combined with other non building type objects (like the rubble mound + brick wall example). Then the flavors placement point (origin) will be exposed to HE right from the start and can get removed early.

Yes placing on level ground or creating terraces would be best for anything more sloped than a few degrees from horizontal. Don't want no Crooked Houses!

If one knows where placement point IS exactly one can avoid the hassles and make sure at least this one is level ground. For most the small 1 - 2m size flavors it´s quite obvious, but for objects as large as the 16x16m ruins it´s more of a guesswork.

Ok a while ago I made a set of Modular builds, my brief to myself was I wanted them hollowed out but needs auto window placement on any width building, so the user (and me) do not have to piss about clicking the windows to fit. I remembered seeing Mod 7 in the vanila Modular buildings files folder. This was so different to the rest, what it does is basically have apertures in the walls for windows, as normal, but the window does not show, there is just the square hole were the windows usually are, you can still put the window frames on the regular windows it also has some depth in the window apertures where when i cut them out they are paper thin. So I had an idea what if I used Mod 7 as a template and built 1-9 Modular builds, as this fitted the brief perfectly... this would allow the user to play the vanilla maps or any RT game without messing the windows format up, and in my style of damaged texture look that I like, rather than the defaults (so clean they look like they had just been built...lol). I don't know why but it worked the whole 1-9 buildings were ok after I changed the graphics and added my own textures. So now if the player likes he can just use these... Not as immersive as using my full set of mod builds but a great solution to what used to be a big problem for me. See below...

I think this concept was by Benpark if I remember correctly, i have just utilized it further than BF dare to go... Cheers

RiiA4M.png

I like it when you can see the troops in the buildings...

Rii8tA.png

You can clearly see that firing and observation is not obstructed at all...

RiWalD.png

On the ground floor notice no windows or doors,.

Edited by NPye

3 hours ago, NPye said:

Ok a while ago I made a set of Modular builds, my brief to myself was I wanted them hollowed out but needs auto window placement on any width building, so the user (and me) do not have to piss about clicking the windows to fit. I remembered seeing Mod 7 in the vanila Modular buildings files folder. This was so different to the rest, what it does is basically have apertures in the walls for windows, as normal, but the window does not show, there is just the square hole were the windows usually are, you can still put the window frames on the regular windows it also has some depth in the window apertures where when i cut them out they are paper thin. So I had an idea what if I used Mod 7 as a template and built 1-9 Modular builds, as this fitted the brief perfectly... this would allow the user to play the vanilla maps or any RT game without messing the windows format up, and in my style of damaged texture look that I like, rather than the defaults (so clean they look like they had just been built...lol). I don't know why but it worked the whole 1-9 buildings were ok after I changed the graphics and added my own textures. So now if the player likes he can just use these... Not as immersive as using my full set of mod builds but a great solution to what used to be a big problem for me. See below...

I don't fully understand what is happening here as I'm so unfamiliar with the way of the buildings Jedi. Whenever I mess with buildings to check out how something works it's invariably an independent building. However, I do appreciate your continued efforts to make your vision work and have a way for even the most inexperienced of us to partake in the goodness. When I finally have time I will have to study the bricks and mortar more carefully. Thanks Nigel. 🤘 Now I go fix tram carriages ...