Graphical issues with CMAK & CMBB

I have the battlefront.com versions of both CMAK and CMBB. When I initially load up a scenario in either game I have an insanely low framerate (perhaps 2 or 3 frames per second). This is easily fixed by alt-tabbing out and loading back in. The games then run smoothly, but much of the text becomes completely unreadable. I tried downloading the GOG version of CMAK. That launches with a smooth framerate and clear text. But half of the screen is blacked out.

I am on PC running Windows 10 Pro

My graphics card is an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor

I am using DirectX 12

My display is 3840 x 2160

Screenshot (49).jpg

Screenshot (48).jpg

3 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

Is it possible to have it moved?

How did you purchase? If the game is on your account, it may be possible to download the latest version. Unfortunately, I bought mine at the time in a computershop on Windows XP. If your installation number is on your account uninstall, download and reinstall may solve the problem. 

Well, I still haven't figured out the unreadable text issue with the Battlefront version (which is the latest version, 1.04). But I managed to get the GOG version working fine by setting my display resolution to match the best resolution offered by the game (2048 x 1536). Which with the benefit of hindsight probably should have been the first thing I tried.

On 6/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, Centurian52 said:But I managed to get the GOG version working fine by setting my display resolution to match the best resolution offered by the game (2048 x 1536). Which with the benefit of hindsight probably should have been the first thing I tried.

You really want to play that? Out of curiosity, I fired up my CMAK a few weeks ago. My first reaction was: „Boah, no!“ 🤢 Though I remember that I liked the graphics back then. But the step back is just too big.

Graphics have never been a priority for me. The classic Combat Mission games may not look as nice as the newer ones, but they are still among the best tactical wargames around (probably second only to the the newer Combat Mission games). And besides, if you want to play any early-mid WW2 content (1940-1943) then you pretty much have to go back to the older games. The CMx2 games simply haven't released any content for those years, with the absolute earliest setting so far being July 1943 for the invasion of Sicily in CMFI.

And unfortunately even the older games haven't gone as far back as September 1939 or May/June 1940. To get those campaigns I had to turn to Theatre of War which, although it is also among the best tactical wargames around, is still not as good as the early Combat Mission games. I am doing some May/June 1940 gameplay in CMAK, but since there are no French tanks in CMAK (since the game is supposed to be set in North Africa) I have to turn to Theatre of War to get some scenarios with French armor. So a full WW2 run from beginning to end requires a combination of Theatre of War, CMx1, and CMx2.

As far as I remember, there were a few CMAK scenarios for France 1940 available. Though they used substitutions for vehicles, which were not included in CMAK. I never liked that idea.

And, did you consider to play Steel Panthers? That would be a fairly good source for early war scenarios, too.

Of course we cannot compare the cm1 with cm2 globally, I will only say that when we could transform  some scenarios and campaign from cm1 to cm2 we will have a lot of interresting scenars Camps, often I go back to cm1 and play it again but I am only frustrate to the way to play the old system of gameplay, only to said that after 20 years the system of BF continue to work and was already very advanced in this time (but is just my opinion)

I know this dont have nothing to do with graphicsbut I don't find another thread to explain.

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Of course we cannot compare the cm1 with cm2 globally, I will only say that when we could transform  some scenarios and campaign from cm1 to cm2 we will have a lot of interresting scenars Camps, often I go back to cm1 and play it again but I am only frustrate to the way to play the old system of gameplay, only to said that after 20 years the system of BF continue to work and was already very advanced in this time (but is just my opinion)

I know this dont have nothing to do with graphicsbut I don't find another thread to explain.

JM

Yeah, very well said. CMx1 was very playable and obviously provided a huge content. After initial doubts, I loved it in those days. But as indicated above, time changes. There are some other games, where I feel the same way. Great back then, but not so any more.

To take it to another level: Strange, some games seem to be playable for ever. Chess, for example. Though it lacks visual appeal and „realistic” detail. 🤓

On 6/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, StieliAlpha said:

Chess, for example. Though it lacks visual appeal and „realistic” detail.

A Chess player takes to CM like a duck to water. The King Objective and you need to maneuver. The Castle, Bishops and Queen linear danger zones. K-Terrain the 4 center squares. The correlation is all there. 

8 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

A Chess player takes to CM like a duck to water. The King Objective and you need to maneuver. The Castle, Bishops and Queen linear danger zones. K-Terrain the 4 center squares. The correlation is all there. 

Thanks for the reply, though I don’t quite understand what you are trying to explain.

4 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Why are we talking about chess in a topic about CM1 graphics issues in the CM2 part of the forum?

On 6/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, StieliAlpha said:

Chess, for example. Though it lacks visual appeal and „realistic” detail

I don't know about you but we live in a free country with freedom of speech. 

10 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Why are we talking about chess in a topic about CM1 graphics issues in the CM2 part of the forum?

I think, the „why“ would be pretty obvious, if you would actually read the thread.

Otherwise: Who is „we“? So far, Chuck and me discussed my initial remark. But you are welcome to join, if you would like to contribute.

Edited by StieliAlpha