WOW! Plus, need book and movie suggestions

My copy of CM finally (well, ok, it DID only take 3 business days) arrived yesterday.

WOW! Anyone who is still playing the demo needs to just pony up the cash and grab this game!

I'm grabbing the 2 mod packs now, and grabbed all of Wild Bill's scenarios last night. I think it's GREAT that guys who helped with the game's creation are still giving us great new stuff! Thanks guys!

Now then, when I get into a game as much as I am into CM, I like to read books on the topic and rent a few good movies... to make it a learning experience.

I plan on renting my favorite, Guns Of Navarone... but besides that, I have no ideas.

Can I get some book (fact or fiction) and movie ideas from you guys?

Thanks in advance!

I'm quite new too, welcome onboard.

I've not read too much books about WWII, but the two from mr. Ambrose ("citizens in uniform" and "Company of Brothers") were really interesting and well written IMHO.

Probably some english friend in this forum can correct me if i've made some mistake in the book's titles (i have to translate it from italian).

About movies "save private Ryan" it's quite good (i'm not so well informed to judge on the historical and technical point of view) and can be replayed with the good scenario released by Wild Bill

------------------

"Memento Audere Semper" - G. D'Annunzio

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

"When Trumpets Fade" and "Stalengrad"

are my recomendations for someone who has seen Saving Private Ryan. Trumpets is only a year or 2 old and Stalengrad is in your foreign film section at you local video store.

Mr. Clark:

Some of your best books ever will be personal accounts. If you want a book that will put you there, I HIGHLY recommend "Currahee" by Donald Burgett. It's a personal account of a paratrooper in the 101st at Normandy. His highly descriptive writing style is amazing. Hell, I went to Normandy this summer to walk his route that he has on a map in the book. A Must read. He also has two other books that continue his story, "The Road to Arnhem" and Seven Roads To Hell." The last book has a great description of the battle of Noville, that's the Team Desobry scenario of the Battle of the Bulge. You can get these at Amazon.com

Other books of GREAT Personal accounts:

"If You Survive" -a 4th Inf Div Platoon Leader

"The Unknown Soldier" THE premier personal account of a German soldier on the Eastern Front

"Hit Hard" One of the rare Armor personal accounts of a Sherman Platoon Leader

"Devils in Baggy Pants" -Written by a paratrooper in the 82nd AB Div- the only man of his company to survive the war uninjured!

The list goes on. You have a lot of reading to do.......... wink.gif

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

A factual book I enjoyed was 'A fine Night for Tanks', by Ken Tout, pub Sutton Publishing (ISBN 0-7509-1730-X), which is a true account of his part (as a tank commander) in 'Totalise 1' (part of the British attempt to push South round Caen). Tout also wrote a fictionalised account of the same period, which combines several peoples' experiences, and is called 'Tank, Tank' (can't find my copy to give you the details, but someone will have them). This is really good for the feel of warfare in this period (because he isn't constrained by having to be limited to his experiences).

Finally 'No Triumphant Procession (The forgotten battles of April 1945), John Russell, Arms and Armour Press, (ISBN 1-85409-234-0) gives a good account of some small unit fighting on the north German plain late in the war (surprisingly vicious, some German units didn't quit!)

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

Guest Silesian-jaeger

The following by Stephen Ambrose; Pegasus Bridge, Band of Brothers (will be a movie series starting onHBO in January 2001), Citizen Soldiers, and D-Day. By Cornelius Ryan; A Bridge Too Far, The Last Battle, The Longest Day, and finally " Panzer Leader" by Heinz Guderian. As for movies, A Bridge Too Far is a must. Hope those help.

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

Walter, you forgot about a very good book (though no movie version). Called Ortona. You can guess what battle it's about. I'm hopefully getting it for my B-day, and greatly anticipating it. After all, the battle was nicknamed "Canada's stalingrad".. heard nothing but good about this book, but i suggest you look around about it before buying redface.gif)

------------------

The worst part of any conflict is peacekeeping, it is the time when only one side may fire.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Now then, when I get into a game as much as I am into CM, I like to read books on the topic and rent a few good movies... to make it a learning experience.

I plan on renting my favorite, Guns Of Navarone... but besides that, I have no ideas.

Can I get some book (fact or fiction) and movie ideas from you guys?

Thanks in advance!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My favorite... A Bridge too Far. It's got Cliff from Cheers in it (only a small role though)!!! THe way the British Soldiers a portrayed is awesome. The Brits steal the movie in my opinion.

well I'll throw in two I haven't seen yet.

"Soldat" by Siegfried Knappe ISBN 0-440-21526-9

and

"Panzer Commander" by Hans Von Luck ISBN 0-440-20802-5

both published by Dell books

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

You could also try:-

'Grenadier' by Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer for his account of the war from his point of view.

'Hill 112' by Major J.J. How, about some particularly vicious fighting in Normandy.

' Lost Victories' by Erich Von Manstein for a staff view of where the German High Command messed up.

These are a few I recommend, but the list is endless.