Getting US Halftracks to fire their MGs

So I have an M3A2 with a driver only. There are no target commands available. I put two more guys in the vehicle and I then get the target commands. I set a red target line. But the MGs don't fire!? 

What am I doing wrong? The orientation of the vehicle seems OK at least for the front ring mounted MG. The target is valid since the red line sticks.

What animation (if any) should I be seeing? Do the ptruppen stand up and operate the MGs? My guys just stay seated in the vehicle. 

OPEN UP

 Available for both vehicles and passengers. Open-up is a toggle. When activated (highlighted), it instructs the vehicle passengers or crew to open all available hatches. If the vehicle has none available, nothing happens. When de-activated, it tells the crew or passengers to close all hatches.

Restrictions - available only for vehicles and passengers.

Example - fighting from an open hatch increases the field of view and battlefield awareness of a vehicle crew tremendously (by eliminating blind spots created by the vehicle’s vision ports), and even allows passengers to use personal weapons, but it can be very dangerous and lead to casualties, especially if the enemy returns fire from close distance. Use this command to choose between situational awareness or added protection, as the situation demands

CM Engine Manual v4.00.pdf, Pg 60

1 hour ago, Zardoz01 said:

😕  sure but a halftrack doesn't have hatches... nuttin' but blue sky above...

You better go to Camera position 1 and look what the vehicle is doing. Open means he is standing behind the .50 Cal with his heads up. The other possibility is he has no contact icon no contact icon means no LOS. I think you manually highlight a waypoint and plot a fire mission. The game doesn't always work that way. In the halftrack the driver spot an enemy it doesn't mean the gunner spotted it too. Page 40-42 in the game manual explains it, the game unlike other games does relative spotting. If you try to shoot a target just because you see a contact icon in a house doesn't mean the gunner in the halftrack sees it. 

11 hours ago, mjkerner said:

IIRC, troops in the back of the HT will also be able to fire in Open Up mode.

Yes, the problem was he couldn't use the MG. I recommend always to use Camera position 1 for an objective evaluation. I found out for example if you plot a light fire mission on the Sherman some crews don't use the .50 Cal and some others do. For a recon by fire the results may be disappointing for this reason. Thanks for your contribution and attention. 

• 4 weeks later...

As we are on the topic of halftracks. The scenario I am playing has a couple of halftracks with 2 MGs. I've been trying to get the 2nd MG  to shoot something. Anything! I've set the HT to sit sideways to the target but even then the 2nd operator will sit at the gun and not do anything. Both are equally placed to the target yet only one shoots. Plenty of ammo is available. Is there a trick to this?