Feature Request

Embarking pax:

Since mounted personnel won't leave a vehicle while it's moving, would it also be possible to have a vehicle wait for assigned personnel to mount up before moving unless it's more order would bring the two closer together? At the mo, one has to order a vehicle to a building and order the inf. to embark. However, beyond that, further orders to the vehicle usually have to wait for the following order phase, because if one doesn't time enough pauses correctly, the vehicle can take off without its pax! The other outcome is that both sit for the better part of a minute, at the spot the pax were picked up, utterly vulnerable before new move orders are issued.

Perhaps just a whole new order available for vehicles to the effect of 'Wait for passengers (pax)'?

Another situation with an unwated result is when one wants the vehicle to stop (pause) for a certain amount of seconds (for example 30) on a spot to drop off infantry and then drive away to another spot. The result is that the infantry never leaves the vehicle, although it wouldn't take them too long, but sit tight in it. I suspect that the game engine is treating the paused vehicle as being on the move and of that reason doesn't allow the infantry to leave it.

When it comes to a vehicle to pause and pick people up I think one just has to guess the amount of seconds it will take to move from somewhere to the spot where the vehicle is waiting and for the infantry to get up onto the vehicle.

Edited by BornGinger

2 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

Another situation with an unwated result is when one wants the vehicle to stop (pause) for a certain amount of seconds (for example 30) on a spot to drop off infantry and then drive away to another spot. The result is that the infantry never leaves the vehicle, although it wouldn't take them too long, but sit tight in it. I suspect that the game engine is treating the paused vehicle as being on the move and of that reason doesn't allow the infantry to leave it.

Interesting. Not sure I've come across that, but thinking about it, I may not have used pause like that. Good tip to know

Edited by RMM

1 hour ago, BornGinger said:

When it comes to a vehicle to pause and pick people up I think one just has to guess the amount of seconds it will take to move from somewhere to the spot where the vehicle is waiting and for the infantry to get up onto the vehicle.

This, exactly. 

You can embark troops while a vehicle is held stationary by the Pause command.....Just need to pause long enough.

Disembarking only happens fom a vehicle that has completed all of its plotted movement.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You can embark troops while a vehicle is held stationary by the Pause command.....Just need to pause long enough.

Yes but no. Like I wrote; it cab be a bit of a guessing game, and sometimes, one doesn't guess it right. I just had an HMG crew that should have had enough time to get to the jeep, but maybe the tear down took longer than I expected. Regardless, despite my putting a significant pause on it's movement, the jeep took off, just as the crew got it! Reality took a hit :(

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I suspect we've all seen our pixeltruppen stare despondently at a receding cloud of dust at some point.....It's when you don't notice and the silly b******s set off after their transport on foot that things really start to go to pot!  ;)

Ohh yes. They started to do that! Ironically, that I can relate to in reality! "Come back here you S** of a B***h!!"

13 hours ago, RMM said:

Embarking pax:

Since mounted personnel won't leave a vehicle while it's moving, would it also be possible to have a vehicle wait for assigned personnel to mount up before moving unless it's more order would bring the two closer together? At the mo, one has to order a vehicle to a building and order the inf. to embark. However, beyond that, further orders to the vehicle usually have to wait for the following order phase, because if one doesn't time enough pauses correctly, the vehicle can take off without its pax! The other outcome is that both sit for the better part of a minute, at the spot the pax were picked up, utterly vulnerable before new move orders are issued.

Perhaps just a whole new order available for vehicles to the effect of 'Wait for passengers (pax)'?

I do it as follows. I give the mount order and estimate a rendezvous point for the vehicle and the passengers. The rendezvous point is a terrain-friendly feature for the vehicle. The vehicle can be some distance away it doesn't matter if you make both units travel to the same spot. A: Give the unit a mount order as usual. B: Make both units move to the rendezvous point. 

5 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Small correction you need only to plot the vehicle to the rendezvous point. You can change as usual the moving speed of the units. Just a little guess work. 

boarding.jpg

boardingb.jpg

boardingc.jpg

That's essentially what I do, but as you noted, there is some guess work, and if not guessed correctly, the vehicle can take off before the pax have loaded

How can the vehicle take off? The destination of the 'Truck' is the farming complex where HQ is. That is where he stops, the passengers will go wherever the truck stops. Just make sure the truck is in a secure location. I don't plot a travel waypoint during the turn the passengers are boarding or you can do by pausing the truck. The truck must also stop before the units can debus. 

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:
17 hours ago, RMM said:

Yes but no. Like I wrote; it cab be a bit of a guessing game, and sometimes, one doesn't guess it right.

Practice makes perfect. 

Yeah, I mostly get it right but every now and then I have guys chasing a vehicle around - sigh. I think it would be helpful the only issue is the added complication in the UI. One way to reduce that would be to have it just in the regular pause cycle. Instead of 5s, 10s, 15s etc. for a vehicle that can hold passengers it could be "wait for pax", 5s, 10s, 15s, etc.

3 minutes ago, IanL said:

Yeah, I mostly get it right but every now and then I have guys chasing a vehicle around - sigh. I think it would be helpful the only issue is the added complication in the UI. One way to reduce that would be to have it just in the regular pause cycle. Instead of 5s, 10s, 15s etc. for a vehicle that can hold passengers it could be "wait for pax", 5s, 10s, 15s, etc.

I'd rather see time spent on other issues TBH.....Red comms in CM:SF2 are a shambles!  Uncons just don't have any.  MUCH bigger fish IMHO.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 minutes ago, IanL said:

Whether you mount or dismount it should be done behind a terrain feature away from the enemy. 

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd rather see time spent on other issues TBH.....Red comms in CM:SF2 are a shambles!  Uncons just don't have any.  MUCH bigger fish IMHO.

I agree with you there, TBH I never played for 'Red'. Is it on par with a WW2 unit? I stayed in enough 3rd World countries and most kids there have a mobile phone. 

33 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

How can the vehicle take off? The destination of the 'Truck' is the farming complex where HQ is. That is where he stops, the passengers will go wherever the truck stops. Just make sure the truck is in a secure location. I don't plot a travel waypoint during the turn the passengers are boarding or you can do by pausing the truck. The truck must also stop before the units can debus. 

Well, this is the issue in question; hence the feature request. The only way to make sure the pax don't 'miss the bus' is to not issue the xport any orders beyond moving to where the pax will be picked up. Only once pax are onboard, then orders are issued in next order phase, but in the meantime, both sit idly by and quite vulnerable.

5 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Whether you mount or dismount it should be done behind a terrain feature away from the enemy. 

Sometimes, as I just ruefully found out, there's a LoS that you didn't notice but the enemy did!

9 minutes ago, RMM said:

Sometimes, as I just ruefully found out, there's a LoS that you didn't notice but the enemy did!

TRP's in blind spots, I don't play games with them. Sometimes you get five of them and most approaches get blocked. The AI attacking doesn't stand a chance.