Lucky Strike's Mods: Hedgerow Hell - it's here!

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

They way itĀ shouldĀ work if you follow Peter Panzer's tips is that when you click on Edit Profile, the first section is called Basic Info.Ā One fieldĀ will have you date of birth, the other field in your case should read Senior Member, which you can edit with something witty. Or, not as the case may be.

Ā 

3 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

It's not a big issue but in my case if I do that it says birthday 'not telling' (so my comments on age and senior status may not be accurate šŸ˜‰) and underneath there's a 'notify status updates' switch which is turned off.Ā  There's nowt else.Ā  I'll try turning the update status on...

Edit 1.Ā  That made nae difference.Ā  Do I need to put in my actual birthday instead of not telling? I'll try...

Edit 2. That made nae difference either.

+1 What Vacilllator said.

I think we remain as seniors until we depart the mortal coil and then we get some other rank, or at least the choice.

Oh well, gives us time to come up with something apt, not just MOD GOD!!!! Man I was looking forward to that.

Ā 

On 11/10/2020 at 2:16 AM, Lucky_Strike said:

Great, thanks for these Lethaface. Itā€™s amazing to see the textures afresh, even though Iā€™m so familiar with them.

Hmm, it looks to me like the various shaders arenā€™t loading. I can see that you have the ini selected, but only three shaders look to be working. I doubt that the Mask will work too effectively as that tends to be very specific to screen res,Ā aspect ratio etc. You also wonā€™t notice too much of an effect with eye adaption. What version of ReShade is that? What I might need to do is update my ReShade and try to get a newer version of the ini for you. I can always revertĀ back to my current version.

I did install the latest version and updated all shaders/textures to see if that fixed anything. If you make a newer version of the .ini that would be very much appreciated! :)

1 hour ago, Lethaface said:

I did install the latest version and updated all shaders/textures to see if that fixed anything. If you make a newer version of the .ini that would be very much appreciated! :)

Yeah, Iā€™m gonna look at this, but it is a weakness of ReShade - it isĀ prone to updates breaking the settings. It is possible to open the ini files in a text editor and read the settings from it manually, but itā€™s a bit of a faff.

Watch this space ...

It's dark, oh so dark...

I'm play testing a nice campaign in Nothern France (nudge, nudge, say no more) and its early in the morning...

Someone seems to have left a light on in the top house (I know, not really but it looks nice):

617857943_CombatMissionBattleForNormandyScreenshot2020_11_11-21_59_10.19(2).png.bc5b07fc25b2fad13b1e0577fd3004c0.png

At the same moment, looking from a different angle, there's no light:

316125944_CombatMissionBattleForNormandyScreenshot2020_11_11-22_00_42.01(2).png.7d3cf2c17c7db8067ce034dc45bdecb5.png

@Lucky_Strike is this an artefact of your lovely work or something more generic to the game?Ā  I ask because I'm also getting lighting effects on one side of my bocage (like the buildings in the grainy screenshots), which do not always face where the sun might be about to shine...

Not a biggy but curious.

9 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Never mind, we will just have to wait for one of the old codgers to grant us a statusĀ upgrade.

I didn't know there was such a thing as an "upgrade". The "Enable status updates" takes you from Junior to Senior. After that you can call yourself what you like.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

47 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I didn't know there was such a thing as an "upgrade". The "Enable status updates" takes you from Junior to Senior. After that you can call yourself what you like.

I was very quickly upgraded to senior somehow, not of my own making.Ā  Not a problem.

However, the bit about calling yourself what you like does not seem to be an option for me, again not a problem but perhaps we've identified a forum glitch?Ā  I've seen two cats tonight, but they're both my own, and normally try to sit on my keyboard or behind the heat exhausts šŸˆšŸ˜‰.

At this rate I can see myself being put back to Junior or even Juvenile member...

Edited by Vacilllator

@Lucky_Strike is this an artefact of your lovely work or something more generic to the game?Ā  I ask because I'm also getting lighting effects on one side of my bocage (like the buildings in the grainy screenshots), which do not always face where the sun might be about to shine...

Not a biggy but curious.

Ah, I think the lightĀ patch isĀ an effect ofĀ LOD and those mini ground tiles. If you used my ground textures then the colouring of the mini ground tiles isĀ not too well coordinated with the grass tiles, or something like that, so you get these strange bright squares. I will try to figure this out when Iā€™veĀ made all myĀ new ground tiles, but I think itā€™sĀ also dependent, to an extent, on oneā€™s GPU. Iā€™mĀ pretty sure itā€™s beenĀ mentioned multiple times in other threads, not so sure if itā€™s ever been fully addressed. Also this explains the draw distance line that you had noticed previously. I did some checksĀ after you mentioned this and was getting draw distances of about 350-400m ThisĀ was consistent across all the resolution of my mod, and the same as when using default textures.Ā The line is where the mini ground tiles kick in. With default textures itā€™s much less noticeable.

The engine has some weird lighting/shading effects that canā€™t be resolved. The casting of shadows in the opposite direction to what they ought to be has been mentioned many times. Itā€™s a limitation of the engine I canā€™t do anything about Iā€™m afraid. It can be more or less noticeable depending on the time of day, intensity of light, colours etc. I personally have shadows and shaders always on as I prefer things like tanks to be anchored to the ground, but I think the shadowsĀ are automatically off if the light is diffuse, like when itā€™s raining, though donā€™t quote me on that. Sometimes things can look better without shadows or shaders, but then you get floaty tanks ... Basically itā€™s a weakness of the game engineĀ that shadows are either on, harsh and unidirectional or off. In reality there are always shadows, even on sunless, heavily overcast days, they are just softer whilstĀ contrast is much lower so they donā€™t appear as dark. This is what the game should emulate, but unfortunately it canā€™t. ReShade can be made to affect how dark the shadows appear, but this can come at a cost to other things like how black appears. There are some very clever light adaptive effects in ReShade which work to emulate how the human eye reacts to very bright/contrastyĀ light situations, such as a very sunny day. These effects can lighten dark/shadowĀ areas, such as under trees, when looking into them whilst at the same time burning out the bright surrounds/background. If the view is switched to the bright areas thenĀ shadows plunge into darkness whilst the bright areas become clear, no longer burnt out orĀ over bright. This emulates the opening and closing of the iris to allow more or less light in. It does this in real-time with a subtle, programmable delay switching from one to the other. Quite amazing and very realistic.

The ingameĀ Movie Lighting mode will exaggerate a lot of the artefacts and odd shadows, and your GPU may also have some influence depending on settings.Ā If you use ReShade itā€™s best to notĀ run it with Movie Lighting as the two can clash and are effectively doing similar jobs. Having said that if you only have simple things running in ReShade like a colour LUT and letterboxing then there wonā€™t be much ofĀ a problem. Movie Lighting and ReShade donā€™t mix whenever anything depth-related or focus/AAA related is applied in ReShade. I think this is because Movie Lighting in the game turns off the AAA effects and has some unknown effect of depth

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Are you also using Reshade?Ā  (FWIW I have Lucky's mod withoutĀ Reshade and it seems to be working well.)

This goes to my points about contrast and colour making some of the odd in-game artefacts more noticeable. If you run my mod with just the normal game lighting then youā€™ll see that the colours are not so far from the original game colours. BF were quite careful when they made the original textures to give us fairly natural colours. We see them as quite bright and almost lurid, but actually nature is bright. The big difference is that when we look at nature most of what we see is reflected light one way or another, whilst looking at our screens is illuminated or projected light, weā€™re inclined to turn it down a bit. We generally only turn down nature in bright sunshine, or reflected bright light like from snow,Ā when our eyes just canā€™t cope -Ā sunglasses or a big hat brim.

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The "Enable status updates" takes you from Junior to Senior.

And there was me thinking it was longevity on the forum, eighteen years and a senior for the last three or so, which was actually down to the flick of a switch!

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

After that you can call yourself what you like.

Thatā€™s the wifeā€™s job, she definitely has all sorts of wonderful names for me.

Juvenile

This isnā€™t so bad, better than Senior Member, more character to it somehow. Iā€™m also thinking of other titles, not for yourself of course, just something with a bit of character, for some reason Village Idiot sprung to mind. Has fantastic connotations...

Who runs this damn place anyway?Ā WeĀ need to ask one of those in the know, Warts obviously doesnā€™t have a clue and we are completely feckless, how can we attract some attention to our plight?

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Well I changed my title with noĀ trouble. So not totally clueless. But without seeing what happens when you click on "Edit Profile" I can't really help any more.

Well to sum it up, we have no 'title' field to edit in our profiles.Ā  But I can see again that you obviously do šŸ˜‰, I like your new one...

Edited by Vacilllator

7 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

And there was me thinking it was longevity on the forum, eighteen years and a senior for the last three or so, which was actually down to the flick of a switch!

Interestingly (perhaps just to me šŸ˜‰ but anyway) I only joined in May and became a Senior Member about a month later.Ā  I have seen others with many years under their belts, with more posts and more likes and they are still shown as Junior Members.Ā  Plus my switch was not 'flicked' until 2 days ago as reported earlier in this thread, and my date of birth had not been entered either (but it may be on the BFC site).

So it's still a mystery to me.

7 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Ah, I think the lightĀ patch isĀ an effect ofĀ LOD and those mini ground tiles...

Thnaks for taking the time with all of that.Ā  It makes me think I need to experiment with settings a bit more and also the different res versions of the mod.Ā  If all else fails I can blame my GTX 1060...

For what its worth I'm using Vsync off, 3D models better, 3D texture quality better, Tree detail high, Shaders On.

Does that sound about right?

The draw distance on crops in fields can be as low as 35m in the really dark shots above, up to perhaps 90m on a sunny day.Ā  Don't think I ever get the 350-400m you mentioned.Ā  Unless our definitions of draw distance are different of course.

6 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Interestingly (perhaps just to me šŸ˜‰ but anyway) I only joined in May and became a Senior Member about a month later.Ā  I have seen others with many years under their belts, with more posts and more likes and they are still shown as Junior Members.Ā  Plus my switch was not 'flicked' until 2 days ago as reported earlier in this thread, and my date of birth had not been entered either (but it may be on the BFC site).

So it's still a mystery to me.

Yep, mystery indeed, as I said I think we need some How to instructions from one of the elders. Itā€™s a bit like the issue that comes up time and again with people running out of picture storage space. Itā€™s only when someone like Warts bothers to explain that we find out how things work around here. God knows what we do when thereā€™s a fire, whereā€™s the exit ...

5 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

That is very weird that some people a different layout to others. I was hoping to see you change yours to "Cider Boy", and Lucky Strike change his to "Smoke 'em if you got 'em". Or, something along those lines.

Meanwhile it's back to the hedgerows for me.

Well when the time comes, or if the time comes, I may have to forego ā€˜Mod Godā€™, which does actually already belong to Paul Weller,Ā and use ā€˜Itā€™s toasted!ā€™ instead.

BTW I like your new title, veryĀ appropriate. We could all useĀ that...

Ā 

5 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Thnaks for taking the time with all of that.Ā  It makes me think I need to experiment with settings a bit more and also the different res versions of the mod.Ā  If all else fails I can blame my GTX 1060...

For what its worth I'm using Vsync off, 3D models better, 3D texture quality better, Tree detail high, Shaders On.

Does that sound about right?

The draw distance on crops in fields can be as low as 35m in the really dark shots above, up to perhaps 90m on a sunny day.Ā  Don't think I ever get the 350-400m you mentioned.Ā  Unless our definitions of draw distance are different of course.

I define draw distance to the line at which the mini ground textures kick in. I guess there are also other distances such asĀ how far before certain doodads disappear, though this can vary quite a bit as you noticed with crops. Some of them, like brush seemĀ to never quite disappear. Trees change at another distance, so itā€™s really a case of which bugs one first I would say.

Your settings look fine, I donā€™t know ifĀ Vsync on or off has much of an effect, donā€™t really know what it is.Ā I think Better is fine for most settings, I run 3D models at Best with 3D textures at Better. Do you have Anti Aliasing on or off? Or are you letting the GPU control that? One thing to remember is that the game engine runs onĀ fairly old technology by todayā€™s game standards so thereā€™s only so far we can push it, or that itā€™s worth pushing.Ā The nVidia drivers allow for custom settings atĀ a per game level so itā€™s worth taking advantage of this if you run other moreĀ modern games as well.

The difference between High Res and Medium Res is quite minimal. You have to get right up close to really notice. If you havenā€™t tried them then a quick swap is worth a go. I generally run the Medium Res. Itā€™s only when I test and develop stuff that I use High Res. Also I have the luxury of two systems so I can keep the gaming rig set up at a sweet spot whilst I tend to design the mods on my Mac.

Ā 

Ā