Need some community help: Let's squash some bridge bugs!

Sadly we still get bridge bugs from time to time and personally I want to get to the root of the problem so we can solve it once and for all. Or as much as possible. I know it will be hard, but challenge accepted ;)

I have set up a "test arena" of bridges and vehicles to study bridge bugs and try to analyze why/when they occur. So I need some volunteers to run the test and provide me with saves, screenshots etc of bugs and I will complile it all somehow. This is the base test and it is for FB. I might tweek it further on depending on what hypotheses I want to test. There might also be a test with German vehicles (though I doubt the type of vehicle is the main problem) and one with diagonal bridges.

Any volunteers can drop me a line with your email adress so I can send a Dropbox invite with the test and folder in it to upload stuff.

Below is a part of the briefing of how I want the test to be conducted. But feel free to improvise as well. All data is good data.

3a9NaaF.png

"This test is designed to get to grips with the elusive bridge bug that occur in three forms: vehicles teleporting from under a bridge up onto it, vehicles falling down trough the bridge surface landing underneath it and finally, vehicles getting stuck on the bridge “rubber banding” / “jerking back and forth” and becoming permanently stuck.

I have set up lanes of successive bridges to make it easier to test many bridges quickly in successive turns, using several vehicles at the same time. There are also lanes for vehicles to pass underneath bridges. Each bridge type is tested in four lanes with slight variations on how the anchor points are designed, elevation points around the bridges and if there is a road under the bridge.

The test should be carried out as follows: The entire map is a set up zone so tanks and vehicles can be placed wherever needed at the start of the test. Then plot waypoints and at the end of the orders phase save. This is very important to be able to go back and check for details if a bug appears in the action phase. If a bug appears, save again and put both in a folder with you forum handle that is in the Dropbox folder. Also name the action phase save with the red location indications where bugs occur for ease of use/analysis. Another reason for having both saves is to check if the bug always happens when the action phase is underway or not. That will point to if the bug is consistent given a set of given factors or if it is a random glitch tha occurs regardless of those factors. In the latter case, the bug will be much harder to identify and squash.

When you plot waypoints use different speeds, approach from the North/South, direction of paths, interval of waypoints, waypoints close to the edge of a bridge or close to pillars (underneath). You can also place vehicles on bridges as obstacles. The idea is to try to “break” normal conditions so that a bug trigger. For the underneath passes plot try passages from both the East and the West side of the map and different passes under the bridges where it is possible."

All of the following are candidates for triggering the issue IMHO:

Changing unit orders while traversing the bridge.

Pausing or stopping the unit on the bridge itself.

Placing movement waypoints on the bridge itself.

& Here is an odd anecdote relating to the issue (sadly no supporting save).....While testing 'Coup'd'etat' for @MOS:96B2P, I gave one of my tanks orders to cross the bridge and watched the whole replay.....No issues.

I then fully wound back the replay and watched some other nearby action.  Some occurence or other made me feel the need to partially wind back the in-progress replay, the tank was about half-way accross the bridge at this point.  This immediately triggered the bug in the replay, even though it wasn't there before!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

All of the following are candidates for triggering the issue IMHO:

Changing unit orders while traversing the bridge.

Pausing or stopping the unit on the bridge itself.

Placing movement waypoints on the bridge itself.

It also happens without these.

Edit: But now that I think about it, when I see units stuck on bridges, it's often when two or more units are trying to cross at the same time, so that the game automatically makes some of them pause for 2 seconds. Maybe that's a clue.

Still, it also happens when vehicles cross alone. Maybe related to spotting enemy contacts while crossing?

Edited by Bulletpoint

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

& Here is an odd anecdote relating to the issue (sadly no supporting save).....While testing 'Coup'd'etat' for @MOS:96B2P, I gave one of my tanks orders to cross the bridge and watched the whole replay.....No issues.

I then fully wound back the replay and watched some other nearby action.  Some occurence or other made me feel the need to partially wind back the in-progress replay, the tank was about half-way accross the bridge at this point.  This immediately triggered the bug in the replay, even though it wasn't there before!  :o

That is the problem with this particular bug, it is hard to reproduce, so hard to figure out what could be causing it.

I have played a bunch of scenarios recently in CMBS, CMRT and CMFB and had zero issues moving tanks and other vehicles across bridges. 

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

[snip]

Never heard of such a thing or seen it. Can you remember which sort of bug it was - drop down, rubber-band or teleport? Can you remember which bridge so I can have a look in the editor?

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This immediately triggered the bug in the replay, even though it wasn't there before!  :o

So hang on. I thought a replay is a replay, full stop.  It can't change if you play it again from a different angle can it?

If it can I might replay some of the turns in my less successful games until I get a better result 😉

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Try doing what I did.....See if it happens for you.

Okay but I think Coup d'Etat is not in BN or RT?  And I'm mourning Eddie Van Halen, so not that focused.  But I'd like to try to replicate your issue.  Will try a few replays of similar situations if I can find them...