OT- B17 2 Has gone Gold

Guest goonch

Just in case some of you are interested. B-17 2 being developed by Wayward Studios has gone gold.

Even though I am an active player of CM, I have been waiting for this one for quite some time.

As per www.bombs-away.net:

Hello Folks,

Tried to get an email to Darren, but our emails server is down. I couldn't wait any longer to tell you all so here goes.

B17 European has Gone Gold.

The Master was accepted on Saturday 11th November, Remembrance Day.

It should be in the shops in Europe on the 24th November

The American version launch date has been brought forward to pre Christmas. I will let you know the actual date as soon as I find out.

Thanks very much to all of you for your support over the years. We hope you enjoy our game.

Best regards

Graham & Everyone at Wayward

P.S. The Winner of the Gone Gold Competition will get a free signed copy of the game sent to them directly, as soon as I get my hands on one. Who is it then Darren?

------------------

What do you know about surfing, your're from New Jersey !

Oh yes, time to dust off my good ol' bird, Kim Marie IV, for another 30! I loved the original to death...... This ought to be good!

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

I've been watching this game closely the last few months and was disappointed with the multiplayer drop (Signals not complete devotion to satisfying customers in my view-thanks BTS smile.gif). However, I have been without a gunner's position in a bomber since Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe-anyone remember that? Would like to hear feedback from buyers to make my decision to buy or not.

Start 'em up! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Your loss Banshee.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After many years of gaming I can smell a POS from a mile away. If a game WONT give you a demo (B17 has no demo to try) AND goes back on its word about a major feature (multiplay) there is no way im risking any money on it.

No demo is actually more of a killer than no multiplay, No demo is a sure sign of a lemon.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Please read the above thread that I posted. If any of you guys even think about buying B-17II from Hasblow, you ought to shoot yourselves. After what we all know can be a good software development company, known as BTS, and then go to buy a piece of **** from Hasblow, you are destroying everything you believe in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen. Sosaboski:

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe-anyone remember that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S.W.O.T.L was one of my all time favourite games.

hehe, switch to 'unlimited ammo' and take out a whole flight of B-17's in the trusty old Me262 with a massive rocket salvo.....ahh, memories. smile.gif

This is like a test or something. "Please complete the following sequence of ruined or canceled games from a once-great company:

A) Gunship!

B) Tank Platoon!

C) Squad Leader

D) ..."

I still have my unopened copy of Gun****e!, which I purchased in anticipation of M1TP3, err, I mean Tank Platoon! Now we have B-17II coming, without a demo and its most desireable feature torn from it (as noted above) like the Virtual Battlefield promised for Gun****e!/Tank Platoon! Hell, Hasborg should just call their next wargame or sim attempt "Sucks!"

I shouldn't completely rag on Hasborg. Rollercoaster Tycoon and Majesty are good games, but they sure aren't what I expect from the Microprose label.

------------------

We eat like kings, drink like czars, and game like fat drunken king-czars. - CaSCa

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Please read the above thread that I posted. If any of you guys even think about buying B-17II from Hasblow, you ought to shoot yourselves. After what we all know can be a good software development company, known as BTS, and then go to buy a piece of **** from Hasblow, you are destroying everything you believe in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Maximus,

It wasn't developed my Hasblow or MPS so I'll make my own decision about whether its a Piece of **** *after* I play it. FWIW every demo for every flight sim ever made sucked ass so I never even bother.

And yes, I despise what Hasborg has done to the MPS name, and to the hobby but I'll be damned if I don't at least try what could be the definative heavy bomber sim.

Just my opinion of course, which I am entitled to just as much as you are to yours.

------------------

-Rookie

Cactus Air Force Homepage

Well, the original B17 was pretty buggy but it engrossed (and terrified) me like no other game except maybe X-Com. I think that I'll like B17II even if they screw some of it up. Luckily, my computer will need a major overhaul to even play it, so by the time I get to play it I'll already have heard responses to it.

GAFF

Sheesh guys, get a grip eh.

I saw b17II at ECTS in London and it looks bloody fantastic. I'm not a huge Sim'er (I really liked Warbirds, however), but this is an engrossing, intriguing and challenging game.

I think they made the right decision in dropping multiplay. When I was talking to the developers they were asked this question about 3 times in the 15 minutes I chatted to them and each time they seemed to just about sigh and shake their heads.

They bassically said they ran out of time and needed to release it. Sometimes a game has to show it can sell! This is a corporate world. Even BTS released without TCP/IP (although we asked for it that way), but they accepted that it was going to take a lot of work.

I think the multiplay for B17 2 was going to be so much work and take so long it would push the development schedule out beyond christmas into the netherworld of jan/feb release.

As for a demo, dunno why not, probably simply time pressures. I'd suggest you take a fresh look, check out the reviews when they come and then decide.

I loved the scope of it, from taking off in England to flying all over Europe, watching fighers come in and fighting them off. You can hop into any flying thing around and it's fun to see! Watch the 109's scramble at takeoff, follow the course of a p51 covering you and even take control of them and fight off the incoming enemy, then hop back into the bombers.. etc etc.. bla.

Well I thought it was bloody good!

so check it out ok, then decide. Find a good shop where they can show it to you

PeterNZ

------------------

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." George W Bush -Saginaw, Mich.,

Sept. 29, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

no demo?

NO THANKS!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever played a Flight Sim Demo that was good? Mig Alley Demo=Major Suckage. The game was great. EAW Demo=Buggy , Full Game, Fantastic. EECH Demo=Boring Full game, Flight Sim of the year candidate.

Just to keep things in perspective.

Companies other than BTS make quality products and run different business models. So don't knock it till you try it. If it ^&%$ing Sucks balls I will be the first one crying foul, but since I have not played it yet I can't knock it yet.

This board is filled with elitests and snobs.

------------------

-Rookie

Cactus Air Force Homepage

Gen. Sosaboski wrote:

However, I have been without a gunner's position in a bomber since Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe-anyone remember that?

Hey, the manual is still on my bookshelf.

I think my record was downing 12 B-17s and 6 Mustangs in a single battle flying a Gotha. (With limited ammo).

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rookie:

This board is filled with elitests and snobs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you were making good sense and points till you ended with that

smile.gif

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

B-17II's saving grace may be its status as an outside project and not a Hasborg/Microprose project. Have a look at www.fatbabies.com for the latest gossip about Hasborg/Microprose tanking. Particularly, see the 11/10 Story and the 11/7 Rumor. They've had a lot of other stories recently, too.

------------------

We eat like kings, drink like czars, and game like fat drunken king-czars. - CaSCa

Guest MantaRay

Seems silly that you are all knocking the game before it is even released. Sad that you would rather form an opinion based on nothing than hope this game kicks ass and does well. How many companies are doing bomber sims again?

Not every company is BTS, and snobs is what some of you are starting to be. Just because a company "PUBLISHES" a game doesnt mean they made it.

Ray

I think saying some people are snobs and/or elitists it a tad bit harsh. More accurate to say a lot of people here jaded when it comes to mainstream releases. A large percentage of stuff comes down the pike full of potential, but ends up being a load of crap. And considering the recent reputation that Hasbro/MPS has created for itself, I'm going to be very cautious myself about B17 II. I do agree that since very few people here have seen the game, we should either (1) by the game at a store with a good return policy, or (2) wait it out a bit to let the reviews start coming to the newsgroups and review sites before making the plunge.

[This message has been edited by Mikeydz (edited 11-15-2000).]