Pristine Battle Fields

I would like to design a scenario, (I'm working on it now) that is a counter attack, over a previously fought over battle field. Now, other than a burning building or a tile with rubble on it, what else can I put on the map to indicate a battle took place here the day before?

The maps now tend to show mostly pristine country side waiting to be messed up and littered with the dead and KO'd vehicles.

Are there any other tiles that simulate previous battle scars?

I would like to see burned out vehicle tiles and other tile sets of all the different terrain types with arty craters some heavier than others, to indicate that this place was a war zone just the day before.

Any thouhgts?

-tom w

Thats one of the things I've wanted most. I almost always create scenarios fighting over previously fought over terrain and having the ability to add craters and destroyed tanks would be a big help. Not to mention that infantry could use them for cover

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

mgwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 08-14-2000).]

i'd like to see this aswell, i've tried putting vehicles on the map then making the area a burning tile so as soon as the battle started the vehicle would be abandoned on the map, but even jeeps reverse out and leg it

BM

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944

Don't know about previous battlefields, maybe in CM 2 they can have another option when the map is made to place randomly charred and destroyed vehicles about the field, and perhaps a density option (none, few, many. This would require models of destroyed vehicles to be built to do it right; not just a gun hanging limp.

Personally, I modified a few of the grass tiles to be muddy-brown to get rid of all the green on the field.

autumn-mudtiles.jpg

This works pretty good and now the battlefield doesn't look like a scene from "The Sound of Music" wink.gif

-johnS

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 08-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

This works pretty good and now the battlefield doesn't look like a scene from "The Sound of Music" wink.gif

-johnS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm....The Sound of Music....does that mean we get a new unit added to the CM force mix: "The Von Trapp family"?

Mace

That looks like my neighborhood; some people have a gardener, some don't.

I would really like to be able to place shell craters on the map. I wanted some while working on an Omaha Beach map. Those GIs could really use a bit of cover.

------------------

Ow, my leg!

Or how about a mirror/counterpart for every tile that is scarred or battle damaged? Like streets with craters and cracks, blown out walls and houses and leveled bridges. Maybe even burnt out forests or fields.

The destroyed tank idea is great, but how would it work? There'd hafta be some way to make sure the terrain square under the vehicle matched the surrounding terrain. I guess one way to do this would would to have a special menue to select (mix and match) vehicle type and terrain. On the other hand, I doubt you'd be able to "paint" the vehicle over the terrain. You also hafta consider that there may be a uniform look to the same kinda tanks, like if you put down 8 KOd Shermans, they may all have the same type of damage and be pointing the same angles (it'd look very stupid if you can't picture it for yourself).

Also (if it worked anyway), why stop at tanks and craters? how about KIA troops (lot of 'em)and downed planes (including gliders).

Whew! lots'o frickin parenthases

------------------

Ah scheist.

Guys,

I've been pushing for this and much more in terms of tiles and models. If you search under my name you should find a thread roughly titled "New Tiles I'd Love to See." If you post your want list there, maybe BTS will see it and respond, especially since posting there will kick the thread to the top where it's got a better chance to be seen and read.

I like the grass tonedown, and I,too, really want craters in a range of sizes.

Regards,

John Kettler