CM Fortress Italy v2.11 patch has been released

On 7/17/2020 at 10:08 PM, BFCElvis said:

I worked on double checking the indirect fire voices and they were good the other day..so, yes....they better be.

There are no South African voices. I start the first scenario of the campaign "First Blood at Celleno" and the troops remain silent. I tested voices in the scenario editor with the artillery observer (off map, and on map), only South Africans don't speak. There is no returning voice from the South African artillery. On the other hand when the South African observer calls the british artillery (off map), or other nation, there is a return of voice from the battery.

Edited by laurent 22

@laurent 22

I discovered a while ago that the filenames were spelled as afrcican with an extra c. Not all but most. So I corrected the incorrect filename spellings. Get it here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok27o6do3rwhzkd/AABYoaMiHfHBXlgCEfOgzTNDa?dl=0

Please tell me if it now is alright. Merci

Edited by kohlenklau

Merci for your reply cher ami.

The files didn't work. The problem comes indeed from the file names, and probably also from the internal file tags. Finally with the files (artillery call) that you linked I managed to get their sound in the game by removing the nominal number 0, for example: "south african adjust fire over 00" becomes "south african adjust fire over 0" (the files recording the sounds of the South African artillery dialogues with the calling officer doesn't exist, so I renamed the corresponding UK files _ the name of the calling officer wav file ends with 0, and the one with the same name, battery response, ends with the number 1, it works). Other nations wav. filenames do not have "0" for digits 0-9. I did the same for all the South African wav files  found in the latest patch 2.11, but it doesn't work : the troops remain silent in all circumstances, except the sounds of shouting/screams because they are common to all the nations of the game (I checked the spelling: there is no mistake). Tags are another difference between wav files of S. Africans and those of other nations. Most S. African files have a number indicated in the title tab which seems to correspond to a classification, for example:

- "south african heavy target tank 2" title: "11"

- "south african heavy target tank 3" title: "12"

- "south african heavy target tank 4" title: "13" etc...

For the other nations, the British for example, the titles are empty.

Your files modified by removing a "0" have a title resuming the initial name of the file, for example:

- "south african adjust fire over 0" title: "south african adjust fire over 00". But it works.

So, to check if it's a tag problem, I would have to delete the titles in their properties tab, or at least put the same name there, but I don't know how to do it for now. The simplest but tedious solution is to rename all British files. I'm not an English speaker, I couldn't tell the difference between the accent of the South African voices (I only hear English and not Afrikaans, but I haven't listened to them all) and British. It would be a shame to be deprived of real S.African voice.

1h later:

I remove the tags, that sounds still doesn't work :(

I will rename the UK sound files ...

Edited by laurent 22

2 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

I remove the tags, that sounds still doesn't work

give it a new try, I fixed a few more things.

I changed south african to southafrican like modtags for uniforms

Also a filename was supposed to be check fire check fire check fire 3 times but in brz was only check fire check fire (twice)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok27o6do3rwhzkd/AABYoaMiHfHBXlgCEfOgzTNDa?dl=0

Thank you for this second solution, unfortunately it doesn't work. No sound, no call or return. Some of the sounds from the first file you linked work with the new numbering without the "0". Not all of them, for example: when the officer cancels the artillery mission there is no dialogue. Files imported from the UK folder and renamed work, so the UK and South African voices are the same now in my game. I reused the folder created by Frenchy56 here:

One of the 2 files linked by Frenchy contains the original fixed sounds of patch 2.11  without the "0". The sounds mostly work but are very quiet, almost inaudible (unlike the S.African artillery chat sound that comes from patch 210, they were never in the same folder as the other S. African sounds). So I kept the sounds imported from the British.

In fine, the last patch supposed to fix the S.African voices doesn't fix them. The ones I heard are less interesting: the voices are bare while the English voices of the artillery are recorded with a telephone special effect .

3 minutes ago, laurent 22 said:

Thank you for this second solution, unfortunately it doesn't work.

Dang. Bummer!

ok, well, I will try to figure it out. I guess BFC tried to fix it after R2V main release but somehow it just did not work even with a patch.  

If at last resort we can maybe have a CMFI South Africa Mod where we modtag the British voice files to be South Africans using modtag [southafrican].

yes, sorry if I expressed myself badly (lost in translation): the second file linked by Frenchy is the British voice file taged with the name "South Africans". He didn't do it your way but it's the same and it works.

Elvis says however that the S. African sounds work on his PC (the linked post) since 2.11 patch, so is it from my PC or from my windows configuration?  I bought the game in its latest version 2.11 so I don't think it could be an installation problem. I use sound mods for vocals (HQS v4) but even when I remove them it doesn't work.

I give up and content myself with hearing my South African soldiers speak like English people from London without an accent.

No sorry is needed. You probably explained very well. My brain is old and it takes me a while to understand.

I did just do a small scenario where I DID hear the south african voice wav files IF IF IF if I modtagged the scenario and purchased British artillery and British forward observer team using the british artilley set of voice files with modtag [southafricans]

@BFCElvis I don't know. Elvis is a great guy. If he says he hears the intended South African voices then I trust him and am baffled. He has a ton of issues to deal with. I salute him as a hard working guy of BFC.

I will now have a sip of Calvados

yes, that's what I said in my 1st post: when the South African officer calls the British, French or American artillery (modtaged or not), you can hear the British answer him (all the files of the other nations work with S.African officer, even those of the Indians who are among the sounds corrected in patch 211). But you don't hear the officer calling for the shot. The South Africans also have their own off-map artillery, and when the South African officer calls this artillery, you get no sound.

Everything works a bit with Frenchy's file, but the sounds are very very weak (apart from those of the artillery which may not have originally been recorded at the same time as the others, because they are additional files as indicated by their folder name).

15 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

I bought the game in its latest version 2.11 so I don't think it could be an installation problem.

Did we ever check that your installation was correct? Sometimes firewall and/or anti-virus software can block portions of an installation. Here are the files that should be in your Data folder. Another thing that I have seen is that even if someone has everything correctly in the folder, if they also have mods they can sometimes override/eliminate the stock files :

CMFI 211.png

Nine installed Combat Mission games.

1. Combat Mission Battle for Normandy
  2. Combat Mission Black Sea
  3. Combat Mission Cold War
  4. Combat Mission Fortress Italy
  5. Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg
  6. Combat Mission Red Thunder
  7. Combat Mission Shock Force 2
  8. ?? Combat Mission PRO
  9. ?? CMx3 or CMSF1 or ... CMA

:D

Edited by ratdeath

IBM PC...

I am now hearing SOME SA voices but I have a folder in CMFI Z with Frenchy's fixes and my freshly corrected filenames AND NUMBERS for the 9 artillery voice slots.

So, it seems NOT a game engine or some code bug. Das ist gut.

Some voices are totally muffled out during the game. I hear them activate but it is just a several seconds burst of noise.

The 2 voice actors that did this. One guy who does the English with an SA accent, apparently he recorded it in a soft whisper perhaps while his baby daughter and wife were sleeping in the next room. The other guy sounds right out of a Johannesburg pub, a little bit more oomph and all in Afrikaans. But you hardly hear his files used. 0 to 6 seem to be whisper-man and 7 and up are wild-man. Or basically 50-50 for file quantity in a category.

I see something odd with the file details of quite a few wav files. A title number that normally I do not see. I can try and resave a few and drop that title number. See if it makes it work better. Wild-man seemed to have more of these type oddities.

Also, there are sound file types I have NEVER FREAKING SEEN before.

For example

south african casualty 0.wav

yep that seems normal, seen that lots of times

but

south african casualty from flame 0.wav

and

south african hand to hand

@BFCElvis thank you for your attention,

my files are the same with exactly the same number for their size (especially for the brz v210e, v210c, and v211, where are the S.African voices). View:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/zrcbfn8cj58jdmk/FI_data_elvis_vs_lo.jpg/file

I only use Windows 11's built-in security tools, and I've had no conflicts with them for installation (I have all the CM).

If you can hear the voices, and especially artillery dailogue for example in the 1st scenario of the Cellano campaign, then it is indeed that my own files are corrupted, or my family version of Windows is incompatible. But the other voices of the other nations contained in the same brz file work perfectly. If files were missing because overwritten by my mods, the size of the brz v210e, or v210c, or v211 files shouldn't be exactly the same. 

If you have time, check that you can hear the artillery dialogue voices without any S.African wav mods. To be sure of the test, create a quick scenario with only one or two S.A forward artillery observers, buy SA artillery, off-map or on-map and British artillery (tip: if off-map, to identify the british artillery, buy British Navy cruisers). You will not hear the officer calling the artillery or the SA gunner's response, but you will hear the british gunner's response: because the voices for the South African artillery (9 wav files) are in v210e, and they are misspelled (wrong letter 'c'). They are not fixed in v211 where are the 448 other fixed SA voices: they have been forgotten (because they were in a different folder: 9 in 210e and 448 in 210c) . Kohlenkalau has therefore posted the 9 fixed files, and to hear them you have to renumber them, so you need a mod (or to repack the original v211)...

Kolhenklau and others describe the same problem.

The solution, renaming the British wav files with South African tag (2nd version of the Frenchie's mod), is not ok because Kolenklau has just listed some original South African wav totally new.

Anyway, this sound problem is neither serious nor urgent, but I understood from reading you that it was a closed matter. So in anticipation of the future battlepack and a patch, it seemed necessary to point out that it was still a cold case. But I understand that is not a priority. The fitment of the English/S.African helmet on the head was a bigger problem for me, and luckily Kolenklau solved that🙏

Edited by laurent 22