Killing Abrams

Trica

I'm playing the 5th mission in the Russian campaign now as well. I seem to have gotten an absurdly lucky hit just now by destroying an Abrams with a single volley of 203mm shells. I wasn't even aiming at the tank either; I was aiming at the building in front of it. I was trying to destroy the buildings around the tank to open up more sight lines to it. The second shell in the very first volley of the fire mission just happened to overshoot the building and land directly on top of the rear deck of the tank. I couldn't see the tank at the time but I could hear that penetration sound effect. Once the dust cleared a few minutes later I saw it:

FHl8Nso.png

So they can certainly be killed I guess. :D There are more tanks though and I'm sure that they will not go down nearly as easily as this one did.

There's a CMSF2 night scenario that pits Marine M1A1HC Abrams against T90SA. If the T90s have enough sense to sit and wait to acquire targets they can reliably hole the Abrams from the front across half the length of the huge map. Rework the game with the beefier Army M1A2 and the results are very different.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, MikeyD said:

There's a CMSF2 night scenario that pits Marine M1A1HC Abrams against T90SA. If the T90s have enough sense to sit and wait to acquire targets they can reliably hole the Abrams from the front across half the length of the huge map. Rework the game with the beefier Army M1A2 and the results are very different.

Is there a reference as to which gun and ammo combinations the T-90's and M1's use in both BS and SF2?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, exsonic01 said:

I'm not sure how ATGM missed. If APS defended ATGM from airstrike or gunship, that should be a bug. As far as I remember, CMBS APS has a range of angle and projectile speed to engage against projectile, shouldn't react against ATGM from air.

My experience from US side in scenario "Rolling Thunder" shows, Trophy APS will intercept the AT-6 from Mi-24

On the other hand, I don't think AT-6 will be able to achieve a high angle dive. I could be wrong, so please feel free to correct me.  This is because of both the reason on the platform and missile itself.  It is hard to dive a Mi-24? Also 9K114 AT-6 is radio guided, it is preferred to be working on a steep angle, the ground will reflected the high angle radio signal causing an incorrect instruction.

• 1 month later...

I guess I’m going to have to be “that guy.” I am playing the first mission of the US campaign and I have lost several Bradley’s to enemy tank fire. Due to the laser warning (which apparently freaks the Abrams out beyond belief) the Abrams are getting kills but they are not as dominant in my game as it appears to be in everyone else’s. 

By the way I am using sound tactics and not rushing my forces around  willy-nilly. So to summarize it seems to me the Russian forces are better than I thought they’d be due to my reading on these forums.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, Chibot Mk IX said:

It is hard to dive a Mi-24?

What a helo dive has to do with the missile trajectory?

On 7/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, Chibot Mk IX said:

the ground will reflected the high angle radio signal causing an incorrect instruction.

Is "the ground" in your scenario is covered in retroreflectors and/or signal boosters? :)

11 hours ago, zmoney said:

So to summarize it seems to me the Russian forces are better than I thought they’d be due to my reading on these forums

That's a good summary. It's a good reminder not to confuse people complaining that thier favourite tank or other vehicle is not uber powerful with a reflection of reality.

I played this mission again and I managed to destroy Abrams tanks by using at least two heavy artillery pieces at the same time. That is 6 x 155mm guns with heavy fire mission on medium duration. Precision strikes couldn't destroy tanks, they only damaged external systems and eventually immobilized tanks (main guns still worked). My gunships had no effect against APS. Every ATGM was intercepted. Also, I managed to flank one damaged and immobilized abrams with one of my T-90s and it took three shots to destroy it.