Steppenwulf's Modded Flavour Objects for SF2

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:44 PM, Sequoia said:

A dock loading crane?

TBH I'm not completely clear on what type of crane it was.....As I recall, the US basically tried to wall off Sadr City, to which the locals did not take well!  The construction crane was apparently the focus of many scuffles.

@sburke  would know more.

Little more detailed,  they were actually building a wall for a couple objectives. Force the Sadr movement out of mortar range of the green zone as well as shutting off access to the Jamilla market which was a major source of income with protection and black market rackets.  Most photos show typical construction cranes 

https://mwi.usma.edu/stealing-enemys-urban-advantage-battle-sadr-city/

Yep that is pretty much what every photo I have seen shows. Same as in the article I linked to.  I think I have seen those details of the sniper in one of the Sadr city books I have. 

One of the interesting ing aspects of the fighting that that article describes but is in more detail in what I read was the whole fight for the market. The insurgents in Sadr were a mix of Sadr loyalists, non Sadr Shia militia and criminal organizations. Moqtada’s authority was far from absolute. As the wall went up the criminal element in particular saw their protection racket threatened and threw themselves at the wall in an uncoordinated frenzy.  Each block area in Sadr was nominally independent so the attacks were uncoordinated. The insurgents suffered heavily in the walls construction. 

Edited by sburke

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 12:53 AM, sburke said:

Little more detailed,  they were actually building a wall for a couple objectives. Force the Sadr movement out of mortar range of the green zone as well as shutting off access to the Jamilla market which was a major source of income with protection and black market rackets.  Most photos show typical construction cranes 

https://mwi.usma.edu/stealing-enemys-urban-advantage-battle-sadr-city/

@sburke interesting article, thank you

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, The Steppenwulf said:

So.... with Hesco Barriers it occurred to me that they are not likely to be ever used in ones or twos but only as part of a larger fortification. So I dumped the idea of just having individual barriers as flavour objects and instead created full bastion walls as single objects.

Below are screenshots of what we have. 

hesco-bastion-sand.png

Not sure what looks best though the temperate or desert look?!  

hesco-bastion.png

I must add a big caveat about these particular models; as I discovered some time ago, large objects come with issues that I believe are so bad that they aren't perhaps a good idea to actually use them (Aquilia has noted the same in his recent posts but with some neat innovative workarounds). That said the meta data values that sbobovyc script is now able to identify, offers a way forward to resolve these issues. I plan to apply some time to this and we shall see what can be discovered.

I´ve just discovered this, looks really good.

For Hescos its mandatory to replace tall/narrow objects like streetlamps or telephone poles in order to allow the Hescos to be stacked closely together. Replacing bigger objects like shelters or crates with the Hescos will lead to "collision" and cause the hescos to get displaced. This Combined with a concrete wall with (modtagged) invisible concrete wall textures would provide the scenario maker with a decent and functional fortification.

It is not "fool/cheat proof" however. A player could decide to destroy the invisible concrete wall and walk/drive/shoot trough the Hesco model. However I personally believe this limitation and asking the player from refraining to exploit it can be noted in the briefing and most mature players would show little interest in going for this exploit as in the end they would harm their very own experience the most. Its more likely to happen by accident. For this reason artillery missions that may be used against this fort by AI or player should be considered when going for this as they have a chance to blow the invisible walls up. Same applies to some extend to vehicles with bigger calibre weapons if they engage enemies near the hescos or the entrance.

I don´t know much about terrain tiles and wether placing an impassable terrain tile beneath the hesco is possible but if so this could be an option too if one wants to absolutely take all measures to prevent players from exploiting. However LOS could be still established by destroying the wall and would require to explore more (overly) complex techniques like applying invisible trees, bushes or other less/indestructible LOS blocking objects. But again I think all of this tinkering is not required as mature players if instructed should show less interest in a "haha look I exploited your little custom fortification here!". 

Combining Hescos with indestructible wrecks of tall/broad vehicles (f.ex. Marines AAV7) with modtagged invisible textures in combination with impassable terrain (beneath/in front, if possible) could perhaps provide an even more ultimate and fool-proof solution but I never tested this.

There are alot of possible solutions for this, However from what we currently know it requires some combination effort, out-of-the-box thinking, and was not tested alot before either, so it is quiet understandable that all of this is not for everyone.

Edited by Aquila-CM