Anyone working on an ANA mod and what would make the most sense?

I am tempted to work on a Afghan National Army mod to finish my Afghanistan pet project, but really if someone is already busy working on one, I'd rather spend less time in the editor and in photoshop and just play instead. That's why I am asking the community.

Now I am not even sure if I am going to take on this project or even if I can pull it off, it is just something I am pondering. But let's say someone was to do it, what would make the most sense to use for the conversion?

My first idea was to use Syrians for the job.

But then I remembered that Blimey made an ANA mod for SF1 using Dutch infantry and I can see why. The Dutch use the C7 which is similar to the M16A2 that the Afghan Army transitioned to around the year 2009. The biggest difference being that the C7 has a full automatic fire mode and also optics.

On the other hand, Syrians field rpg-7's (it feels weird to have ANA soldiers with a panzerfaust), rpk's, have worse optics (I haven't seen too many pictures of ANA soldiers with an M-16 equipped with a scope), worse C2 gear etc.

What do you guys think?

And if you go with Syrians, what's better? Reserve infantry? Regular mechanized?

Hey Z, you’re on a roll, so I say go for it. Pretty sure you can swap an M16/C7 for an AK, or an rpg7 for a faust, etc., etc.  I swapped in a FN-FAL from CMBS, but haven’t had time to check out swapping around weapons within CMSF2 yet. Don’t see why not; shouldn’t be anything more than a model swap via renaming. But,  someone will come along soon and straighten my thinking out if I’m full of it!

28 minutes ago, Zveroboy1 said:

I am not sure how weapon swapping works. If you swap the AK's the Syrian use for M16's, won't the Taliban also get M16's?

Yep... although I'm not sure if "Taliban" (combatants/fighters) use AK-74's (which would be the nearest thing to an M16 in the Red arsenal) in CMSF.

These look good Boche. Nice mix of equipment, especially the helmets. These are from Mjkerners? And the two with the rpg and the Ak's are special forces helmets?

How do you get both AK's and M4's in the same squad like this?

This is what I got so far. I think I got the new spec4ce forest camo more or less okay for a first draft, but the woodland I have is not right.

ulXCkv0.png

At first I was thinking reserves with their plain khaki uniform could eventually be modded to look like ANP. If I could find a cap for them that I could swap. But really ANP is not a huge priority.

edit :

I just checked Syrian fighters and combatants use AKM's. Oh you mean in real life?

Edited by Zveroboy1
because

13 minutes ago, Zveroboy1 said:

I just checked Syrian fighters and combatants use AKM's. Oh you mean in real life?

No... in game.

I'll rustle you up a quick model swap.

Do you want optics on the M16... if not, I'll see if they can be alpha'ed out.

Oh I just remembered... I might be able to use the M16A1 from CMA if you prefer?

54 minutes ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Thanks! Hmm no, no optics I'd say.

Hmm it's a bit trickier than I realized it'd be because there are so many AK-74's in the files (standard, black, modern & multiple versions with Grenade launchers).

I've swapped the models & icons & got rid of the optics... but I'm struggling with a few textures.

I'll have another go at finishing the swap later.

7 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Yeah no rush. I appreciate the help. This is the early stages of the mod. It is nowhere near finished so take your time.

It's no problem, I plan to create a major project sometime (which will require a lot of model swaps) so I wanted the practice.

Here's the link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2kghuf4lc122e5/ak74m to M16.7z?dl=0

This only changes the AK-74M, the modern version of the ak-74, used by the Special Forces.

All other ak-74's are untouched.

The normal rifle is an m16a1, the grenade launcher version is an m16a4 (I had to keep the optics, I'm afraid).

I changed the icons, the script & the default shot sound (that will affect all other ak-74's).

Obviously I can't really do much about individual sound mods people might be using.

I've had a quick play around &, combined with Sir Lancelots excellent mod, they do look pretty cool.

NOTE

The squad leader still has the AKS-74U... I'm not sure if I should keep that, change it to an M16 or, perhaps, an m4 carbine?

1 hour ago, 37mm said:

It's no problem, I plan to create a major project sometime (which will require a lot of model swaps) so I wanted the practice.

Here's the link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2kghuf4lc122e5/ak74m to M16.7z?dl=0

This only changes the AK-74M, the modern version of the ak-74, used by the Special Forces.

All other ak-74's are untouched.

The normal rifle is an m16a1, the grenade launcher version is an m16a4 (I had to keep the optics, I'm afraid).

I changed the icons, the script & the default shot sound (that will affect all other ak-74's).

Obviously I can't really do much about individual sound mods people might be using.

I've had a quick play around &, combined with Sir Lancelots excellent mod, they do look pretty cool.

NOTE

The squad leader still has the AKS-74U... I'm not sure if I should keep that, change it to an M16 or, perhaps, an m4 carbine?

A screenshot, the m16s look great!

9519201a72d4f0c9d72a3514a16ad38b.jpg

Yes good job 37mm. Don't worry about the leader and the AKS-74U for now. But I think the mod as it is now affects AKM's too. I just had a quick look, maybe I am mistaken.

I need to think a bit more about it, because I don't really understand all the intricacies of the Syrian TO&E but I tend to think we should perhaps use airborne for the mod. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Normal Infantry uses AKM's which is the same weapon that Taliban use. So we can't swap it for a M16.

Mech infantry and Republican guard could work but they use AKMS's and maybe they share some of the textures with AKM's ?

So that leaves us with Airborne which use AK-74's ?

Special forces also use AK-74's but they have vampires which is clearly not good even if we swap it for a rpg-7 model. It is just too powerful compared to a rpg-7.

An important factor is also that rounds match. So that also points toward Airborne perhaps.

At first I wanted to use mech infantry because this way the mod could be compatible with some of the old SF1 Afghanistan scenarios. I think Combatintman  who designed a couple of them used mech recon to represent ANA, if I am not mistaken. But if we can't use these, that's not the end of the world.

Feedback welcome here, because I am really not sure what to pick.

Edited by Zveroboy1
asdf

Okay, I think I figured why it was changing AKM's. You need to delete ak-74.bmp. This is actually the texture for the AKM....

The only issue left now is that the M16 swap messes up the tubular stock of the other AK's but that's a minor issue, barely noticeable.

There are perhaps other small fixes needed but this is going to help a lot. I wasn't even going to do any weapon swapping if I had to do this alone. But this looks much better.

Maybe I'll do an early and a late ANA version. The early one with only woodland camo and AK's. And the late version with M16's and a mix of woodland and spec4ce forest.

t28TJUh.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, Zveroboy1 said:

At first I wanted to use mech infantry because this way the mod could be compatible with some of the old SF1 Afghanistan scenarios. I think Combatintman  who designed a couple of them used mech recon to represent ANA, if I am not mistaken. But if we can't use these, that's not the end of the world.

Feedback welcome here, because I am really not sure what to pick.

I think you're right in the case of the Green 9 scenario. The rationale for using them was more about the small squad size than anything else. I think I added the ANA to give Blue enough tools to do the job, without overdoing it, by adding some plausibly realistic combat power to the British Rifle Platoon that in reality got itself into serious trouble that day. Otherwise my ANA picks were solely uniform based - if they had woodland camouflage then they were eligible to be picked because that was what the ANA were wearing then.

Okay interesting to see what rationale you used.

After pondering over the different options, I think I found a solution so the mod can work for both early and late ANA and be backward compatible with old SF1 battles. It is going to be a single mod instead of two versions like I first thought so this will be simpler too.

I am going to give airborne units a mix of spec4ce and woodland camo and regular Syrians just woodland. Airborne units will also get a M16 instead of their AK-74 with the weapon swap made by 37mm. This way if the scenario designer wants to represent ANA post 2008-2009, he can use airborne troops. And if you want to have early ANA, you can just pick any unit using the regular camo : mech, republican guards etc and these, since they use AKMS, won't be affected by the weapon swap.

• 1 month later...