Panzer commanders head gear

One of the minor (or not so minor?) annoyances  I have in the game is the German tank commanders only seem to wear a "peaked cap" or "barracks cover". I would

like to ask the forum, are there any mods where the panzer commanders wear a beret or garrison cover? Most photos or film clips I see of these men

they usually wore something other than a peaked cap. This is probably a question that has been discussed but i couldnt find anything in my search.

Wait. We're talking about the WW2 games, right?

The padded berets were not in use anymore after the Battle of France, which no games cover as of now. German tank commanders did wear side caps and field caps, with white piping for officers.

I think it helps distinguish between the rest of the crew (which we don't see much of anyway) and the commander, and because it's just plain classy and correct anyway.

Edited by Frenchy56

Here's the field cap for officers (the insignia aren't present):

s-l640.jpg

The one for enlisted and NCO's:

i1550014-WW2-GERMAN-M1943-PANZER-FIELD-C

The side cap for officers (Panzer arm):

IMG_6243small.JPG

The one for enlisted and NCO's (Artillery arm):

wsm-00012.jpg

The crusher cap could be worn with a white braid for officers, however it seems like it wasn't done often in the field, like the old Panzer Meyer shows us:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101III-Ludwig-006-19,_

Edited by Frenchy56

By the way, if you want side caps on your tank commanders, all you need to do is extract the base game files, rename some model and texture files and you're good to go. If you don't feel like you can do it, then I'll be happy to do it for you if you ask. Unfortunately, there aren't any field cap models in the games.

Edited by Frenchy56

• 1 month later...

Am surprised the Germans abandoned padded headgear for AFV crews. The Russians campaigned a helmet design which was pretty much the same from the 1930s through just a few years ago, if that. The new model looks like the old one to a large degree, but it uses high tech material to provide better impact resistance.After spending a bit of time in a T-55, a T-62 and a 76 mm Sherman, there is no way I'd care to be without good head protection, and the tanks I was in were all static!  As brother George pointed out yesterday, it doesn't matter how good your gun stabilization os if the gunner is being bounced about so much it's impossible to use the sights effectively.

Regards,

John Kettler

45 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Am surprised the Germans abandoned padded headgear for AFV crews. The Russians campaigned a helmet design which was pretty much the same from the 1930s through just a few years ago, if that. The new model looks like the old one to a large degree, but it uses high tech material to provide better impact resistance.After spending a bit of time in a T-55, a T-62 and a 76 mm Sherman, there is no way I'd care to be without good head protection, and the tanks I was in were all static!  As brother George pointed out yesterday, it doesn't matter how good your gun stabilization os if the gunner is being bounced about so much it's impossible to use the sights effectively.

Regards,

John Kettler

good question. I´d guess one reason for german tank crews beeing rather light at the head might be major importance for quick response and reliable inter crew communications. Maybe crew comfort (or lack of) and spaciousness in russian tanks made padded stuff more necessary.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:17 PM, Dan Dare said:

Frenchy, I will appreciatte your support in that matter and even a mood for it..(I'm not good at handling files)

will it be possible to have the officers with peaked caps and the NCO with side caps?

I'm sorry, but that's impossible. I can't make it so tank commanders wear different kinds of headgear at once because there's only one type of tank commander model in the game for each faction, and for the Germans that's a Leutnant. I can only make it so they all wear peaked caps or side caps.

Both NCO's and officers wore peaked caps without the braids on the front, so it's a good compromise.

Edited by Frenchy56

On 4/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, Frenchy56 said:

I'm sorry, but that's impossible. I can't make it so tank commanders wear different kinds of headgear at once because there's only one type of tank commander model in the game for each faction, and for the Germans that's a Leutnant. I can only make it so they all wear peaked caps or side caps.

Both NCO's and officers wore peaked caps without the braids on the front, so it's a good compromise.

pitty, anyhow it will do less visual damage if everybody wears the side cap...Thanks a lot!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...