Montelimar H2H Scenario

I'm wondering what the experience of other people have had playing Montelimar.  I am playing the Germans in a H2H against a friend of mine and can't believe the number of tanks the Americans have.  It must be somewhere between 25 and 30.  I've knocked out about a dozen mostly by infantry with panzerschreks and panzerfaust.  I just lost the last of my 3 assault guns and still waiting for the panzer reinforcements but only 38 minutes left in the scenario.  I hid my infantry behind buildings because the Yanks just advance in a line of tanks and keep blasting the buildings until they collapse at which point the infantry hiding behind them can't run fast enough.  I did get a convoy off the map but it certainly seems like a real tough one for the Germans.

Interesting. I looked it up and at theBlitz this has only been played twice - both a win for the Germans: http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/montelimar-operation-dragoon-h2h/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=3705

Clearly not a large enough sample size but could give you some hope :)

Victory conditions can be tied to a scenario in such a way that the forces don't need to be balanced in order for the overmatched side to achieve victory.  I am not familiar with the scenario in question, but if, for example, the German side achieved Total Victory through holding one building then if the Germans manage to have a single team left alive in the building and the Americans haven't gained entry then the Germans win regardless as to what type of punishment the German forces took through the course of the game.

Hi Guys!

I created this scenario a long time ago. All the research I did on the battles in the south of France talked about the Germans basically doing a series of fighting withdrawals. This was intended to simulate that. The Allies had a large advantage in numbers, especially armor. Most of the German armor had already been sent to battle the Allies breaking out from Normandy. I believe the entire German 11th Panzer was down to 2 or 3 tank battalions.  The main objective for the Germans is to get the convoys through. It is inevitable that the Allies will take the map, but how long it takes and how many convoys get through is the key. 

In play testing both sides have won.

Keep at it and let me know what happened when your done. If you and your opponent have any ideas on tweaking it, let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted a comment at the Scenario site but for some reason it did not get posted.  There is a major issue with this scenario.  My friend and I are currently in to our second playing with me as the Germans again.  In the first playing I surrendered before we got to the time of the scenario we are now at.  When there was 36 minutes left in the scenario, the tank platoon reinforcement consisting of a single Panther appeared.  I have now tried twice but no matter what movement plot I give to the Panther it moves to the green highlight exit hexes for the convoy and then disappears.  It totally ignored movement plots as if the movement to the exit hexes is programmed in to the scenario.    LiveNoMore, maybe you can let me know what is going on.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just surrendered in our second playing of this scenario as the Germans.  A second major victory for the Yanks.  The Yanks have 30 tanks while the Germans start with something like 4 AT guns and 3 STUG III.  They get one Panther and 2 more Stug III with about 1/4 of the scenario playing time left.  The Panther reinforcement is screwy in that if you give it any movement order it will ignore the movement plot and move directly to the convoy exit area and then disappear off the map.  If you don't give it any movement plot it will move on it's own away from the convoy exit area.  I continued playing as I thought the Panther could cause some damage but after taking out one Yank light tank, a Sherman took it out with one frontal shot.  I assume it was a lucky shot as you would think a Panther would be difficult for a Sherman to take out unless it hit it from the rear or side.  No it was not a firefly.  Regardless,  that added insult to injury after hanging on for about 40 minutes with the Germans,  so I surrendered. 

I don't mind playing scenarios that are not "balanced" as that can be subjective but this one is a tough one for the Germans.  Still it was action filled from start to finish as I knocked out 21 Yank tanks.  Unfortunately he had 10 left!

10 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

I assume it was a lucky shot as you would think a Panther would be difficult for a Sherman to take out unless it hit it from the rear or side.  No it was not a firefly.

Nope, the Panther turret can be shot straight through frontally by a Sherman at close range - about 300m if I remember correctly.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:23 AM, CanuckGamer said:

In the first playing I surrendered

10 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

Regardless,  that added insult to injury after hanging on for about 40 minutes with the Germans,  so I surrendered. 

You might have won if you had not surrendered. In the end, win or lose is decided by victory points, and if you got the convoys off the map, it could be all that's needed.

On 12/10/2018 at 4:00 PM, IanL said:

Interesting. I looked it up and at theBlitz this has only been played twice - both a win for the Germans: http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/montelimar-operation-dragoon-h2h/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=3705

Clearly not a large enough sample size but could give you some hope :)

Makes me feel better about my performance then. Way back when I was a greenhorn at the game I made an AAR of a H2H against it and got a sloppy, sloppy victory as the Americans.

The scenario was a bit janky but played out very well, I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U042G71tyEo