Canadian voices

I noticed that my Canadian troops often speak with a British accent...

This was quite possible, but I am hearing more British accents than I would have expected.

smile.gif

I am surprised too that the units never swear -- that was by design, I assume! biggrin.gif

Good point, more swearing

Were's the Mod Pack with the Profanity

I should figure out how to do it myself

as the voices and Swearing from South Park

might fit right in here? smile.gif

(ok, some of you might not find that funny

but there should be a version of the sound mods with real "manly" profanity and plenty of real swearing about everything)

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

I noticed that my Canadian troops often speak with a British accent..

This was quite possible, but I am hearing more British accents than I would have expected.

smile.gif

I am surprised too that the units never swear -- that was by design, I assume! biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

I noticed that my Canadian troops often speak with a British accent...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I always thought when I've played Canadians that they just recycled the American voices. Guess I need to listen closer. I think we need authentic Canadian voices. The Canadians here should band together and work with Madmatt to get a knew Canadian soundtrack!

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

You can make your own if you like (I am sure lots of folks would use them). Just find the wav files in the wav directory and make replacements.

I am British myself but I would like to hear NZ and Canadian accents when fighting with em.

Actually I am curious (and forgive my ignorance) but do the german voices in CM have an accent (a german region?).

cheers

_dumbo

Umm, in my version of CM I often hear US sarges screaming BASTARD at their men and otherwise cursing the living s**t out of them.

My version is the same as yours.. Maybe only the Canadians don't curse..> Could it be they're too polite? wink.gif

I thought the Canadians used the American voices too. I was rather disappointed - I gather Canadian accents are distinctive, but I haven't yet determined what they sound like.

I often hear, in films (particularly older ones), Americans speaking with accents which are almost verging on English. I wondered if that was Canadian. Where does Leslie Nielsen come from?

David

cackle cackle

Leslie Nielsen comes from Canada, but you can't judge an accent based on what HE does! eek.gif

Half the time he makes up accents as he goes along.

Other Canadian actors, although I'm sure they all strive to speak with an American accent: Cpt. Kirk; Scotty; Jim Carrey; one or two of the actors on friends; the "nerds" in the X-Files, esp. the slim guy with long blond hair; Colin Mackerie on Whose Line Is It Anyway (the US copycat version, not the UK show); Michael J. Fox on and on help me out guys there must be dozens more. Partly because education costs little here in Canada, and so if someone has talent for acting then they are not really hampered by having to pay for their own education -- the bigger the pond, the more likely you will end up with quality fish.

Bob and Doug MacKenzie were Canadian, although they exaggerated everything, eh?

biggrin.gif

Take off, you Hoser biggrin.gif Bob n' Doug ruled!! BTW, i think "Cpt. Kirk" (Shatner, yah?) was from Iowa... maybe he grew up in Canada.. i dunno.. As far as the accents are concerned.. i have zoomed in on british squads and have heard them yell "Bawstuds!!" when getting mauled... I couldnt believe it.. sounded just like a monty python clip! it was great.. I especially like the enthusiastic "JA!!!" when a german tanker scores a kill... nice little add ons like that prevent a game from getting stale.. beatuiful work...

Zaff'

like very canadian ey, I guess most have not heard us canadian realy speak..since were mostly drunk half the time. heh.

I posted before on this topic, the accents from Regina or Halifax have a very destinct twang.. smile.gif as for the german its pretty down pat... mostly a hoch deutsch, there is nothing that simulates on the game of Bayern accent or Eastern accent (Berlin) and forget Platdeutsch.. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zaffod:

BTW, i think "Cpt. Kirk" (Shatner, yah?) was from Iowa... maybe he grew up in Canada.. i dunno..

Zaff'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that he was from Montreal, but then again, maybe he just spent a few years there.

Oh I forgot others the SCTV crowd, who ended up in such five-star movies as Ghostbusters... The Pillsbury dough boy was American I think. biggrin.gif

And Blues Brothers, Groundhog Day, there must be others.

I heard one Canadian squad scream "Chicken!" after some Germans ran away, that made me laugh. It was in a British accent though.

• 5 months later...

Jimmy "Scotty" Doohan was also Canadian, you guys - he served in the Royal Canadian Artillery in WW II and flew light aircraft - some sources say he was RCAF. Either way he was an officer, and a WW II vet.

Tell me you knew his accent in Star Trek was fake!

Shatner was from Montreal. Donald Sutherland is also Canadian.

Want a good Canadian Accent? Listen to Mike Myers (he's Canadian too). Especially in Wayne's World.

Oh and by the way, I really like how BTS did the voices. For such an intense and realistic game, the voices can be very cliche, like out of a war movie.

Ever hear your US TC say "Right on target!" When the tank nails something? Tell me a real TC would say something like that in real life...LOL

Thank you BTS for remembering that little unrealisms peppered in realistic games add flavor and character!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

Ever hear your US TC say "Right on target!" When the tank nails something? Tell me a real TC would say something like that in real life...LOL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tonight, I heard an American TC say "Take that you mother---!" after nailing a panzer. The rest of the word was left hanging, but you get the meaning...

[This message has been edited by von Lucke (edited 01-16-2001).]

If your going to do Canadian accents you got to use Maritime ones. Aside for the french speaking population, the Maritimes accents seem to be the most distinct. Other than that, we Canadians generally sound like Americans, especially to the untrained ear. Or is it that Americans sound like Canadians. wink.gif

A question; if I replace my own sounds, do I have to make them a certain format (16bit, stereo, etc..)? Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Tom:

The actor who plays JFK in the new Cuban Crisis movie is Canadian.

There are many Canadians that infiltrated American movies and TV. Canadian content has extended down south, eh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're coming............... http://www.standonguard.com/

------------------

No bastard has ever won a war by dying for his country. They won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

[This message has been edited by Shadow 1st Hussars (edited 01-16-2001).]

Looked over http://www.standonguard.com/

Thats one of the most original websites I've ever seen. Funny too. Isn't It funny how Canada is like one of the few nations that you can actually joke about that with? Imagine if someone made a sight like that for the US, Germany, Russia, etc?

JEEZ!!!!! I'd say they'ed get a few complaints!

Everyone likes Canada!

As someone who speaks english as a second language I'd say that (most) of the american accents are quite distinguishable from the canadian ones IMO. It's harder to pick this up in movies though, I guess I just presume them all to be american (especially the bad ones biggrin.gif

------------------

Visit http://home.c2i.net/bebenum for som tips on(flight)sim immersion hardware :)