A cmbo Tournament

Since cmbo seems to be losing interest I have been pondering running a round-robin tourney

this Sept. and Oct. This would consist of each player having 3 PBEM matches going on in Sept as round One, and three matches in Oct as round two.

Each would be a different Scenario, turns per scenario will be 20 to 30 or so.

I have seen the scoring by other tournaments and have decided to try something new. The scoring in this tourney will be awarded by the completed outcome of each scenario. Example, if I was to have 20 participants, that is ten matches in each scenario. (Example of one) 7 players win playing the german side and 3 win playing the allies. Scoring awarded to the highest winner on the German side would be 5 points, next player 4, and so forth. After these 5 players are given points, then the Best allied player is given 5 points and 4 to the next and so on. So no matter the scenario balence the best 5 players for each side is awarded points.

There will also be bonus points awarded if you win and are playing the inferior side in the scenario, this bonus will be determined by the inbalence. Example, 9 win playing as allies, one

wins playing germans, this one winner of the German side will recieve 5 points for being the best player on the side but will receive a additional 2 points for winning with the weak force.

I am also pondering bonus points in round two for winning if a low rank player from round one wins someone with a higher ranking from the first round. This would be awarded if they win a better ranked player by a percentage above the average of all completed matches of that scenario.

Round two match ups will also be determined by completed scores of round one. Example

the top player from round one will have his 3 matches against, the number 2 player the # 4 player and the # 10 or something similar to that.

I know this does not explain the scoring completely but should be enough for understanding that I can complete a tournament in two months, it only requires a person to play 6 games, it addresses scoring that is somewhat fare no matter the balence of the scenario. And will provide even matched players a chance to compete against each other once.

The real question is, are there enough interested to make my efforts to host one worth it. It seams most CMBO players are playing against the AI.

So if you are reading this, willing to commit to finishing only 6 PBEM's and willing to see your name posted with a score behind it, let me know here and I will make the effort if there is enough interest.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we have the interest I would love new scenarios from people like you, I have played some of your work and know of its quility.

In this tourney I am wanting to provide well balenced ones but that does not mean all will be balenced. Also I might have a question or two for you as to how to send out the games and keep both players blind.

My understanding on this is that the CDs are cut to work on only one type of OS, and are not compatible for both.

That said, it may be worth your while to drop the guys at BFC a line and see what it would take to get a PC compatible CD. Who knows, Matt may be in a good mood.

To Zweihorn, the nice thing about a round robin format is everyone interested will play. I am also glad to see a newbie want in, I hope more new players will get into this, many of the old guard will not play CMBO, it is not grog enough for them. So for those that have been intimidated to play in something like this, this will be a good oppotunity to try it. The scenario's will be small and the amount of time to participate should not be overwhelming. The only thing I do

expect is that those that participate, show good gamemanship and finish their matches. If someone needs to drop out, please do it after a round is completed.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

My understanding on this is that the CDs are cut to work on only one type of OS, and are not compatible for both.

That said, it may be worth your while to drop the guys at BFC a line and see what it would take to get a PC compatible CD. Who knows, Matt may be in a good mood.

Thats only for CMBB and CMAK. CMBO is both, IIRC, my 1.0 version CD is. :D

I'm always up for PBEM action. I haven't used CMBO in a while, but it's still on my Mac. I can only run 2.5 turns a week, though, as our temporary rental has no internet connectivity. I'll have to take incoming files home from work and send my response files back from the office the next day. With each turn requiring two file exchanges, that's 2.5 turns every five working days.

As 2 people have now informed me, BO was indeed dual OS. So i'm in. Bear in mind it will be my first game of CM im about 2 years.

I'm going home next week so I will find my original CD then. It will then take a while to mod up. I'm a lazy law student. So I can play the turns as fast as you send them, but as long as they keep coming I don't mind if it takes a while.

Also maybe mention this on the other boards to see if people want to play. Even though CMBO isn't 'very groggish' there may still be people who play it but haven't checked this board.

Cheers

Will

I'm always up for PBEM action. I haven't used CMBO in a while, but it's still on my Mac. I can only run 2.5 turns a week, though, as our temporary rental has no internet connectivity. I'll have to take incoming files home from work and send my response files back from the office the next day. With each turn requiring two file exchanges, that's 2.5 turns every five working days.

Sorry Mos was 71331, It will require a min. of a turn a day, I am planning on no scenario's larger than 30 turns, but that represents 45 emails. if only one turn a day is sent that would be over 6 weeks. So at the moment I will say I need to have players willing to commit themselfs to a average of 1-2 turns a day for 3 small battles for approx. 2 1/2 months.

Count me in - Only played online live so will need to learn how to do it by email.
You might be able to play tcp if your opponant is

willing, but I doubt that many would since it is PBEM format. I would suggest that you find someone and do a couple of PBEM before then so that it will not be a problem at Tournament time, it is not hard but it does take a little getting use to. Sometimes getting files from someone can be a little challenging because of firewalls and such.

Looks like about 6 so far, about 6 more and I will give it a "Lets ROll" Approval.

I will not post this on other boards because I am only Registered here, I use them to pull scenario's but that is it. If any of you that use them boards want to mention it, "Thats Great".

This brings up a question as to what this New old

CMBO tourney should be called, I would like to hear some suggestions.

There is also names out there I see posting how they still love this game, But are closet players, not wanting to leave playing the AI, come out of the closet. Even if you do not play well, playing a real person is so much more fun. Win or lose.

its time to expand your limits.