The Death of Computer Gaming As We Know It?

I don't know how many are like me, but I haven't bought another PC game since the CM Gold demo came out several months ago. In fact, I can't even bring myself to even visit my favourite Costco or EBX to check out the latest releases. Not interested in other games, period. Not even close. No time to even look at another game. I bet I won't buy another PC game this year. Maybe next year too - unless CM2 is released. How can I, with all these new user scenario's and great PBEM partners out there? These BTS guys have spoiled us, and they've ruined the computer gaming industry forever!

Guest ACTOR

Too true. I was at Best Buy this weekend and I spent maybe three minutes looking at the games. I spent about twenty minutes looking at hardware wondering...how much better would CM run on this? smile.gif

That is one thing my wife actually likes, I am not buying more games!

I agree wholeheartedly. I just really haven't paid any attention to the new games coming out.

As for WWIIonline.... I'm still undecided. I think it is a really cool concept. But I'm not real sold on that pay as you play system.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

I have been totally involved playing CM since I got it. What really kills me for gaming are the horrendous prices by the time the games arrive in Canada- CM and Normandy '44 together cost me almost $160. They are good value for money, but I can't buy too many games at those prices...

I game therefor I am!

To be honest, although CM would have to rate as the best tactical computer wargame to ever come along, I also enjoy other games, especially strategic level wargames & military sims, and plan to continue buying quality products along these themes!

I must say though CM, once It arrives, will be the one that remains on my harddrive for the most time, or at least until CM2 comes along! wink.gif

Mace

I'm definitely done buying other wargames. I've always preferred tactical wargames, and CM is exactly what I have always wanted in a computer wargame. I buy games in other genres, though. Been having lots of fun with Diablo II and Icewind Dale, both of which arrived about the same time as CM.

Guest TURBO

I Haven't thought about another game since i found the beta demo in january. Except CM2.

This is the game that i have been wanting for since i played squad leader back in the 70's.

[This message has been edited by TURBO (edited 07-26-2000).]

Well, as good as CM is, I will probably buy Harpoon 4 when it comes out. I've been looking forward to that game for a good long while now, so CM or no CM, I will buy H4. How long I stay away from CM though is another matter smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Bad Ju Ju

I have a feeling the next computer war game I will buy may be CM2....

------------------

"I didn't go to evil medical school for six years to be called MR. Evil." Dr. Evil

I'm still waiting for Hasbro/Microprose to put together an all-singing-all-dancing sequel to Master of Magic. I may have a long wait though. But I'm not actively looking for a tactical wargame, that's for sure.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

I'm still waiting for Hasbro/Microprose to put together an all-singing-all-dancing sequel to Master of Magic. I may have a long wait though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. I should send this to my friend who is in love with Ulala from Space Channel 5. I can totally see the armies doing the can can across the field from each other ! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Well, as good as CM is, I will probably buy Harpoon 4 when it comes out. I've been looking forward to that game for a good long while now, so CM or no CM, I will buy H4. How long I stay away from CM though is another matter smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man, I am SO with you here. The original Harpoon was just great. I can't even count the hundreds of hours I lost to that game.

Harpoon 2 was a nice attempt. Ah, the screen shots of H4 are GREAT! I just hope the game mechanics are as good.

Guest Zulu1

Gotta agree about Harpoon 4. That is on the top of my next to buy list. Well, 2nd from top. CM2 is numero uno.

Also looking good are:

B17 - 2

Destroyer Command

Silent Hunter II

Deer Hunter MCXXII smile.gif

"He who eats only one thing all the time loses vitality.

The chef rules."

Great as CM is, I am always on the lookout for other historical genres; flight sims, operational games, naval, and in different time periods like Naps, ACW, or modern-era.

Guest dirkd1976

I got my copy of CM last Friday. Yesterday I removed Unreal Tournement, Rogue Spear (which I love), and Shogun (another good one)from my PC. They all ended up in my "game storage box". Bye, bye fellas, you were fun, but no I got no more time for ya!! wink.gif

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

I ordered Alpha Centauri while waiting for the CM to be finished.

Well, as it happened, CM arrived first. I've played SMAC for

about one hour.

On a side note, my websurfing's increased about tenfold. smile.gif

I won't bother to close connection between turns, so what

else is there to do.

Spook, while I'm totally involved with CM at present, I too have an interest in other wargames that might be good ... not much chance that they will be as good as CM but you never know. In that vein, I got a notification recently that the company that did the SMG follow on for Antietam, can't think of their name right now, is going to be using the SMG engine for Waterloo! Now that might be worth getting, despite the fact that Waterloo has been done to death.

Joe