shooting before crewed weapon can setup?

There is a +1 experience, US Heavy 30cal MG team in a building that I try to set up. They see an Mg-42 team before they setup. Instead of staying quite and set it up to even have a chance, 2 team members take pot shots at the mg-42 team with carbines WHYYYYY? I try to hide them (cease firing) so they can setup the big gun and they come out of hide mode to take pot shots at it again resulting in 2 out of 5 casualties and the team moving from the upper to lower floor.

Their +1 experience told them that they'd got shot by the Germans if they hesitated. ;)

If you REALLY don't want them to fire, a tight cover arc would be the tool. Even then, it's up to them. A technique may be to set up the .30 cal. team away from the window (with a tight cover arc towards the interior of the building). Then, once the mg is setup, see if you can give them a tight covered arc towards the window. (Some MGs can move without dismantling, but only a short distance. 1 or 2 AS?) I'm not positive it'll work like that.

Once they've initiated fire and started taking hits, it's kind of hard to get them to hush up and stay still. A FAST downstairs, finishing with a FACE away, would be better once the ambush is blown.

This game really depends on a degree of micromanaging from the player. There would be an equal situation where one would want the assistants to provide cover fire while the MG is setting up and we would be asking: why are they not shooting? Its Tac AI it will always shoot as a default unless commanded not to by the player.

Using target arcs to control engagement ranges is something that needs to be done continuously I'm afraid. My opinion. One thing I do is use the all round shift + target arc drag to set ranges. Its quicker and straight forward on the fly. I rarely use directional wedge arcs as direction of enemy can change often and it takes longer to draw.

For turreted AFV's one can waste so much time setting 180 degree arcs in the direction the gun needs to be facing while the AFV may be moving in a different direction.  Can't understand why BF got rid of the "one click 180 degree arc" command that was in CM1.  Really miss it.

-1 guys were doing it because they didn't know better? ;)

Try the covered arc thing. If you're doing RT, a pause is your friend...unless you're into iron-manning it. In that case, you'll be overwhelmed when more than a few units are in contact at the same time. (It's hard to be squad/team leader for multiple squads and teams simultaneously while bullets are flying.) If WeGo, well, this may be a case where you're trying to get a very specific behavior so you'll need to give very specific orders...and hope for the best.

Edited by c3k

22 hours ago, user1000 said:

There is a +1 experience, US Heavy 30cal MG team in a building that I try to set up. They see an Mg-42 team before they setup. Instead of staying quite and set it up to even have a chance, 2 team members take pot shots at the mg-42 team with carbines WHYYYYY? I try to hide them (cease firing) so they can setup the big gun and they come out of hide mode to take pot shots at it again resulting in 2 out of 5 casualties and the team moving from the upper to lower floor.

I think the motivation level may have played a role in this.  The higher the motivation the more likely the team will stick to your orders.  As an extreme example, a fanatic team on Hide will often (always?) allow an OpFor team to walk up to and shoot them without disobeying the Hide order.  So the higher a teams motivation with a short 360o Target Arc the more likely they would Deploy the MMG.  Since their orders are to Deploy MMG and ignore threats outside of the Target Arc.  This can also have an obvious downside if for some reason it is in their best interest to disobey the last order and do something different.

Just curious, do you remember what the motivation level of the MMG team was?