AI surrendering

I was wondering that enemies surrendering is only a feature in campaign missions and not in quick battles? 

I really hope it is also a feature in quick battles though but I have a feeling that it's limited to only the campaigns as I haven't seen any AI troops surrendering in quick battles. 

Thank you everyone for your help with my recent questions it is greatly appreciated :)

1 minute ago, Combatintman said:

AI surrenders occur in standalone scenarios, campaign scenarios and QBs.  I can't recall what the threshold is but when the AI sustains the threshold level of casualties (probably in the 60-70% ballpark) it automatically surrenders.

I barely see them in quick battles weirdly, but it's good to know that they can still occur! Thank you very much mate 

I think small scale surrenders happen more frequently for isolated units (no C2 and friendlies in sight) with very very bad morale and no safe retreat paths (for the units best of knowledge). A minus leader also appears to trigger that more oftenly. One the reasons I play Iron mode only, as it gives some idea how a unit "feels" and appreciates its own situation on the battlefield.

8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

I think small scale surrenders happen more frequently for isolated units (no C2 and friendlies in sight) with very very bad morale and no safe retreat paths (for the units best of knowledge). A minus leader also appears to trigger that more oftenly. One the reasons I play Iron mode only, as it gives some idea how a unit "feels" and appreciates its own situation on the battlefield.

Iron difficulty is recommended then? 

17 minutes ago, silent_crescendo said:

Iron difficulty is recommended then? 

There are different opinions of course.  My opinion is play Iron.  It is not a harder skill level in the traditional sense.  It actually gives you more information about your friendly units and their situational awareness.  The manual is not as clear as it could be on the subject which I think leads to some misunderstandings about how Iron works.  Below is a link to a discussion on skill level iron.

2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

There are different opinions of course.  My opinion is play Iron.  It is not a harder skill level in the traditional sense.  It actually gives you more information about your friendly units and their situational awareness.  The manual is not as clear as it could be on the subject which I think leads to some misunderstandings about how Iron works.  Below is a link to a discussion on skill level iron.

Thank you very much! 

Yep. A units soft factors and its effects can be way better evaluated in iron mode. One way better understands then, why a partiular unit breaks and routs from a good cover position i.e, when it becomes more apparent in iron mode that a unit not just lacks C2 maybe, but generally feels isolated and about beeing overwhelmed by too many enemies or their firepower.

Back on surrender topic, I had in a beta version of my AI pillbox attack scenario a particular pillbox/building (back to back) arrangement, that effectively prevented a pillbox crew to leave the action spot, even when the pillbox was exited due to destruction. I´ve seen the (remains of) pillbox crew then surrendering in almost every case during test plays. Soft factors were green experience and a -2 leader. I basically figured that it was the no escape route thing coupled with the -2 leader that triggers surrendering most frequently. There was also no C2 or LOS to any friendlies nearby, so the surrendering unit had full awareness, that its situation was totally hopeless. Although this is a special case situation and seldomly beeing seen in most our battles, I think in order to see more units surrendering we need to create little Stalingrads and give those pocketed units enough time to become fully aware of that.