Another Road To Wiltz V4.0 Scen Released

Another Road To Wiltz V4.0 Scen Released!

This is an enlarged, re-visioned  scen based on the CMBO Classic "The Road To Wiltz"  The map is 2400 X 1600 and is a very intricate and detailed game board.  This is a Fictional

story line scenario based on the US Army Official History. I have attached some of the Allied Text along with some Game Pics and, of course, the Scen and it's companion QB Map.

Armored Infantry-TF Easy - December 19th 1944 0630

"Orders is Orders", Captain U R Easy, mumbled as the Sherman Tank he was riding on hit yet another pot hole.  "Excuse me sir?", his radio man asked.  "Nothing corporal", just something my old Sergeant  Major said to me back at Fort Benning".  Captain Easy thought again about the crazy one he got handed from Regiment.
"There's a platoon of Shermans outside gassed up and ready to go.  Grab as many troopers as you can get and head down to Wiltz.  The 28th Division HQ is evacuating and your gonna block the Krauts." That was 0900 yesterday.  The Tanks were, indeed, gassed up. Just no crews and straight out of a repair depot. The rest of the day Captain Easy had hustled to corral some tankers and enough troops to ride them.  By 0400 on the 19th, the newly minted Task Force Easy was finally rolling. They hadn't been on the road ten minutes before one of the Sherman's broke down. Leaving the Sherman and riders with orders to get it running and get to Wiltz, the little column pushed on into the dead of night.  "Yep, Captain Easy thought, Orders IS Orders!"

28th ID- Diehards December 18th 1944 1730

Captain Max Dihardt had broken just about the biggest rule in the Army, he'd volunteered! He looked into haggard faces of his friends, Bull, Wild Bill, and Crazy Ed. I don't know what came over me but I had to do something! I haven't even fired my weapon since basic.  And you guys have been in it since D-Day! All I've done is push papers."
When General Cota had asked for an officer to set up road blocks around Wiltz he seemed to look directly at Max. Captain Dihardt's hand slowly rose. Now here he was, in command of a gaggle of typist, mechanics and band members watching the 28th "Bloody Bucket" heading to the rear.
Bull Shinisky spoke up. "Don't worry about it, Max.  We’re just making sure you live to pay up on the bet!"  Captain Dihardt stared quizzically.  "Bet?  What bet?"  Bull laughed, "The one you made that the war would before over by Christmas!" The others chimed in unison, "You got that right!"

Armored Engineers- December 19th 1944 0715

Pop Dixon was not called so because of his age.  No, the twenty-two year old lieutenant was the proud father of a beautiful baby girl born just before they embarked for France.  Now his small Demolition Team gathered around him.  "What's the word Pop?" Lieutenant Dixon sighed. "We got orders all right.  We're going to someplace called Wiltz and prepare a bridge for demolition. Then stand by and wait for orders."  His Sergeant stammered, "Wiltz that must be thirty miles from here."  Pop smiled. "Right, and they wanted us there yesterday!"

Cavalry Reconnaissance and Intelligence Team-December 18th, 1944

The last order Lieutenant Redmond 'Red' Bonze had received was to recon the roads East of Wiltz.  Higher command needed more information about the strength and makeup of German Forces attacking the Southern shoulder of what was fast coming to be known as 'The Bulge'. One of the Division' Intel officers also pressed him to check out a rumor that Germans were searching for our Fuel Dumps.  But right now Red had other fish to fry. Like how to get there. With the narrow Belgian roads clogged with all manner of retreating units.  Mere Lieutenants don't stand much chance of obtaining road clearance in the face of panic stricken Majors like the one waving his hands excitedly in his face right now. Looking at the confused river of humans and machines Red said, "I've got my orders, Major, now get off my road!"

At setup your units include the 28th Diehards, an MP Squad, 2 Antivehicle Mines and two Target Reference Points.
All other units, including Artillery, are Reinforcements.
You have 6 Known Objectives and 2 Unknown that require you to Hold, Touch, or otherwise Respond.  Your Axis Counterpart has his own set of Objectives both Known and Unknown as well. Each Player has a total of 1,000 points.  These are the only points awarded.  There are NO points for saving or making casualties or any other Conditions. 
Your orders may seem to be crazy or even impossible but they are ORDERS. As TF Easy Commander you are
the man in charge, so how you complete all these orders is up to you. The next two hours may be the
worst or best of your life.  Either way I hope you'll have as much fun as I did making this little nightmare up.
MarkEzra

Wiltz Postcard.bmp

Wiltz Tactical Map US.bmp

CMFB-Another Road To Wiltz Scen & QB Map.zip

MarkEzra,

Geez, the map looks really super.  I'll get into the action, hopefully by this weekend.

Quick question.  In the briefing you note in the Designer Notes section that the scenario is designed for Allied Vs AI, but all options are supported.  This would be in keeping with the most excellent storyline you have provided to tantalize us.

Then, on another line of the Designer Notes you offer a suggestion - H2H or Axis Vs AI.  There seems to be a little bit of a contradiction.  Just curious.

I plan on playing it as US because your write-up just begs to be played as the US player, but I'll be playing the AI.

I was looking forward to it just from your write-up, but having seen the map, it is all I can do to force myself to go to bed.  :D:D:D

Heinrich505

Another Road To Wiltz, like's forebear The Road to Wiltz, is designed With Allied vs Axis AI in mind.  But Each side has a full set of AI Plans.  What the player must consider when playing either as Axis vs Allied AI or H2H is the imbalance of forces.  The Axis has a lot of strength compared to the Allied.  But it's really a lot of intense fun no matter how you play. 

Edited by MarkEzra
spelling

As an "against the AI" player since CMBO's "Ham and Jam", I have always played stand alone battles in chronological order, and always Axis first, Allies second (Something I also did with the old style "operations"). Then I compare how I fared in the two.

With this particular battle having been away for a couple of days I'm only about ten minutes into it playing as the Axis, but already it is turning into a very interesting variation of the original version. A great piece of work.