Possibility of Holiday Sales?

Chromius

Hello, my Christmas wishlist is getting very pricey. I am wondering if there are sales over the holidays. I have owned all the CM 1 previously, but been busy with all the Paradox and Graviteam stuff.

Among my list is..

CM Black Sea
CM Red Thunder
CM SF and modules
CM Afghanistan
Replacement CH Fighterstick (old one wearing out) for DCS World and CloD
Steelbeasts Pro (1 yr license)
GTX 1070 OC to replace GTX 970 oc
More SSD

So I am looking to save wherever I can, pretty doubtful on GTX 1070 atm.

Edited by Chromius

12 minutes ago, IanL said:

There have never been any sales that I can recall.  They do make bundle deals but those are still not really sales because the price is set for the long term.

I believe Ian is right. Bundle deals are really the way to go if you are trying to save money. Unfortunately for you, I don't believe any of the games for which you have expressed interest, aside from SF, are bundled yet.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

6 minutes ago, IanL said:

And @Michael Emrys has been around these forums three times as long as I have :D

I think he was around here before Steve and Charles were born. ;) Word is there is a pic somewhere of him fuming because the Internet was taking too long to develop so he could sign on to a battlefront forum.  The issue at the time was copper wire had not yet been invented  

And no, BF does not do Christmas sales. They are Santa hating, atheistic, elf slandering capitalists. ..or sumfink. 

An SSD sale is not out of the question. I just picked up a 500gb SSD and was surprised at how much the price has come down. 

Edited by sburke

Chromius,

Welcome aboard!

As for your question, it's already been answered. There are only two ways I know of to save money on CMx2 sims: bundles and pre-ordering. Either that, or a LOT of patience. For example, CMx1's CMBO was $45.00 when released in 2000. It stayed that way for a very long time and was ultimately reduced to $15.00. It was that the last time I hit the Store to buy CMBS. As best I can determine from visiting today, unless BFC's Store is screwed up, it's now freeware. I certainly understand your desire and years of Christmas sale conditioning to expect same, but that's just not how BFC does things. I suspect it'll take at least another generation of CM engine and the associated new games to have any hope of seeing something like what happened with CMBO to occur.

Regards,

John Kettler

4 hours ago, Chromius said:

I am looking to save wherever I can

Keep an eye on Alienware ads, and you might snatch one for $33...

"Dell error hands Mexicans $33 laptop bargain"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38025662

"Mexican officials have ordered Dell Computers to honour the sale of laptops that had been mistakenly advertised online for just 679 pesos (£27; $33).
The computers normally sell for up to 50,000 pesos (£1,990; $2,500).
But because of an apparent software malfunction, only the shipping costs - 679 pesos - were included in an advert published earlier this month."

Thanks for the responses.

Strange on the sales, I swear I viewed CM Afghanistan on the storefront for $25.00 instead of $35.00 a couple months ago. So I thought I had missed a sale and there may be a future one. Well I will purchase CM-SF and modules and CM Afghanistan to start and get Red Thunder and Black Sea later on down the road then.

The 1070 is for a couple other gpu intensive programs I play that with maxed out graphics keeps me from dropping below 60fps. It has a 30-50% increase over the 970 in some cases, and it was the first step before I get a 144hz 1440p monitor sometime later in next year.

7 hours ago, Chromius said:

Thanks for the responses.

The 1070 is for a couple other gpu intensive programs I play that with maxed out graphics keeps me from dropping below 60fps. It has a 30-50% increase over the 970 in some cases, and it was the first step before I get a 144hz 1440p monitor sometime later in next year.

OK, that is reasonable then. 

I know of the shortcomings of CM SF and CM Afghanistan but i will start on those and get Red Thunder, Black Sea in a few months. I was happy with the CM1 titles and owned the boxed editions. I had always planned on getting everything Battlefront puts out, but between stuff like Paradox grand strategy, Graviteam, all the Theatre of War, WiTE, WitP, ect...just to name a few, I own most every title I have wanted so far except for the newer Battlefront titles and Steel Beasts Pro. I never run out of games, I run out of time. But I hope to own most of newer Battlefront titles before next year is out.

Edited by Chromius

8 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Er, that might take a long while as CMx3 has not even been mentioned by BFC as soon forthcoming. We are still in CMx2 and are expected to be for a while yet.

Am I making a mistake with terminology? I thought we were in CM2, and that CMx3 referred to the titles with the 3.0 engine?

40 minutes ago, Machor said:

Am I making a mistake with terminology? I thought we were in CM2, and that CMx3 referred to the titles with the 3.0 engine?

It seems to catch a lot of people. CMx2 is the official BFC terminology for the current game engine. However—and this is where it gets complicated—as a game engine evolves it goes through version numbers. So, officially where we are at now is CMx2v3. Soon we will be at CMx2v4. All clear now?

;)

Michael

38 minutes ago, Machor said:

In CM2, the 2 refers to the engine, and then CM2x3 refers to engine 2, game update 3. Then with the newest Black Sea patch you would be running CM2x3 Black Sea v1.04. But it is more complex when you have not just a patch level like most games, but also an engine version, and a game update version.

Thank you! - I was just about to post this based on BFC's wording for the CMFI v3.0 upgrade: "The 3.0 Upgrade for Fortress Italy converts and upgrades your existing game (and any installed modules) automagically to include most of the advanced CMx2 v3.00 game features! (This includes features you may already know and enjoy in Combat Mission: Red Thunder.)"

Kraze is correct, but it can still be a little confusing.
There are basically 3 things to consider

CMx2 is the overall engine for all games since (and including) CMSF.  The 1:1 representation, relative spotting etc being the foundation of the game engine compared to CMx1 games.

Then there are the game engine updates.  You can see that info in the launch screen lower right had corner.  Engine 3.0  That is relatively new and was added to clarify regardless which game you were playing that it was in the current CMx2 engine.

Finally (and this is where 90% of the confusion has always been) there is the actual game version.  Every game starts at 1.0 regardless of the engine version.  CMBN for example is 3.12.  That is a CMx2 game using engine version 3 and the 3.12 patched release of that particular game (CMBN started the post CMSF games so it started with engine version 1 and has it's version number updated as the engine was updated so it coincidentally is v3.12)

CMFI was the next game released and is currently patched to 1.02 (CMFI 1.0 in CMBN was version 2).  CMFI is the one game that has not gotten quite updated to the standard and you can see in the launch screen it has no mention of the engine version.  I assume that will likely change when CM releases the next module.

CMRT currently patched to 1.03.

CMBS currently patched to v1.04

CMFB patched version 1.02

Edited by sburke

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

Not exactly. Look at my post directly above yours. Unfortunately, the kind of mistake you are making tends to get perpetuated and mutated until we are at the Tower of Babel.

:wacko:

Michael

Yes, you are right - I had the number on the wrong side of the 'x'. But if so many get the version scheme wrong, then perhaps it is not people that are at fault, but the scheme.