The Best War Movie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well lets see....

Das Boot- Just the best WW2 movie ever made

U-571- Not realistic but I liked it, Lots of action!

Saving private ryan-Duh a no brainer here

My vote for the worst war movie ever made would have to go to The Thin Red Line, Whenever I cant seem to fall asleep I watch about half and hour of that film and it gives me the best nights sleep I would have in years. wink.gif

Guest SS Peiper

In order:

Stalingrad (1993)

Das Boot

The Winter War

Saving Private Ryan

Cross of Iron

The Bridge

Stalingrad (1958)

SS Peiper

"From Hell to Victory" starring George Peppard, George Hamilton, Horst Bucholtz and Capucine. Every war movie rolled into one.

------------------

"One must gratefully acknowledge that the real reason for Allied victory over Germany in World War II was the superior skill of the enormous army of lawyers filing suit against Hitler in the Federal courts of the United States."

Churchill -- 1945

Guest MantaRay

1. SPR. Best opening scene in the history of war films.

2. Sands of Iwo Jima. I know it is a stupid film as far as realism goes, but John Wayne is the patriotic symbol of just how Americans were back then.

3. Siege of Fire Base Gloria. R. Lee Ermey plays a tougher military figure than my RI's did.

4. Midway First film I saw that didnt make Japanese into typical stereotypes. Epic movie with lots of real footage.

5. The Green Berets. Still the only decent movie about SFOD. Little Hoakey, but captures some of the spirit of GB's. Also not very PC for the time period.

Ray

Absolutely, positvely, Thin Red Line. I absolutely loved every aspect of it. Of course, Saving Private Ryan was great, as was The Longest Day. I am especially looking forward to Tom Hanks' and Steven Speilberg's upcoming WW2 miniseries, 'Band of Brothers' (based on the excellent book by Steven Ambrose).

------------------

"Are you righteous, kind? Does your confidence lie in this? Are you loved by all? Know that I was, too. Do you imagine your sufferings will be less because you loved goodness, truth?"

Saving Private Ryan is the best war film made. However, anybody remember "Porkchop Hill" based on S. L. A. Marshalls book of the Korean War? One of the most realistic battle scenes I've seen before SPR.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

The worst film of all time would have to be The Thin Red Line, if you can sit through that without falling asleep you gotta have something wrong with you. Wasnt it supposed to be about the horrors of war? The only thing that made me cringe was Jon Travlota.

Oh Man!!! Oh Man!

You gotta look deeper in that film. Forget about John Travolta and the hollywood shceme. The movie is very deep. It is a very auditory and visual view that dipicts lots of truth in war. Of course this is my take on the film. This is more of an inner more pshycological film. I thought it was quite good.

I especially liked the scenes of the two fellows (soldiers) who found paradise in the local villagers. The ones who were (americans) captured back by the americans. It was a an interesting view of the real sense of what war is. Insane.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TankDawg:

Whether you liked the movie or not, simply the greatest war scene of any movie, anywhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention what must be one of the most heartbreaking death scenes ever committed to film.

Das Boot*

All quiet on the Western Front (either version)

Twelve O'Clock High

Paths of Glory

The one with Gregory Pack as a B-17 group commander (it's on the tip of my tongue, honest)

SPR (mainly for the beach scene and the accurate hardware)

*the original tv series; six fifty-minute episodes. And you through the director's cut was good? smile.gif

A bridge too far (book better), Das Boot, SPR (technically the best), Kelley's Heroes, *are* all good movies.

But you if you have not seen the following, do so:

- Winterwar. A better film than SPR, you can actually feel something for the guys.

And the trench-scenes with the Russians charging seem very realistic.

- Unknown soldier. Another Finnish film. Made in two versions, I think the later (color) one is the best.

- Cross of Iron. Excellent casting. And Sam Peckinpah's action-scenes are just great.

- When trumpets fade. Showing the ordinary soldiers as most of them must have been. Non-heroes, frightened...

1. Saving privat Ryan. No need to explain, I think.

2. Charlie MoPic84. Not much action in this movie, but I really felt a bit shaken after this one.

3. Winter war. It's been twice on TV here in Finland and I still don't have it in video tape...

4. The unknown soldier. The older B&W version is better than the newer version, IMHO.

JV

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JigVictor07:

3. Winter war. It's been twice on TV here in Finland and I still don't have it in video tape...

4. The unknown soldier. The older B&W version is better than the newer version, IMHO.

JV<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ordered my copy from Boxman. Took me more than 3 months to get it. No wonder they (Boxman) have had to close down. IMO, served them right, due to their lousy service.

Must admit it was a while since I saw either of the Unknown Soldier versions, but I remember I for certain fancied the later one.

Why do you think the b&w version is better?

1. 12 O'Clock High

2. Das Boot

3. Hell is for Heroes

4. The Dirty Dozen

5. The Blue Max

6. Stalag 17

7. King Rat

8. Ft. Apache

Those are my tops for storyline.

For action:

1. SPR

2. Cross of Iron

3. Zulu

4. Memphis Belle

5. Battle of the Buldge (only for the Panzerlied scene...I was ready to fight after watching them sing the song).