Apparent real pic of samurai after battle

Brother Charles sent me a pic of a samurai after a grueling battle. He has a rather grisly traditional proof of success, so am not going to provide a hyperlink. Image appears to have been taken in Japan circa US Civil War when the samurai had their last hurrah before becoming relics of another time, and there are other pics online from this period, some hand tinted. To find this image, use the phrase (samurai with head), and I suggest you use the LinkedIn version, which is much larger than the one I got. The victorious samurai's armor is badly torn up, and you can see how close he came to losing.

Regards,

John Kettler

12 hours ago, John Kettler said:

StieliAlpha,

You have no idea! Here is a beautiful set of hand tinted samurai pics.

http://www.boredpanda.com/last-samurai-photography-japan-1800s/

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi John

Either we get different results in Google or you misunderstood me. No doubt that there is "normal" content, too. But one finds a lot of sick stuff under this header. Like the Vietcong (?) with his full shoulder pockets....

Edited by StieliAlpha

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.8.2016 at 9:27 AM, John Kettler said:

... and you can see how close he came to losing.

I am pretty convinced that what you see in the hole in the armor is actually the bottom of his rib cage.

I do not think he survived that fight either.

Best regards
Thomm

Wow, impressive photo.........

It's one of those photos that, despite the technical limitations of the cameras of that time, still manages to relate the intensity of the moment. Even in WWII those pictures were seldom.

For anyone interested, this book has many of those pictures:https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Camera-World-War-II/dp/0760310130

On 10.8.2016 at 5:05 AM, John Kettler said:

StieliAlpha,

How odd. In reaction to what you said, I just went through the entire primary page of Google Images under the search phrase I gave you. I didn't see a single image of the sort you report, and I don't have the filter results engaged.

Regards,

John Kettler

Google collects all the data you entry into their various services (Goolge search engine, Youtube, etc.) and analyzes it to create a complete picture of your behaviour on the internet. They fit the settings of the Google Search Engine to your tastes and interests with the data aquired (and hell knows what else they do with all the data). So simply put, when you and a friend of yours type in the same search words you will never get the same answers/hits.

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

I am pretty convinced that what you see in the hole in the armor is actually the bottom of his rib cage.

I do not think he survived that fight either.

Best regards
Thomm

Doesn't look like the bottom of the rib cage to me. That would be a deep, gaping hole and he wouldn't be standing anymore as part of the lungs would have been removed to see the bottom. It looks like a nasty gash still - one can assume that he received wounds by a blow which tears battle armour like that. I don't see any bare ribs, though.

Optimist that I am I would give him a chance to have survived this. But then again, the chances of a Samurai to die of natural causes was rather small.

44 minutes ago, DasMorbo said:

Doesn't look like the bottom of the rib cage to me. That would be a deep, gaping hole and he wouldn't be standing anymore as part of the lungs would have been removed to see the bottom. It looks like a nasty gash still - one can assume that he received wounds by a blow which tears battle armour like that. I don't see any bare ribs, though.

What I mean is the costal cartilage tissue connecting the sternum with the actual ribs.  If you google up a picture of a human skeleton and scale it to fit the Samurai, this specific section of the frontal part of the rib cage falls into the location of the bright "stripes" on the photograph. The lungs and heart would still be fully covered.

Of course, we cannot even be sure that we are looking at the same photograph.

Best regards,
Thomm

9 hours ago, Douglas Ruddd said:

Besides, that image is way too clean for a 19th century photo, IMHO.

That struck me too. How many photographers in Japan at that time would have had the skills, equipment, and opportunity to take such a picture? Not claiming that it was more recent or faked, but I have to say that there is considerable uncertainty involved and that for the moment I wouldn't claim it as proof for anything.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...