Bating RPG's

BTR

BTR,

Took me a moment to process, starting with the title. Not sure whether you meant to type "baiting" or "battling," though I deem the second less likely. In any event, are you saying now fewer than six RPGs opened up on your guys, but you remained unhit? Great screenshots!

Regards,

John Kettler

Yah I find the effective range if RUS/UKR rpgs is 75m.

You can try for 100m  but 1) your accuracy drops exponentially with each meter and 2)if you miss, and you probably will, the counter  fire will rip your team apart. 

75m  Max, for me. 

Edited by kinophile

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

BTR,

Took me a moment to process, starting with the title. Not sure whether you meant to type "baiting" or "battling," though I deem the second less likely. In any event, are you saying now fewer than six RPGs opened up on your guys, but you remained unhit? Great screenshots!

Regards,

John Kettler

I meant baiting as "provoking" and "taunting", also as positioning by BTR-70 as a bait for the enemy to unload their AT's at :). After a six grenades being launched at it in a single turn, it came out unscathed.

53 minutes ago, VladimirTarasov said:

I during service was able to hit a armored vehicle sized target at 150 meters, the sight on the RPG-7 makes it more accurate than one would think. In game I got hits at 150-180 meters but sometimes they even miss at 70 meters. 

This was a question of proper suppression. Not one enemy RPG team was not receiving fire at the time. My RPG gunners worked fine throughout this entire match, scoring some really good hits despite being relatively untrained. 

Also a pic from this scenario at the end:

HD9RsmE.jpg

Edited by BTR

BTR,

Thanks for the clarification. This reminds me of an all too common mistake when people refer to being in a great state of suspense. They write "baited" instead of "bated, whereupon my mind immediately visualizes them with worms on their tongues! Terrific pic! looks frighteningly like some of the real convoy vids we've seen in Ukraine.

Regards,

John Kettler

BTR,

How splendid the battlefield looks, and how wonderful you have such a savvy and video talented foe in Avtomat! It's great to see the thought processes, decisions made, influence of terrain, impact of the foe on the battle plan, coordination of forces in space and time, fire and movement, morale and a bunch of other pieces all clearly on display. Loved his wry observation regarding assessment of where you'd make your push:

"This was incorrect." 

I look forward to seeing more of his excellent work.

Regards,

John Kettler

BTR,

Avtomat seems to me to be a most impressive tactical analyst. I thought Su-25 attack was bad, but Mi-24 seems to be much worse. Perhaps this is because of shallow delivery angle? Given the plethora of RPG rocket misses against a big tall target (much higher vertical profile than a tank, I find myself wondering what Avtomat's troop quality, command and other factors are. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

7 hours ago, George MC said:

Enjoying the AAR. But did your man read the briefing? Some odd choices given how the Russian player can win this...

Nicely put together video clips and an engaging narrative though :)

Against a human player, there is always that element of uncertainty that governs initial decisions. I think that is mostly what factored in the choices made.  

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

BTR,

Avtomat seems to me to be a most impressive tactical analyst. I thought Su-25 attack was bad, but Mi-24 seems to be much worse. Perhaps this is because of shallow delivery angle? Given the plethora of RPG rocket misses against a big tall target (much higher vertical profile than a tank, I find myself wondering what Avtomat's troop quality, command and other factors are. 

Regards,

John Kettler

I've not noticed Mi-24's hitting harder for UKR side, but then I've yet to encounter anyone who uses air support over helicopter support for the Ukrainians in my PBEM's. 

44 minutes ago, BTR said:

Against a human player, there is always that element of uncertainty that governs initial decisions. I think that is mostly what factored in the choices made.  

Aye for sure. I should stress I am enjoying seeing you two have at each other and gaining an insight into your oppo's choices.

I guess my point FWIW is that his intent appears to be combating your attack i.e. it looks and sounds like a conventional response to a set piece attack rather than taking note of what the intent in the Russian brief is?

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD - highlight white text to see

The Russians get the majority of points for KOing the supply trucks. Therefore even if you lose all your RPGs automatic fire and MGs can seriously ruin trucks.

If the Russian player focusses on ambushing them, then the UKR player has to take their time and clear every possible firing point. Time is not on his side as the Russians have in-coming heavy reinforcements. So the UKR player has to press forward and with haste.

It appears at the moment that Avomat has attempted to stop your movement forward rather than encourage you to cross the river and then attack, at which point he would have cut your force in two. Then the you, the UKR player would have been fighting a/ to save your isolated elements (takes time - which you don't have) b/ at some point you'd have to press forward. If the supply trucks don't exit or are KO'd the UKR player loses.

So in short the Russians go to ground, perhaps some light harassing fire but hold their fire until the UKR player is starting a crossing - then light em up!

In any case I'm enjoying the AAR which is nicely done and looks like you guys had a blast. Pleased to see how others play a scenario I put together.

Cheery!

Edited by George MC

3 hours ago, George MC said:

it looks and sounds like a conventional response to a set piece attack rather than taking note of what the intent in the Russian brief is?

In any case I'm enjoying the AAR which is nicely done and looks like you guys had a blast. Pleased to see how others play a scenario I put together.

Cheery!

Could be, I certainly held my trucks back until that response element arrived :P. 

I find this scenario among the best in CMBS, partly because engagement scale fits the map, and the overall theme fits the scale. 

BTR,

To me, the foliated natural looking terrain, where the Russian infantry is so prominently featured in action, is simply amazing. The KPVTs on your BTR 70s are bad, but the 2A42s on your BMP 2s are much worse. It appears Avtomat has no FS at all, which I find odd for the artillery rich Russians, especially the skilled Recon troops. If Suvorov/Rezun is to be believed, these are the best troops in the parent unit, and it's a shame to see them fighting an engagement for which they seem very poorly equipped--across the board. Even a few ATGM teams would be of enormous help here. I completely agree with Avtomat that this is now  a "Save the troops!" point in the game. Am pretty sure there's no benefit for him in doing so, other than to limit potential POWs. Were this a Nabla System game in tournament, people would be doing everything possible to get men and everything else movable completely off the map, in order to deny the foe as many points as possible. The great thing about the System was that the battles could be absolutely hopeless, but victory lay in outperforming everyone else in the same awful fix. In one CMBB battle, "Royal Opponent," I used F-Killed King Tigers as carriers for unhorsed armor crews and cut up infantry (?), shuttling back and forth to drop them off near the map edge before exiting the tanks. Back then, there was a global morale tracker, and it was quite fiddly saving as much as possible without triggering a general surrender before the game ended. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

8 hours ago, John Kettler said:

BTR,

-Snip-

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah, there are a couple of things I'd do differently if I was representing a recon company in ambush, but this scenario without any FS support is not improbably either. The Russians get a BMP platoon later in the scenario towards the very end. Something I was very afraid of that made me form up a final column 30 mins before the timer.