AI, Mortars/Artillery, and my deployment zone

Today I thought I'd play a battalion level game for long term entertainment. I set it up so that I had an infantry battalion with some reinforcements and the enemy had their infantry battalion. Big map, plenty of room to maneuver. Sounds fun!

I got this tiny deployment zone crammed full of my men. I spaced them out as much as I could and prepared them to move out of the deployment zone. First turn, rounds start coming in around my deployment zone. It's awesome that they aren't dropping them straight onto my deployment zone. But what is the AIs obsession with dropping artillery around your deployment zone? I know that in real war you'd want to limit lanes of approach and cause as many casualties as possible, but it isn't like I have anywhere to go, or another route to take. This isn't the first time it has happened. Should I just count on spending the first 10 minutes of every game hanging out in my deployment zone? I don't want to completely strip them of any indirect fire, so that they may use it later. Anyone else experience this? Is the only solution to strip them of indirect fire? I can't go anywhere, and if I didn't have a ridge between me and the rounds coming in I'd probably be taking casualties. This is frustrating and kind of ruins my fun.

The first turn arty strikes are just a thing for QB maps at the moment. So yeah, I find that usually waiting it out is the best option to take, especially with huge masses of infantry in the open. 

What's New

All Meeting Engagement Maps have no AI first turn Artillery Strikes of any kind!

All Probe Style Maps have no AI first turn Artillery Strikes (exception The AI can lay Smoke on first turn)

Assault and Attack Maps still Have AI Artillery plans for first turn but with limits. The AI Attacker targets Objectives only

The AI Defender no longer targets EVERY possible line of attack the Human Player has available.

Above comments from MarkEzra, the Battlefront QB map architect in this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/121388-whats-new-for-cmfb-quick-battle-games/ , among other new changes. 

It looks like starting with CMFB, the QB AI will be improved, so this behavior hopefully won't be as obnoxious. That being said, I would seriously doubt that these changes will be applied to the older titles or QB maps, as I believe that would require individually changing every individual map. 

Yes, I am playing with 3.11. I could post screenshots but I'm lazy. The closest shells are landing maybe, 75 meters from the edge of my deployment zone just on the other side of a ridge. I was curious to see if it would cause casualties, and as soon as an infantryman crossed the ridge into the higher ground they started taking hits. They haven't blocked all my lanes of approach, but they've hit the low grounds in two seperate areas with 120s, with another shelling a road/open field that leads into town. I can advance into the open onto some highground, but that would be suicide since a significant portion of the map can see this point. It's rather annoying, but I guess I'll wait it out.

RE: Retro Fit of CMBN QB Maps. 

I actually gave it some thought...  I'd have to re-do Hundreds of maps for the base game and three modules. To bring it up to current specs requires more than wiping off some AI arty orders but a whole renaming and description re-organization as well.  That would entail more hours than I can spare. 

RE: Retro Fit of CMBN QB Maps. 

I actually gave it some thought...  I'd have to re-do Hundreds of maps for the base game and three modules. To bring it up to current specs requires more than wiping off some AI arty orders but a whole renaming and description re-organization as well.  That would entail more hours than I can spare. 

Slacker.  :D  That actually is a massive undertaking.  I worry for your sanity.

It's rather annoying, but I guess I'll wait it out.

I usually give it enough time until I know where the shells are falling, and then route my troops to avoid those spots. I also budget enough time so that I am not under a lot of pressure to get moving in a hurry and risk losing a big chunk of my force right off the bat.

Michael