Battle of the Bulge videos

The Enemy Strikes

American newsreel from March 1945 set in a sober tone for the homefront. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu1AIiqARiQ

The Battle of St. Vith

U.S. Army documentary from 1965 narrated by actor Robert Taylor. Several American and German veterans of the battle describes their experiences including Rundstedt's Chief of Staff General Siegfried Westphal and General Bruce C Clake CCB 7th AD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIb4dBEsin0

Kaiserbaracke Crossroads

Unsorted German footage, some of which used in the Wochenschau Newsreel.

Edited by Big Boss

• 2 months later...

Some more wartime allied newsreels from the Bulge. This time its British material.

Battle Report from Belgium (British Pathé)

The Bulge - British Pressure (British Movietone)

The Bulge Shrinking (British Movietone)

On 1/16/2016 at 10:24 AM, Big Boss said:

The Enemy Strikes

American newsreel from March 1945 set in a sober tone for the homefront. 

Surprising that  Hasso von Manteuffel's commentary was in German. He was said to have spoken perfect, idiomatic English and, in fact, gave lectures to American military colleges in that language after the war.

And I find it striking that in the video US troopers (and Germans) were constantly lighting up cigarettes. WW2 was a nicotine fueled victory. Take that, smoking abolitionists.

5 hours ago, gnarly said:

Great posts Big Boss! Helps a lot to give the game 'life'

Thanks! I always like to watch footage from the battles I play.

4 hours ago, bodkin said:

Not video but the only colour photography of Bastogne battlefield I know of.

http://old.506infantry.org/his2ndbnwwiiarticle08.html

Very nice find bodkin, I have never seen this before although I've seen some LIFE photos in color before.

http://time.com/3628396/battle-of-the-bulge-rare-photos-from-hitlers-last-gamble/

19 minutes ago, Childress said:

Surprising that  Hasso von Manteuffel's commentary was in German. He was said to have spoken perfect, idiomatic English and, in fact, gave lectures to American military colleges in that language after the war.

And I find it striking that in the video US troopers (and Germans) were constantly lighting up cigarettes. WW2 was a nicotine fueled victory. Take that, smoking abolitionists.

I’ve also read that he spoke fluent English but maybe he was asked to speak in German as not to confuse the audience:).

On the anecdotal side, It is said in Bergströms The Ardennes, 1944-1945: that when the German infantry infiltrated between US outposts during the early hours on the first day of the offensive that they could tell that the men in the trenches were American by the sweet smell of their Virginia tobacco. The Germans had to do with the much harsher Turkish tobacco or Ersatz.

Very interesting. I read that when US troops surrendered- and they surrendered in quantity during the Bulge-the first thing the Germans did was to strip the POWs of their Lucky Strikes. Hitler was a smoking abolitionist, in some ways a proto-progressive on the subject (and others like disarming civilians), but gave up in the face of the Landsers' nicotine demands. 

Resolved: the great number of smokers among the troops, the more formidable the army. ;)

Edited by Childress

• 2 weeks later...