Spotting?

I don't understand spotting at times it really seems to make no sense.  I had a situation today where one Russian T34-85 buttoned up killed five Panzer IV.  T34-85 was regular buttoned up and nervous as all his buddies around him were dead.  The Panzer IV's were all Veteran and unbuttoned.  The fight was at 1,032meters.    The icons said I could see the Russian tank and eyeing it myself seemed to be able to see it as well.  The T34-85 just systematically shot and killed all five with one shot as fast as it could and my tanks kept pointing at the T34-85 but would not shoot.

Ahh, you have found BF's Modern Day Warfare ( CMSF, etc ) poking it's ugly head in WWII...The One Shot One Kill Syndrome.

Joe

I don't understand spotting at times it really seems to make no sense.  I had a situation today where one Russian T34-85 buttoned up killed five Panzer IV.  T34-85 was regular buttoned up and nervous as all his buddies around him were dead.  The Panzer IV's were all Veteran and unbuttoned.  The fight was at 1,032meters.    The icons said I could see the Russian tank and eyeing it myself seemed to be able to see it as well.  The T34-85 just systematically shot and killed all five with one shot as fast as it could and my tanks kept pointing at the T34-85 but would not shoot.

I don't doubt your story, but that sounds really bad. Smells like a bug. Long shot maybe, but are you sure all the PIVs had ammo? When you clicked on them, did it say the gunner was "aiming"?

Edited by Bulletpoint

It is unusual for sure.  I have not noticed this before.  My Pz IV's had ammo lol.  Sorry for no save file.  They simply would not shoot the T 34.  I seem to always have bad luck with armor but no worries I am sure its more on me than the game as the game is amazing. 

note:  I did not mean the T34-85 killed all in one shot it killed them all one at a time taking only one shot for each kill.  I re-read my post sorry for the confusion.

note:  I did not mean the T34-85 killed all in one shot it killed them all one at a time taking only one shot for each kill.  I re-read my post sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I know what you meant...I'm simply referring to the that fact Armor engagements in WWII CMx2 happen way to fast compared to RL ( seems as fast as Modern ). 

I always use Green (change Scenario Units in the Editor) with either Low to High Motivation (depending on how I perceive quality of troops) and still find the engagements happen to quickly...But anyways. 

Edited by JoMc67

Yeah, I know what you meant...I'm simply referring to the that fact Armor engagements in WWII CMx2 happen way to fast compared to RL ( seems as fast as Modern ). 

I always use Green (change Scenario Units in the Editor) with either Low to High Motivation (depending on how I perceive quality of troops) and still find the engagements happen to quickly...But anyways. 

That's largely because we knife fight with our tanks, at ranges where first shot hits with "proper" AT KE rounds aren't improbable if target and shooter are stationary. And an 85mm hitting the outdated (for '43) armour of a PzIV should be expected to do serious damage.

Oh that's scary. I have win10 and have had no real issues. Were the games working under win10 before?

I hope you can get it working and see if the same thing happens again - with a save or two this time.

Re: WW2 felling like modern: I just have to laugh when I read that. Play some CMBS and see if you feel that way. Modern tanks in CM are way more deadly and efficient than in the WW2 titles.

Also the one shot kill discussion has been had, summary: it does not happen all the time dispute the complaints to the contrary and it is likely just about right as some one pointed out the Soviet 85 is way over powered for a PzIV to handle.

IanL@ I got it working through the help desk.  I had to remove the app launcher from my folder and put it on the desktop....than copy paste it back in and the game ran just fine.  I have had no issue with wind 10 and CM before the update.

As for my CM situation I went back and looked at the battle but could not recreate what had happened.  I did notice that about 50M in front of the T34-85 was a rail fence so maybe this blocked LOF enough that my Pz IV's could no return fire.  In the future I will try and get my save files if I have any problems.  Honestly though most issues I have in game are my fault once I look into the problem :)

Glad to hear it. Yes usually our own tactical missteps are at fault but occasionally low probability events happen and even from time to time bugs.

When you say you could not reproduce the issue does that mean the PzIVs prevailed the second time?

Yes, I tried to move everything to the same spots for the turn but this time after losing one Pz IV three of his buddies responded killing the T34-85. 

Was there any trees between or around the T-34 and the Pz IV? Sometimes a single tree is sufficient to prevent the TacAI to aim and shoot at the center point of opposing armor. I at least encounter these sort of things occasionally in CMBN. That can be hardly recreated in subsequent battles, even when moving into the same action spots, as trees are repositioned randomly within an action spot in every new game. Just a guess...

Yes, I tried to move everything to the same spots for the turn but this time after losing one Pz IV three of his buddies responded killing the T34-85. 

Yep, that sounds more like an average to good outcome for a single T34 in a situation like that.

I have never seen fences causing line of fire confusion like trees can.