Waypoint targeting - likely bug

Why should smoke act as a force-field?  Would it not be a little a gamey to spit a wall of smoke in front of your men and then march them up to the enemy without worrying about casualties.  Two sides of the camp on this one.  My opinion is to allow firing through smoke but with accuracy penalties. 

It gets more interesting.

I later tried to reproduce the situation without smoke.  Just stacking a targeting order on top of a way point, and I could not repeat it.  I don't know how or why it worked the first time.  It is a somewhat reasonable thing to want to do, since you want to know if where you stop a tank will have LOS to point X.  (as there is no general point-to-point LOS tool)

Furthermore, this generation of CM does behave different.  As it seems that as long as the area fire order is in prior to the smoke, the unit shoots.  I believe in the previous generation (CMBB/CMAK) lose of LOS meant cancellation of the target.

As a side note:  (as I just switched) previously area fire was accurate, but just not aimed at a unit/tracking.  In this generation, area fire is much more diffuse.

Well, I am not talking about the aiming, but where the fire goes.

Now, of course, I am making an assumption that WYSIWIG and that tracers are not simply an abstraction.  HMG tracers will cover a much wider area than in the previous generation where they pretty much impacted in a tight pattern.  So, there are a number of questions here:

* Are the tracers an abstraction or a representation?

* If they are representation is area fire now intended to be more diffuse?

* Or is area diffuse, because the prior modeling was too accurate for such fire?

Ha ha ... once you ask one question ... it leads to a series of questions.  Well, I know what to do.  Just play the game.  Because in the end, the only question which counts is:  Is it fun?  :)

Well, I am not talking about the aiming, but where the fire goes.

For stabilized platforms such as tank cannon (not moving) that is where the fire goes, at least until dispersion becomes significant at very long ranges. Small arms fire has more dispersion at much shorter ranges as you would expect.

Tracers are literal in CMx2, but again I don't recall what area fire dispersion was like in CMx1. Whatever it is in CMx2 I doubt it is a bug.