Why is US CAS so expensive?

John, I think you're missing out on the "other factors".

You can target Air assets anywhere on the map without LOS.

Aircraft are capable of spotting targets and engaging them independently.

Aircraft can loiter over the area and make multiple attack runs without needing to call them in multiple times.

You do not require direct observation of enemy forces to hit them with precision air-delivered missiles and bombs.

These are the type of things artillery simply cannot do, and that's why aircraft and helicopters are much more expensive.

Not to mention the most important factor of all:

When playing against a human opponent, and they hear jets going by overhead, their first reaction is "Oh Sh*t!"

You can't put a price on that. :D

somehow, your last sentence is in perfect harmony with your avatar picture ;)

however i would like to point out for Russians targetting anywhere on the map (or Ukr) is only possible preplotted or withiin range of a TRP. otherwise LOS is needed though you can play games with area attack to hit things pretty far out of LOS

Can the Russians use UAV's for targeting airstrikes?

Can the Russians use UAV's for targeting airstrikes?

not sure. never buy em as russ and dont buy their smallest one bc it cannot be shot down by the US so i feel its gamey. however id bet ten to one that yes they can though its an interesting question since only a air controller team can call in air strikes... Edited by Sublime

• 3 weeks later...

I believe what you pay for in aircraft points may work itself out in damage to enemy units.

Ie A US single Jet is 1800?

Carries ATGM x6? 

6 Shots - Should mean 6 Kills

BMPs at 300 Points each is 1800

If tanks you may get more bang for buck.

Risk is being shot down by AA.

Personally id rather use artillery or ground units.

Im top of the warefare hq ladder for a reason for CMBS.

And one of those is not putting points in air units.

Ah, warefare hq ? is that another club I am not familiar with?  Or are you talking about theBlitz where you have been kicking a** and forgetting names: http://www.theblitz.org/ladders/combat-mission-x2-modern/b-11.htm?action=ladder&id=19&page=1&orderby=elo&order=desc

A 13 - 2 - 2 record is bloody scary.

I believe what you pay for in aircraft points may work itself out in damage to enemy units.

Ie A US single Jet is 1800?

Carries ATGM x6? 

6 Shots - Should mean 6 Kills

BMPs at 300 Points each is 1800

If tanks you may get more bang for buck.

Risk is being shot down by AA.

Personally id rather use artillery or ground units.

Good, logical breakdown.  Similar breakdowns showed why buying big German armor in our various WW2 games wasn't the best investment either.  You lose that one big cat and you're toast.  But if you instead had a mixed bunch of weaker stuff you could cover more ground and afford to lose an exchange or two without losing all mobile firepower.

Having said that, in some situations it's worth having the single, expensive asset.  For example, if you spot a player maneuvering a BMP platoon on the other side of a forest you can't hit, you could totally nix the player's attack plan with an Apache by wiping out 3 BMPs and their mounted Squads, thus giving you time to shift forces to wipe out the rest of the force.  Or being in the middle of a knock-down-drag-out fight with the bulk of a tank company and laying waste to a big chunk of it within a couple of minutes of fighting.

The term I'm describing is "force multiplier".

Of course it doesn't do much if you get it shot down, bogged in the rear, or otherwise out of commission before it does anything.  I can still remember teh howls of CMBO players that got their King Tigers bogged down before they got into LOS of the enemy :D

That said, generally speaking QBs are generally not a good place for the expensive stuff.  That was true for CMx1 as well as CMx2.

Steve

Gaz do you ladder play equally both sides or only ladder play US out of curiousity?

@Steve heh I remember when I was a total PBEM noob and played Fionn Kelly in BO. He had Americans. I bought an Elite KT that ate up a huge portion of my points. He handily destroyed it in the first few minutes due to my over aggressive maneuvering and proceeded to demolish the rest of my force.

Edited by Sublime

Sorry was the Blitz ladder

Warfare HQ was my old ladder group for CMBB lol

Was top of that ladder then too for CMBB, CMAK . In saying that it was about fun and playing random games.

Just ended up there on top. Just like the All Blacks I hope lol

I play either side, I do not really care and let my opponent choose or mirror games

Played more Russian or Ukraine than US generally

I've actually won about 7 games I think games as US and never recorded them alonmg with a few Russian games  as I was trying to be nice to my opponent and keep them interested

When I play US i am now trying to find ways of making it hard for my self

Ie no Abrams Tanks or I take 1 only

And I use Bradleys only or the other Stryker 105? cannon

I'm trying Sniper Teams or SAW Teams with AT launchers as a main AT force along with Humvess and 50cals but Tunguskas are doing damage to them with there straffling its very hard

I never use TRPs or anything gamey where possible

Also trying similar tactics with Russian units and just using BMPs or similar