Beach Landings

Hi All ! I don't know why - i suddenly had this outburst of trying my luck @ beach assaults.

I tried the Blue & Gray campaign 1st scenario

Saving Private Ryan campaign 1st scenario and

Bloody Omaha scenario

Come on guys, the assault almost seems impossible. I can't get the hack out of the beaches, before getting 3/4's of my units KIA.

Is their a 'recipe' ? (I'm not joking)

As in, throw smoke? Run or Move or Slow (crawl) ?

Run Zig Zag or Run straight ?

Any small hints, maybe bullet points.. would be extremely welcomed ! And serves as a good launchpad to others who wish to try their luck in similar scenarios.

Thanks All !

Edited by borg

part of why the appeal of beach landings is more in the theory than the practice is- it is a straight up frontal assault.  If you can't simply swamp the beach defenses in men and fire power you will lose.  There is no subtlety.  It looks amazing, but from a player command perspective there is little to do.  Smoke would be the most effective item to allow you to close with the beach defenses, assuming you have it.  And I don't mean smoke grenades, but artillery smoke.

Is their a 'recipe' ? (I'm not joking)

Push push push.  Just keep your men moving when they break and run back  you just keep them moving back towards the sea wall as soon as you can.  In the Blue and Grey the men that secured the objectives were all broken.  It was like herding cats by the end - none of them wanted to do what I asked. 

I imagine that was pretty much like that - every one exhausted and spent at the end.

Many don't know this, but there are actually two beach landings in Blue and Grey.

The first one is impossible to win, as far as I know. But if you just cease fire, you lose, and then you continue to the second beach landing. Which is hellishly difficult, due to machinegun changes, but it is winnable.

And to continue with Childress.. Hmm interesting observation that BFC never released an official scenario from their front.. Though... The landings are a 'big' story of the Normandy, especially D Day. It would be nice to see some love directed here. Luckily a few talented modders do please us.

Many don't know this, but there are actually two beach landings in Blue and Grey.

The first one is impossible to win, as far as I know.

Not impossible just hard. I won that one. If was hard watching your men litter the beaches and very difficult for keeping them moving forward. It is winnable.

If you absolutely must, to help with IanL's advice, you probably want to be abusing the "Evade" command that will get cowering troops up and moving.

What a brilliant idea! Yeah that would help keep things going.

@Borg, the evade command is the one that lets your men ignore being pinned and move and. It allays creates a move order back towards safety but with movable way points you could redirect it forward.

I should expand a little. My method was to keep moving towards the sea wall at all costs. Except my heavy weapons. They found any crater they could and set up. I use them and the tanks to try to lift the suppression on my men by targeting where the fire was coming from. It was brutal especially when the mortar fire started landing in the heavy weapons teams.

Once I started loosing tanks I changed to moving them forward at all costs too. Once you again at the sea wall you can create local fire superiority and force yourself over for top. I did if with two groups one on each size of the valley. The group on my right were in better shape and had a tank that could not climb the ridge so as the men cleared the trenches along the top the tank moved along the beach. And men from both sides were able for attack the fortifications in the valley from both sides. The AI surrendered as I was making my push in land.

And to continue with Childress.. Hmm interesting observation that BFC never released an official scenario from their front.. Though... The landings are a 'big' story of the Normandy, especially D Day.

The point was that one suspects Battlefront anticipated that most players find these grinding battles 'unfun'. Even Omaha Beach possessed a decided 'shooting ducks in a barrel' aspect. Dieppe was worse.

Unfun ? Ahh - This makes me remember -

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother;

You're referencing Shakepeare's Henry V, Borg. Inspiring material but be careful with this elitist stuff. Don't you want to be perceived as a Regular Guy? Someone we can knock off beers with? Like sburke, for example.

Edited by Childress

Ok. Perhaps I did go off topic with lord Lovett :)

And the thread is about beaches after all. Speaking of beaches, and watching my pixeltrüppen running like hell - anyone noticed - they run rather 'funny' / the sure walk much better as a visual. Anything down that road would entail engine change ?