Opinion on Thread locking

Sometimes discussions can escalate into flame wars or are clearly counter productive. At that point the best thing for everyone is to bring that particular thread to a halt. If, on the other hand the discussion is kept civilized and productive the administrator does not need to take action. There are certain expected standards of conduct we signed up to and w are expected to act accordingly. 

Sometimes discussions can escalate into flame wars or are clearly counter productive. At that point the best thing for everyone is to bring that particular thread to a halt. If, on the other hand the discussion is kept civilized and productive the administrator does not need to take action. There are certain expected standards of conduct we signed up to and w are expected to act accordingly. 

taking sides and then closing it, is kinda different thing

taking sides and then closing it, is kinda different thing

It is not about taking sides. It is more about acting as referee. Sometimes a debate might be over-heating and individuals getting hot under the collar. The administrators usually try other approaches first. In my experience they are not unreasonable people. But there are instances where it is best to shut the thread down. Would you consider tht an unreasonable step. What would your approach be if you were the administrator given conditions like this?

It is not about taking sides. It is more about acting as referee. Sometimes a debate might be over-heating and individuals getting hot under the collar. The administrators usually try other approaches first. In my experience they are not unreasonable people. But there are instances where it is best to shut the thread down. Would you consider tht an unreasonable step. What would your approach be if you were the administrator given conditions like this?

i wouldnt take sides and close it, or should i say, i wouldnt pick one side and contribute my arguments in that direction,and then close it

i 'd just close it or leave it be. more blood to the forum at least if its open

Edited by Lacroix

i wouldnt take sides and close it, or should i say, i wouldnt pick one side and contribute my arguments in that direction,and then close it

i 'd just close it or leave it be. more blood to the forum at least if its open

So, if a thread is getting out of hand, turning into a flame war with little chance of a productive resolution your decision would be to close it down? 

Remember some threads regarding modern conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine can be very politically charged. On this site we are allowed to have such discussions relevant to Black Sea and Shock Force but these rights are conditional on way participants communicate. The alternative would be to ban such debates altogether - which is what happens on some other sites. If the administrator thinks the discussion is getting over heated he locks thee thread. I personally might not always like or agree with that decision in a particular case but I do recognize that the decision to lock was a reasonable one  in the vast majority of cases.

When we've determined that a thread no longer has a chance of being productive and is just going to be an eternal flame war*, we lock it. At that point, keeping it open has no benefit for us or the community. The policy is as simple as that. The alternative is to let it continue to fester to the point where people start getting suspended or banned, something which happens only rarely here.

* "Flame War" is probably too extreme a term in most cases, since the arguments in this forum rarely get so extreme as ones in many other internet forums.

Hey, it' s a bit off-topic, but who' s responsible at BFC for unlocked files uploaded to the Repository? I uploaded a CMSF scenario almostg a week ago (5 days) and it' s still barred.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=3593

I and others put a lot of work into it and now it would be great if people could download it as long as there still is someone interested in playing CMSF. I know you guys have lots of other things to do as well, but you will certainly understand why a 5+ day waiting period decreases the attractivity of the Repository as a file host.

Please unlock it soon.

Edited by agusto

Hey, it' s a bit off-topic, but who' s responsible at BFC for unlocked files uploaded to the Repository? I uploaded a CMSF scenario almostg a week ago (5 days) and it' s still barred.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=3593

Please unlock it soon. I and others put a lot of work into it and now it would be great if people could download it as long as there still is someone interested in playing CMSF.

I sent a reminder to Steve.

We've been running this one for 17 years and had a couple million posts. We're pretty comfortable and satisfied that we have a good handle on how this one should be run. You can run your own forums how you want to.

As for picking sides, to use the referee metaphor, sometimes it's necessary and sometimes it isn't. When I see a clear case of one side violating the rules of this Forum, you bet I'm going to take sides. Not doing so is stupid.

Taking sides establishes why certain behavior is not acceptable and/or productive. It holds the people who act in that way accountable for their actions. Not doing holding such people accountable sends a signal that unacceptable/unproductive behavior is fine to engage in. And yes, sometimes people disagree with a judgement, just as sometimes people disagree with a referee's call on the field. That's acceptable and it goes with the territory.

I find it rather humorous that the people complaining about being censored and treated poorly don't see the irony in the fact that they are allowed to complain on this Forum (such as this thread) without being censored or treated poorly. A clear case of the facts not supporting the charges.

Steve

We've been running this one for 17 years and had a couple million posts. We're pretty comfortable and satisfied that we have a good handle on how this one should be run. You can run your own forums how you want to.

As for picking sides, to use the referee metaphor, sometimes it's necessary and sometimes it isn't. When I see a clear case of one side violating the rules of this Forum, you bet I'm going to take sides. Not doing so is stupid.

Taking sides establishes why certain behavior is not acceptable and/or productive. It holds the people who act in that way accountable for their actions. Not doing holding such people accountable sends a signal that unacceptable/unproductive behavior is fine to engage in. And yes, sometimes people disagree with a judgement, just as sometimes people disagree with a referee's call on the field. That's acceptable and it goes with the territory.

I find it rather humorous that the people complaining about being censored and treated poorly don't see the irony in the fact that they are allowed to complain on this Forum (such as this thread) without being censored or treated poorly. A clear case of the facts not supporting the charges.

Steve

fair enough, i might not agree with everything you said but  i ll refrain from debating anything of this nature in the future,its just too draining and leads nowhere

fair enough, i might not agree with everything you said but  i ll refrain from debating anything of this nature in the future,its just too draining and leads nowhere

I wise assessment. We've heard this all before, more times than I can possibly count. We moderate with a light, but firmly guided hand. Which most people appreciate since the alternative forums tend to be ugly places to visit. For all the activity here there are few threads locked and only a few people banned. I'd say I've probably banned less than 75 non-SPAMer individuals in 17 years. That is less than one quarter of one percent of all the people registered on this Forum. A forum moderated by a Fascist type attitude would not have such a track record.

Steve