ALLIED HQ/AAR CMPzC Operation Nyakleves

FOREST BATTLE (0612)

SITREP

As soon as we entered a designated sector we found ourselves under accurate fire from hidden on the edge of the forest enemy assault guns. After a few minutes of the unequal struggle half of our tanks were on fire. We were able to recognize 4 StuG's, one of which we managed to destroy. 

Our tankers had big problems with tracking down enemy vehicles themselves being perfectly visible on the exposed area...

Just got back from a weekend away at a farm property with some friends.

Snols, I see your situation is a difficult one, and your forces are in an awkward starting position.

I'm confused about why they are stranded out on the plains.

The movement during the operation phase involved an assault in the woods, but it's as if you've started out in the open.

To my knowledge, the T-34's have already paid a price moving through this open ground during the operational movement,

and were now entering the forest hex, which is behind (south) of the stream.

The reason I sent the T-34's into this assault was because I believed they would stand a chance against equal numbers

of German assault guns, while fighting in close quarters in the woods. Instead, they seem to be out in the plains, and much further

west than I pictured, which of course is not a great position to be in versus German guns, unless the Russians have numerical superiority.

Kohlenklau, can you have a look at the situation and help clarify what is happening?

To clarify.

The defensive fire at PzC op level is NOT a representation of passing through the border between the hexes. It will occur even if you did not assault.

The method to cut out the PBEM CM battle map and establish set up zones is done by me and in the rules I warn that the battle can start in LOS. I purchased one burning T-34/76 to be the tank lost by PzC ADF and put it out there as a subtle warning!

Did any artillery land before the T-34's charged in?

Maybe cancel the assault and reverse and exit off to await forces that could come at the axis simultaneously from another direction?

Righto. I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to being a total novice to the operational game and the transition between what we see on the hex map and what we see on the CM map.

In the image below you can see the entire battlefield, with the forest hex superimposed. So, this is where I thought the battle would be fought.

As it is, our forces start out on the plains, and as chance would have it, directly under fire from the enemy assault guns.

Snols, given the situation, there seems to be 3 options:

- Retreat, while possibly losing more tanks.

- Continue the attack.

- Hold, and possibly get overwhelmed during the German move.

I'll leave the decision to you as field commander. You do have permission to continue the attack if you think there's a chance of taking down some of the assault guns. What do you think?

Forest%20overview.jpg

Edited by Concord

I don't think you should allow CM battles where all the attackers deployment zone is exposed, you will only piss people off doing it that way.

In open terrain, the attackers deployment zone should be a touch lower to avoid this sort of thing, even if it's just a 50 - 100m strip at the edge of the DZ.

Edited by noob

I think that not all setup zone was visible by the opponent. Terrain has varied height and if I set up my forecs differently first minutes of battle would not have been so dramatic. A hard lesson for future. 

Nobody said it was all exposed.

Ok, I just assumed that when the allied player said he was stranded out in the plains, my apologies.

You are correct in stating that the assaulting units cannot assume they have moved across their hex to the boundary with the enemy hex, this has to be done in CM.

Yeah Rokko, will do. Only thing is it's still a work in progress.

I made enough to do the town battle and the forest for this turn, and I'm working on the rest currently.

I read somewhere that Scenario Depot 3 has newly arrived? I could upload it to the BF website too once completed.

If you need more maps and don't need them by tomorrow (or by the end of this week for that matter) and have some overlays ready you could send them to me. I find making maps without the hassle with AI plans and OOBs etc. very relaxing.

Edited by Rokko