Duelling Sashkas as Ukrainians

agusto

Has anyone of you played this scenario as Ukrainians? I find it to be insanely brutal* - it' s extremely rare that i struggle playing vs. the AI, but currently i am about half way through and numerically the odds are 1:1, i killed lots of Russians and they blew up lots of my guys. Shtora is is one of the reasons i find this scenario so difficult - it renders the UKR infantrys ATGMs practically useless and at long ranges, the UKR tanks are using their ATGMs as well, which makes killing the T90s extremely hard, at least for me.

If this was a real battle and if i was the real life Ukrainian commander, i would avoid a fight with a russian force that large, i would retreat upon spotting the company of T90s and come back with a force twice as big, some air support and a ton of arty, but that' s not an option in CMBS.

Any tips? How did you approach Duelling Sashkas?

*That' s supposed compliment to the scneario designer, btw, i like scenarios that are a fight to the last man.

Another question on top of that. Do the ai of the tank switch to sabot when.they see theirr.missile being intercepted or they lunch them until death or if you are lucky, until they dont have any more atgm. Also for a tips, i had some succes by dashing my oplot to the midle right of the map near the swamp (at least i think its a swamp ) where i had some lucky engagements against the enemy armors and ifv.

I managed to get a minor victory. It was extremely bloody, but in the end i could hold the village in the center. Probably i made some tactical mistakes, but it IS a difficult scenario. I will try it again, but this time as Russians.

• 4 months later...

I got AI surrender playing both sides. 

The Russians clearly have some advantage which consists in the following:

(1) Veteran tank crews vs Regular one 

(2) slightly more advantageous terrain for tank overwatch

(3) the propensity of Oplots to fire first AT missiles instead of the gun. Which makes no sense because of the lower hit probability of the missiles compared to gunshots (high accuracy) and the relatively close distance, which does not justify use of AT missiles (*)

For me the basic advantage of the human player vs the AI (irrespective of side) is that one can place its tanks on overwatch and hold back the advance of the AFVs and the troops, until all or most enemy tanks have been neutralized. 

(*): Actually I cannot understand the doctrine behind having the tanks firing missiles when they have available a high caliber gun which can kill enemy tanks easily. I understand the AT missiles on the AFVs but not for the tanks.

Edited by Euri

(*): Actually I cannot understand the doctrine behind having the tanks firing missiles when they have available a high caliber gun which can kill enemy tanks easily. I understand the AT missiles on the AFVs but not for the tanks.

I've had a tank company commander (a captain no less) fire a HEAT round twice to a front of an Oplot at around 300m while having more than one KE round available. Sometimes TacAI wants to go full retard.