Today is my lucky day :D

agusto

I have a small 1 man business where i offer diverse IT services for my customers, and occasionally i build custom machines to the specifications of my customers. Like 4 months ago, i built a PC for a customer with a very large wallet: the budget was 3500€ (~4000$) and i built him a true 1337 machine, using only the best components available on the market. He was so happy with his new PC that he gave me his "old one" as a gift. When he brought me his "old" PC, i only took a quick look inside and i saw some dust, 4 physically small RAM chips, a tiny CPU fan and a graphics card of which i couldnt determine the model because it had its panel ripped off. I thought what i got was the usual used PC: 7 years old, Win XP, 4 x 1GB DDR RAM, Intel Pentium 2, and a GeForce 7000 series graphics card or something like that.

Today i was looking through my stockpile of used PCs because i needed some spare parts, and i took a closer look at the PC i got as a gift 4 months ago. It turned out it' s much better than i thought: 4 x 4 = 16 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM chips, a 3,5 GHz I-7 2700K with 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores (8 cores in total), a 750 watt PSU and a GeForce GTX 580. That' s some really good stuff actually. Togather with the mainboard and the tower that' s gaming grade hardware probably worth about 1300€  (1500$) :D. I would have never bought such expensive components for myself, but i think i will probably add an SSD + a new CPU cooler to the package and use it as my new gaming PC :D. I am really happy right now, my business isnt going particularily well and i hadnt planned on getting a new PC anytime soon :D.

Edited by agusto

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, can anyone of you recommend me any good games? I want something that really makes use of all the calculating power i now have at home. Currently i mostly play CM and 2D Hex/Counter wargames and they dont make my PC sweat even a little bit. How is GTA V? Is it worth getting it? And ArmA3? Are there any good shooters/wargames/flight sims with good graphics you could recommend me? I want something that really makes me feel the technological development of the past couple of years.

I have a small 1 man business where i offer diverse IT services for my customers, and occasionally i build custom machines to the specifications of my customers. Like 4 months ago, i built a PC for a customer with a very large wallet: the budget was 3500€ (~4000$) and i built him a true 1337 machine, using only the best components available on the market. He was so happy with his new PC that he gave me his "old one" as a gift. When he brought me his "old" PC, i only took a quick look inside and i saw some dust, 4 physically small RAM chips, a tiny CPU fan and a graphics card of which i couldnt determine the model because it had its panel ripped off. I thought what i got was the usual used PC: 7 years old, Win XP, 4 x 1GB DDR RAM, Intel Pentium 2, and a GeForce 7000 series graphics card or something like that.

Today i was looking through my stockpile of used PCs because i needed some spare parts, and i took a closer look at the PC i got as a gift 4 months ago. It turned out it' s much better than i thought: 4 x 4 = 16 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM chips, a 3,5 GHz I-7 2700K with 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores (8 cores in total), a 750 watt PSU and a GeForce GTX 580. That' s some really good stuff actually. Togather with the mainboard and the tower that' s gaming grade hardware probably worth about 1300€  (1500$) :D. I would have never bought such expensive components for myself, but i think i will probably add an SSD + a new CPU cooler to the package and use it as my new gaming PC :D. I am really happy right now, my business isnt going particularily well and i hadnt planned on getting a new PC anytime soon :D.

Sorry but no one in his right mind would spent 3500€ for a desktop pc (+ the money for you to build it).

"using only the best components available"...you mean all the greatly overpriced stuff nobody actually need ?

I actually doubt his new pc will be that much better then the old one...

He could have just updated his old one for 500€ and would have a killer pc.

What did he say, what will he do with his pc...casual pc stuff and gaming ?

Did you recommend him to spent less money initially but he refused ?

Sounds like you had a hard time spending all 3500€ on just one desktop pc, you could have build 3 killer high-end machines with that money...

Edited by Wiggum15

I actually doubt his new pc will be that much better then the old one...

His new PC is significantly better than his old one in every possible way, he just will have a hard time finding applications that actually need that much calculating power.

Sorry but no one in his right mind would spent 3500€ for a desktop pc (+ the money for you to build it).

"using only the best components available"...you mean all the greatly overpriced stuff nobody actually need ?

Stupid comment, there are numerous applications that require high end hardware that goes way beyond that of the average gaming PC. Think of servers, animated 3D art, brute force attacks, etc...

He could have just updated his old one for 500€ and would have a killer pc.

What did he say, what will he do with his pc...casual pc stuff and gaming ?

Yeah, i told him that this is not necessarily going to be cost-effective in terms of performace per euro...but he wanted it anyways! He' s the customer, it' s his money, i had fun building it, no problem.

Sounds like you had a hard time spending all 3500€ on just one desktop pc...

Absolutely not!

...you could have build 3 killer high-end machines with that money...

Depends on what you call high end. I mean, the term "killer high end machine" is already that inaccurate and badly defined, there is really no point in argueing a "killer high end machine" and what' s not. But you could have definately built some above average gaming PCs that run contemporrary games at maxed out settings with reasonable FPS.

Anyways, i dont want your destructive comments in my thread. If you have a bad mood take it somewhere else.

Forget it. Judging by what i have read from you in other threads, i think that your intent is most likely to look up the hardware i bought and then tell me that i either bought it for a bad price or that it' s not good or whatever. And even if you wouldnt find anything, you would probably just make something up. I wont support you trying to piss me off.

And even if the next thing you tell me is that i misjudge you, that' s your problem, i neither trust you nor do i like you, bad luck.

Hey, can anyone of you recommend me any good games? I want something that really makes use of all the calculating power i now have at home. Currently i mostly play CM and 2D Hex/Counter wargames and they dont make my PC sweat even a little bit. How is GTA V? Is it worth getting it? And ArmA3? Are there any good shooters/wargames/flight sims with good graphics you could recommend me? I want something that really makes me feel the technological development of the past couple of years.

Probably not what you're really asking for but I'll mention that in discussion with tech support for Europa Universalis IV I discovered that the game uses the GPU for additional processing that does not include graphics. With such a nice system it might be interesting to see just how fast the game runs on top speed. If you've never played the game never mind, but if you have, then my frame of reference is that at top speed I can get 4-5 days per second, depending how late in the game I am. 

Oh, and congratulations on your good fortune!

Edited by Bud_B

Forget it. Judging by what i have read from you in other threads, i think that your intent is most likely to look up the hardware i bought and then tell me that i either bought it for a bad price or that it' s not good or whatever. And even if you wouldnt find anything, you would probably just make something up. I wont support you trying to piss me off.

And even if the next thing you tell me is that i misjudge you, that' s your problem, i neither trust you nor do i like you, bad luck.

Dude why are you so aggressive toward me ?

This is a discussion board and if you start a thread boasting about the 3500€ PC you build for someone then expect questions regarding the sense behind this and the hardware used.

Oh wait, i forgot...this is the sunshine happiness feel-good  place where no one ask any critical questions...sorry.

Edited by Wiggum15

Your dad wouldn't happen to be Officer Wiggum, would it?

Ralph, is that you?

What kind of question is that ?

Sorry, why are you all so aggressive or abusive towards me and/or vote my posts down + put me on ignore list ?

What did i do you `?

Nothing !

What kind of question is that ?

Sorry, why are you all so aggressive or abusive towards me and/or vote my posts down + put me on ignore list ?

What did i do you `?

Nothing !

ROFL! Dude, stop playing that charade. You know very well why people are responding to you like they are. 

Oh my god...this thread was about me unexpectedly having something very nice happen to me and look at the direction were going again. Cant we just stop it right now, please?

Probably not what you're really asking for but I'll mention that in discussion with tech support for Europa Universalis IV I discovered that the game uses the GPU for additional processing that does not include graphics. With such a nice system it might be interesting to see just how fast the game runs on top speed. If you've never played the game never mind, but if you have, then my frame of reference is that at top speed I can get 4-5 days per second, depending how late in the game I am. 

EU has never been the kind of game i am in too. But thank you for reminding me that there are other interesting periods in histroy than WW2 and modern - i had totally forgotten that Atilla: Total War was recently released and i am big fan of the Total War series, so probably i am gonna give it a try. What else could i play? My budgets' s about 100€, and with Atilla costing 39,99€ on Steam, i still have money left for a second or maybe even a 3rd game. GTA V is tempting, but i still havent finished playing GTA IV. Homeworld Remastered (a 2015 remake of the 2003 classic Homeworld 2) is also definately a candidate, i have been waiting for this game for a couple of years, and it costs only 31,99€ on Steam, so there would be still 28,02€ left. Hmmm...any ideas on what i could spend those?

Oh, and congratulations on your good fortune!

Thanks! And thanks to the others who had kind words too! I totally forgot about that.

Edited by agusto