June 6 2015

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force. Who embarked upon the Great Crusade this day, seventy one years ago. God bless you for your courage, sacrifice and devotion to duty.

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here."

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

Thank you with much respect, from one combat veteran to another,

Christopher

Mech.Gato

Yesterday, June 6th. I watched my son in law jump with the 82nd Airborne at Ft Bragg. Just another training mission but they all knew what day it was. The spirit and courage of young men  who still jump and carry on the paratroopers creed made me proud. Thanks for the post. I had never heard the message.

mech.gato and Wingman47,

You're most welcome.

Warts 'n' All and delliejonut,

Uncle George, USN, landed administratively on D+1 and got to help clean up the wrecked craft and human remains off Omaha Beach before joining Patton's European tour. If you'd like to know more about why a Navy man was with Patton, please search under Boat Two on the Forums.

Regards,

John Kettler

My father was on a transport on June 6, 1944, heading for Saipan landing on June 15th. That sucked too.

Older brother was in 82nd AB out of jump school in '66. 1st Air Cav drew replacements after Ia Drang from airborne formations, he was with them in the Central Highlands '66-'67, then in 101st AB back in the States, where they sent his unit to Detroit during the riots!

God bless them all!

Me, I'm just a schmuck playing at war.