Combat Mission opengl/directx?

Guest cybuss

Guest cybuss

Hello i have a simple question. does combat mission use opengl for only mac or does it use opengl for windows as well? Or does it use directx with a wrapper for mac?

Guest cybuss

as far as I know uses OpenGL for Windows.

Thanks for your reply. if it uses opengl then im happy. opengl works on all platforms we could some day see it ported to stuff like android steam os.

can i get more confirmation that it uses opengl?

Thanks for your reply. if it uses opengl then im happy. opengl works on all platforms we could some day see it ported to stuff like android steam os.

can i get more confirmation that it uses opengl?

It does use OpenGL. Also, don't mention steam on here Cybuss, otherwise you will risk the wrath of the admins.

Edited by Stagler

<_< not sure what his asking about opengl has to do with steam other than you taking just one more opportunity to beat a dead horse.  The "wrath of the admins" is usually reserved for those who just don't want to accept BF's right to decide how they want to market and support THEIR game.

OpenGL is used. It is an OPEN standard, so it is free. It SHOULD be supported by all gpu manufacturers, and is, to one degree or another. As of AMD's 15.3 driver (just released) it seems that Nvidia's drivers are still better for rendering OpenGL calls in an appropriate manner. (Meaning, some AMD drivers result in graphic corruption. Plenty of threads on that. Eartly 14 series AMD drivers still work. (I think. At least, they do on my AMD machine.))

DX has a licensing fee for each use. I think it's on the order of $50,000. Counting games and modules, starting with CMSF, I come up with financial burden of about $400,000, thus far. (My fee may be WAY off. I read that number years ago.) I don't know what BFC's profit margin is, but I'm willing to bet 400k would wipe out a good portion of it.

There is a rumor/push/development of OpenGLNext, which takes some of AMD's Mantle api and utilizes it's better architecture. (DX12 incorporates a lot of the design elements of Mantle, leading to the rumor that AMD produced it, and pushed it, to force DX12 to incorporate it.)

I have no idea what BFC is planning in the future.

Ken

Just checked. Xbox runs on DirectX. So basically Microsoft platforms.

You sure, swear FarCry 4 runs DX11 and is on PS4 also. Maybe not MAC like, but MAC is not a gaming system at the end of the day.

PS4 does not use DirectX. It has a custom API called GNM.

Edited because I forgot some basics.

Soooo....other than cross platform compatibility (I'm looking at you, Mac users) there is no reason to favor OpenGL over DirectX?

(The no fee is news to me. Thanks for straightening me out.)

Edited by c3k

I hope against hope that they'll release on Linux one day - OpenGL on Mac is probably even more awkward than Linux -  I only boot into Windows for my photography tools and CMBS these days. 

Edited by Sulman

Guest cybuss

<_< not sure what his asking about opengl has to do with steam other than you taking just one more opportunity to beat a dead horse.  The "wrath of the admins" is usually reserved for those who just don't want to accept BF's right to decide how they want to market and support THEIR game.

Not steam program. Steam operating system as in Linux.

Guest cybuss

I hope against hope that they'll release on Linux one day - OpenGL on Mac is probably even more awkward than Linux -  I only boot into Windows for my photography tools and CMBS these days. 

If it uses OPENGL then 90% of the work is done. some big games are actually ported to linux by a single person. a few people who know how to operate linux could probably easily port this game in a few days i bet

There is a rumor/push/development of OpenGLNext, which takes some of AMD's Mantle api and utilizes it's better architecture. (DX12 incorporates a lot of the design elements of Mantle, leading to the rumor that AMD produced it, and pushed it, to force DX12 to incorporate it.)

Actually, this is not a rumor - it was officially anounced at GDC earlier this month, under the name of "Vulkan".