CMPzC Allied AAR: Assault on Hex (1,7)

MIN 25-23

Sgt Jameson was sweating bullets as the turret traversed left. "Come on....come on..."   And suddenly, there he was: a lone sniper hiding in the undergrowth, and he had just used his last grenade to immobilise the Sherman. The sound of the turret MG with its beautiful tracer trails was a massive relief. The rounds smacked into the prone sniper. Game over: Jameson and his crew had survived another brush with death.  He looked over his rear shoulder and noticed a scout team coming alongside to give his crew some much needed protection.  "All right guys....time to get out the wrenches and get this tread fixed."

Lt Kuderian's gunner adjusted the 75mm, just a little, to engage the other 20mm AA gun in depth.  The high explosive round impacted just where he wanted it, and the 3rd and hopefully final AA gun was destroyed. "Guinness on me O'Reilly!  That was some fine shooting. Well done."

Capt Chappy just received the news that the pioneer section occupying the enemy trench, had come under mortar fire, and that the section leader, Cpl Nathan, had been killed.  Chappy had known Nathan well, as they had grown up in the same town. "Bloody hell."  A handful of the company had become casualties this day and that was unfortunately inevitable. The Germans had been fighting a skillful withdrawal since Normandy, and today was no exception.  Obstacles, minefields, kill zones - these were all used by the Germans with much skill. Task Force Chappy had the firepower advantage on this day for sure, but there were always casualties.  On a positive note, he just noticed two bren gun carriers and their scouts off to the far left, crashing across the road and engaging the 81mm mortar in the trench beyond.  That should take care of that bloody mortar.

81mm%20mortar%20trench_zpsa5rmzom0.png

When does the bloody sun come up?   Lt Jeremy had lost Jameson's tank for the time being, but at least everyone was safe. And now it was time for the proverbial cavalry charge across the main road and engage the enemy from his rear.  Sgt Hennessey's tank was was the first one to smash through both fences and cross the main road into the field on the other side.  He watched as Hennessey's turret traversed to the right rear, while on the fly, and with one well placed round, a German 3-man HQ was eliminated.  "Yes!  Take that Huns!"

German%20HQ%20eliminated_zpsxmnshdmj.png

Chappy's entire flanking force had almost reached the main road (and some had actually bounced across it). Already the tanks were acting as the new firebase, engaging targets in depth and in the village.  That original German trench near the main road was still not captured, but those AA guns were now gone, and the HMG that was firing on the assaulting platoon was being engaged by a tank. It was time for Lt MacDougal to carry on with the assault and secure that trench. Chappy looked to his right: the firebase platoon was engaging some enemy in the houses while the two firebase tanks were moving into position.  (Below:  note the German from an HQ team getting blown backwards by MG fire)

German%20HQ%20shot_zpshimwkvts.png

Commanders note:   These last two minutes were crucial to Allied success.  3 x AA guns were eliminated, an HQ team destroyed, and the 81mm mortar is virtually toast.  And luck was on my side as the immobilised tank survived that close assault.  Except for some of my slow foot slogging infantry, I have gained my objectives along the main road (and punched through) and now my flanking force becomes the firebase force.  They are engaging targets in depth and enemy in and around the houses.  The final phase of this assault is about to begin, with my original firebase force becoming the new assault force.  They have one platoon, 2 x tanks, sniper team and are being supported by the mortars (both mortars have fire missions in progress on/near the village. I am concerned about the wire obstacles virtually surrounding the village, but there are gaps.  And my tanks will make holes if they have to.

MIN 23-21

Lt MacDougal watched his lead section assault across the main road into the enemy trench.  There was no sounds of gunfire or grenade blasts when they entered the trench. 

"All clear! Just a bunch of dead Germans!" 

So the mortars and the firebase had done their job well.  It was always a good sign when an attack occurs on the dead and dying.

trench%20capture_zpsqlsgaw7j.png

Lt Mackintosh was 3 Platoon Commander, and it was he and his men who had been trying to keep up with those damn tanks for the last half hour. His men were wet from crossing the ford and they were tired from chasing the metal monsters. However, they were now at their objective: the main road. It was his mission to secure the road as well as provide covering fire for the attack on the village.  He ordered a section to cross the road and check the tall grass field on the other side.  As his men were moving slowly across the road, three small groups of Germans were exposed and began to shoot at various targets.  Mackintosh noticed Jeremy's tank engage one small group of Germans...some died...some ran...and some surrendered.  His men saw the new threats and also began to return fire.  How many more Germans were hiding in this damn tall grass?

surrender_zpslcydh2qy.png

Sgt Hennessey was still shaking, yet relieved, about destroying that German HQ. However, Jeremy wanted his and MacAlister's tank to push on - there were sounds of mortar fire straight ahead and they needed to be dealt with immediately.  His tank pushed on at average speed towards the next road running perpendicular to his front. This road was also slightly elevated, providing dead ground behind it.  As his tank and MacAlister's crested the road, the two small mortar teams were exposed.  The MGs opened fire, ripping into those mortar crews.  Payback for what they did to Cpl Nathan.

killing%20mortars_zpsued1ns0e.png

As the tanks pounded the village with their main guns, Capt Chappy was wondering just how much more the Germans could take this kind of punishment?

Edited by ChappyCanuck

MIN 21-18

Capt Chappy moved his HG group to the main road.  With his binoculars, he scanned the battlefield from left to right.  On the far left, the assault pioneers had just succeeded in clearing the depth trench - the left flank is secure!

capture%20trench_zpsea8bq7yr.png

To his immediate front, MacDougal's and MacIntosh's platoons were slowly creeping forward through the tall grass, looking for hidden Germans. They had already caught or killed several small groups of Germans.  To his far front, Chappy noticed the cut off force of two tanks and a bren carrier. They were there to make sure no Germans escaped from the village.  Presently those tanks were hosing the trenches down where the two AA guns used to be - they had already killed an HMG team there.

tanks%20on%20trench_zpslphm64bu.png

Finally, Chappy scanned over to the right side where number 2 Platoon, led by Lt McNatt, was advancing on the village with two Shermans providing support fire.  He watched as a corner house came crashing down, the victim of a barrage of 75mm shells. It was key to knock that house down because the house was a link between several wire obstacles. McNatt would now have another option to penetrate the village. 2 Platoon soldiers were just now assaulting to the stone wall at the edge of the village.

village_zpst2juvnwx.png

Chappy looked at his watch.  He still had 18 minutes left to achieve his mission before Sunray would be on his a$$.  If things kept progressing as they had been, he believed the mission would be achievable in the allotted time.

Commander's note:  Below is an overhead shot of the battlefield with the icons. Hopefully that makes things a little more clear when you are trying to imagine where exactly things are. 

overview_zpsrlue5jah.png

Wow, quite a dash in with the armor to take out the trench network.  They've been quite successful, but I'm not sure I would have rushed them in so quickly.

On the other hand, you've probably reduced significantly the number of letters you will have to write to pixeltruppen families after the battle.  :)

Heinrich505

Wow, quite a dash in with the armor to take out the trench network.  They've been quite successful, but I'm not sure I would have rushed them in so quickly.

On the other hand, you've probably reduced significantly the number of letters you will have to write to pixeltruppen families after the battle.  :)

Heinrich505

Normally I wouldn't have rushed like that, but if he had a tank or AT gun he would have used it by now. I am careful to stay at least 30 meters away from infantry with their pesky panzerfausts. That leaves any pschrecks that he may have, and I am careful to fire at places he may be hiding any...but you never know :)

MIN 17

Capt Chappy watched as his forces pounded the village, the infantry entering the first building.  And that is when the white flags began to appear.

Thank God that one is over with...for now anyway...and I'm sure the next one is right around the corner.

The surrender has been accepted and the campaign will move on to the next step.  I hope everyone enjoyed the battle as much as I did. These are great fun. 

Thanks to Kohlenklau for creating/managing this campaign, and to mjkerner for being my skilled opponent!

ChappyCanuck out.

I decided to add some final thoughts about the battle, both problems and successes. 

It was a lopsided battle for sure, but campaigns can be like that, just like in real life.  And that is what makes them interesting!  Perhaps next battle with mjkerner I will be the underdog and he can get some payback :)

My biggest problems in this battle were:

1.  indirect fire - only once did I see a spotting round during the whole battle and therefore had only one fire mission (on that v-shaped trench near the main road). The terrain is mostly flat with no real elevation - just enough elevation along the roads to block LOS from field to field. Add to that the many trees lining the roads and the tall grasses and well...what spotting round? lol

2.  slow infantry - still a beef of mine is no tank riders in the west....normally I would have had the infantry ride the tanks to the ford and dismount there. The Canadian Army fought from Sicily to the Netherlands, riding tanks constantly to battle, into battle, and during pursuit ops...and they weren't the only nation to do so.  It's really difficult to keep up with the tanks. My infantry took a LONG time getting there, and when they did they were wet and tired.

3. finding a ford location - this was very deceptive. It looked like you could ford almost anywhere, but if you ran the cursor near the ford banks for this terrain, the cursor turns into a "no go" one for vehicles about 95% of the river's length. My tankers looked like they were drunk sometimes, spinning around aimlessly because they couldn't cross.  That was my first lesson with fords! 

But, it all worked out well in the end.  My successes were:

1. scouts - they identified some key enemy positions ahead of the main flanking assault, and so I was able to bring massive firepower to bear and make my life easier

2. long left flanking - I knew this was going to be a long and time consuming hike around, but it worked. I was able to spread out my tanks with lots of manoeuvre room, and together with the infantry I was able to keep the enemy flanked and on their toes

3.  tanks, tanks, tanks

Thanks for watching!

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the battle.  (The AAR on your DAR :) )  You provide some interesting details on your perspective of the fight. 

My biggest problems in this battle were:

1.  indirect fire - <snip> had only one fire mission (on that v-shaped trench near the main road). The terrain is mostly flat with no real elevation - just enough elevation along the roads to block LOS from field to field. Add to that the many trees lining the roads and the tall grasses and well...what spotting round? lol

2.  slow infantry - still a beef of mine is no tank riders in the west....normally I would have had the infantry ride the tanks to the ford and dismount there.  It's really difficult to keep up with the tanks. My infantry took a LONG time getting there, and when they did they were wet and tired.

3. finding a ford location - this was very deceptive. It looked like you could ford almost anywhere, but if you ran the cursor near the ford banks for this terrain, the cursor turns into a "no go" one for vehicles about 95% of the river's length. My tankers looked like they were drunk sometimes, spinning around aimlessly because they couldn't cross.  That was my first lesson with fords! 

1 and 2.  I wonder if we did have tank riders if a Forward Observer or HQ unit would have been high enough up on the back of a tank to solve the spotting problem from field to field.  TRPs probably would have helped to a certain extent but I assume they were not in your TOE.  

3.  I have found what IanL advised in post #13 reference locating fords is very effective.  Follow his advise and that is one problem you will never have again.

I look forward to the AAR on your next DAR. :)    

3.  I have found what IanL advised in post #13 reference locating fords is very effective.  Follow his advise and that is one problem you will never have again.

Just to clarify my advice only went so far.  It is excellent for finding fords but you have to go one step further and make sure you can actually get to the ford too.  I think this was @Chappy's biggest problem.  There were lots of fording locations but many of them had impassible marsh terrain or heavy forest on either one side of the river or the other.

So, once you have found a ford site check with the move tool to make sure your vehicle can actually make it to the rivers edge - make sure you get no ghost buster symbols when you place your way points to cross.  That includes checking back from the river a bit just to be sure.

Ian speaketh the truth!  At one point, I actually had one tank cross the river but it could not climb the bank! There was a small gap where the cursor turned green - ok - but it wasn't large enough for the tank to fit through.  So I had to re-cross the river and cross again - 3 times. I was lucky there were no immobilisations...just a few temporary bogs

I am hoping once the Bulge game comes out they will retrofit tank riders to CMBN/CMFI when a 4.0 upgrade comes out, but perhaps I don't understand how tank riders work. Does the code have to be applied specifically to each vehicle? If so we may have to wait until the Commonwealth module for the Bulge comes out. 

I am hoping once the Bulge game comes out they will retrofit tank riders to CMBN/CMFI when a 4.0 upgrade comes out, but perhaps I don't understand how tank riders work. Does the code have to be applied specifically to each vehicle? If so we may have to wait until the Commonwealth module for the Bulge comes out. 

AIUI, each model has to have "rider attachment points" added to it. The code to support those attachment points already exists in v3, it's just the models that haven't got the relevant hooks. Since most of the models in Bulge will be based on models already present in BN-plus-modules-and-packs, it doesn't seem like it would be very much work to shuffle those models into an update for BN, to replace the models currently present. I don't think it will need a v4 update. It might need a vehicle pack charge though, to apply the new mechanic to the few vehicles not present in Bulge but presented in BN. O'course, there might be some horrible complication that means it ain't that easy.