Combat Mission Rated In The Top 20 "Best Wargames of All Time"

It's nice to see the series get the credit it deserves.

"Beware! Prolonged exposure to this dual-mode delight (turns are optional), and its siblings Red Thunder and Fortress Italy, may spoil your enjoyment of other, less rigorous WWII wargames. After a month or two of watching CMBfN’s death tractors trade shells, the shorthand that passes for armoured combat elsewhere can seem painfully crude. Battlefront approaches realism the way a bomb disposal engineer approaches a UXB. Weapon capabilities, armour thicknesses, force compositions... if you’re interested in the nitty-gritty of WWII land warfare, the CM titles are the best interactive encyclopedias money can buy. Fortunately, they work rather well as games too. Some fans still miss the randomly generated battlegrounds, bulging unit rosters and unscripted AI of the original trio, but progress in a visuals, spotting rules, infantry and artillery simulation make the shortcomings easy to bear. One day CM will get a strat layer, and grognards the world over will pinch themselves silly." ~ PCgamer 

Read the entire list here:

http://www.pcgamer.com//the-best-wargames-of-all-time/

Am glad CMBN got the kudos it got, but confess myself blown away by the dominance of WW I aerial wargames. Talk about the unexpected outcome! I think, too, it's odd that PE (never played SE, just plain PE) was so talked about in the SF blurb, yet doesn't appear at all. Hadn't heard of most of those games, both because I don't own a PC, therefore don't read the mag, and because CM is more than enough, given my health issues, on my plate as it is. Though I do confess that SWAT thingie demo was fun and that, quite some time back, I had high hopes for that scrapped Napoleonic game BFC once had in dev.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Am glad CMBN got the kudos it got, but confess myself blown away by the dominance of WW I aerial wargames. Talk about the unexpected outcome! I think, too, it's odd that PE (never played SE, just plain PE) was so talked about in the SF blurb, yet doesn't appear at all. Hadn't heard of most of those games, both because I don't own a PC, therefore don't read the mag, and because CM is more than enough, given my health issues, on my plate as it is. Though I do confess that SWAT thingie demo was fun and that, quite some time back, I had high hopes for that scrapped Napoleonic game BFC once had in dev.

Regards,

John Kettler 

It was released- I couldn't get in to it. Scourge of War is working on Waterloo for this year  

Ok, back on  topic. Well deserved to in tope 20, and fully agree. (and with the strat layer comment of the mini review      :D