German HMG bug?

Hey Ian...no I do not, presently. But just pick any CW battle that has Bren/Universal carriers and German HMGs....good luck getting any results.  I have had to "trick" my HMG gunners by firing area fire in front of those carriers , hoping for some stray rounds to hit them, in order for anything to happen. My friend has gotten mixed results when he has tried HMG "light" fire against them.

I also know that German LMG's will engage Halftracks/Brens, but don't remember having the opportunity to use HMG's against them...Yeah, if anything you would think HMG's would engage more so then LMG's...This is disconcerting :-(

I also notice that certain MG mounted AC's wont engage each other...I had a 223 AC vs an Otter and they just ran circles around each other during most of the battle engaging Inf instead. 

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

When I recently fought "The Mace" as the Germans I had trouble with my HMGs. Even with clear LOS and LOF they wouldn't open fire on a Bren Carrier at fairly close range. I tried letting them fire at will, tried "Target" and "Target Brief" without any joy. When I checked their status during each turn it would sometimes show them as "Moving", "Turning" and even "Aiming" once or twice, but would they fire? No way.. grrrrrr. In the end I just gave up.

Thanx for the Test, Vanir as it's good to know...I wonder if this applies to all MG's ( not just the MG42 ) from all Nationalities. It's no wonder I don't see certain MG's fire ( either Inf or Vehicle Mounted ) at certain Light Open-Topped Armored Vehicles.

When playing against the Computer or Opponents, I have a 'House Rule' that the AI chooses Targets on their own ( except when you want to use the 'Area-Fire' order ) as it helps eliminate Opponent Cherry-Picking Targets...Now, I might have to reconsider that 'House Rule' when playing against Opponents ( either that or make certain exceptions ). 

Interesting thou, I do remember in v2.12 that Inf MG42's would fire on their own against U.S. HT's...

Edited by JoMc67

I just tested this. At 300 meters HMG42s and LMG42s will fire at buttoned Bren carriers and M1 halftracks IF you give them a Target order. They do not fire on their own.

I have tried dozens of times to try and target the carriers (with all of the target options) to no avail. Long range, medium and short. HMGs should be shredding those little carriers. They will not engage whatsoever.  My friend Stonecutter is experiencing the same behaviour.  For example, during "Breaking the Panzers" battle, he rolled up to two of my HMGs in bren carriers. My HMGs saw him coming from a long way out and they were not suppressed at all. They watched and watched and then died. Frustrating!

HMGs should be shredding those little carriers.

They actually can't penetrate the Bren carriers at all. At least not from the front or the side at 300 meters. Despite that, the MG42s blaze away at them whenever I give the command. I really don't know why they aren't working in your game.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

They actually can't penetrate the Bren carriers at all. At least not from the front or the side at 300 meters. Despite that, the MG42s blaze away at them whenever I give the command. I really don't know why they aren't working in your game.

I can't figure it out either. And it isn't just that battle. My friend and I have been playing all of the CW battles over the last 8 months and time and again this is an issue. I hope this is investigated by the BF team