Don't know if this holds any weight...

Saferight

didn't this happen like 2-3 weeks ago? I know it happened before release. I personally was rooting for the AEK because the AK12 looks like ass. Just super sayn'

guess i havent been keeping up with my firearm news, and yes AEK is definitely the badder looking of the two.

Even though this news source would have you think otherwise, AK-12 and AEK variants are still in the running. I am honestly not convinced that either one is exponentially better than the other; but they are major lobbying efforts at play to push AK-12...

Probably has something to do with saving Izmash and Kalashnikov Group. I wonder if the sanctions have put a dent into their civilians sales in the west?

Appreciate this information and the vid, but concur with Oakheart on characterization of AK-12. Maybe it's the paint scheme, too, but to me, it looks butt ugly (and the weapon's butt does look ugly, too), elevating the AK-47 to the level of visual art by comparison. I'm not saying the AN-12 (also the name of an Antonov C-130 clone) isn't a tough reliable weapon. To get through State trials it would have to be, but I think soldiers prefer weapons that do their jobs well and look good. If both did well on the weapon end, I'd want the AEK-971, which not only gets the military job done but is scary looking (intimidation's always good) and has clean cool lines as well. And let's face it, if FMS figure in, sex appeal, if you will, is apart of the marketing equation. Aesthetics most definitely do figure in, and I now show this was an issue which concerned catapult designers in ancient Greece.

Philon, circa 250 BCE,  Construction of War Engines

Referring to a new type of catapult called the wedge engine, he has this to say, and it's very much marketing related, as is his prior listing of features and benefits for his innovative and more powerful version of a well-established key weapon:

"Finally, in appearance it is no less imposing than the others..."

Cited in Campbell's Greek and Roman Military Writers: Selected Readings, p184.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Appreciate this information and the vid, but concur with Oakheart on characterization of AK-12. Maybe it's the paint scheme, too, but to me, it looks butt ugly (and the weapon's butt does look ugly, too), elevating the AK-47 to the level of visual art by comparison. I'm not saying the AN-12 (also the name of an Antonov C-130 clone) isn't a tough reliable weapon. To get through State trials it would have to be, but I think soldiers prefer weapons that do their jobs well and look good. If both did well on the weapon end, I'd want the AEK-971, which not only gets the military job done but is scary looking (intimidation's always good) and has clean cool lines as well. And let's face it, if FMS figure in, sex appeal, if you will, is apart of the marketing equation. Aesthetics most definitely do figure in, and I now show this was an issue which concerned catapult designers in ancient Greece.

I don't think it is just esthetics. The AK-12 is cluttered with things sticking out all over the place. Now I haven't handled one, so there might not be the problem I am imagining, but I'd be afraid of something getting hung up on my webbing or some other environmental stuff to get hung up on. The AEK-971 is a much smoother job and less likely to get caught on something or have something knocked off, like a sight.

Michael

Business is pretty good. Embargo or no embargo. Gotta like the new slogan:

Sorta makes sense the gun maker is doing well in a country that's going guns over butter.

Re: AK-12

Russia would be well served just to pick one weapons system per role and stick with it.  They're sort of the king of having three tanks types for one mission, two or three "standard" systems, and a various spread of systems that are in field testing for a decade before ghosting.  Rifles especially, this isn't 1945 with bolt action, semi-auto, and assault rifles are all wandering around the battlefield, or it's a major showdown between 7.62X51 rifles and smaller 7.62X39 or 5.56X45 calibers.  If you dropped AK-74s with sufficient rails/somehow made them NATO compatible onto US troops, you'd see no real change in squad capabilities, and the same would go with M16A4s if they were actually AK-16A4s.

Rifles need to be generally reliable, mostly accurate, and cheap enough to give everyone one.  I would suggest the greater problem in rifles is that the only meaningful advances in rifle design since the late 70's-early 80's has all been accessories.  The reason the M16/M4 endures is simply because nothing out there offers so great an advantage as to be worth replacing every rifle in the US inventory.  I'd suggest the AK-74 is much the same, it's a good gun.  The AN-94, AK-12, and the like all haven't really offered a massive change in capabilities (with neat tricks like the AN-94's two shot burst not really being revolutionary must buy features).  

I'm dubious about the widespread use in the future and massive deals. Russians still have insane amounts of 7.62mm AKMs and 5.45mm AKs in the storages. Multiple times they have men to use them.

In the large scale, I think there's not going to be any significant impact, will the troopers use AK12 or older AK74 generation weapons inthe future. Both are so akin. And wars are won or lost with totally other platforms than basic infantry rifles.

I'm dubious about the widespread use in the future and massive deals. Russians still have insane amounts of 7.62mm AKMs and 5.45mm AKs in the storages. Multiple times they have men to use them.

In the large scale, I think there's not going to be any significant impact, will the troopers use AK12 or older AK74 generation weapons inthe future. Both are so akin. And wars are won or lost with totally other platforms than basic infantry rifles.

• 2 weeks later...

Saferight,

Were Mikhail Kalashnikov still around and were the AN-12 to be adopted, I believe he'd be deeply conflicted: glad to see the firm be able to carry on, but unhappy that the 5.45 was still in his Avtomat. He made it quite clear he considered the 5.45 x 39 mm cartridge to be militarily inferior to the bigger, heavier 7.62 x 39 mm for the AK-47.

Regards,

John Kettler

Were Mikhail Kalashnikov still around and were the AN-12 to be adopted, I believe he'd be deeply conflicted: glad to see the firm be able to carry on, but unhappy that the 5.45 was still in his Avtomat. He made it quite clear he considered the 5.45 x 39 mm cartridge to be militarily inferior to the bigger, heavier 7.62 x 39 mm for the AK-47.

On a similar note, the original designers of the tank came up with the TOG-2.  Being the first one to get it right, does not ensure you will be right in the future.  

... He made it quite clear he considered the 5.45 x 39 mm cartridge to be militarily inferior to the bigger, heavier 7.62 x 39 mm for the AK-47.

My humble opinnion is that 5.45x39mm is propably the best overall compromise among the current military rifle calibers in large scale use. No wonder, because it's also the latest.

Tapered case for positive extraction, low recoil impulse, optimized projectile for penetration with standard ball (7N6M, 7N10), Good BC and flat trajectory, components made of steel instead of brass and lead which is economical, lightweight rounds... Just for starters.

Edited by wee