Back in Syria CMSF times my Red tanks commanders when unbutonned were able to use top roof-mounted 12.7-mm machine gun. Now they just sit there and smile like real Hollywood actors. On www.military-today.com is writtten that the 12.7-mm MG is controlled manually by the vehicle commander. But in the game i have never seen to be used. How is it modelled? Can it fire on helicopters?

It's mounted on a traversable ring, along with the commander's sight and hatch.

The CM engine seems to not allow for traversable rings to traverse, so it has to be set in a some position permanently. Unfortunately, the chosen position is with the machine gun facing backwards, which is correct for when the commander is buttoned but not when he is unbuttoned.

I personally think this is a mistake; that it should be turned around and the commander's sight fudged. I will lobby for it internally but don't hold your breath.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

I have seen commander's cupola rotating independently on the T-64, but after some testing not on the T-72B3... also, the commander's cupola is in the right direction as Vanir said, so I belive that's the best for spotting and commander's visual checks when buttoned, but it's impossible to use the machine gun when unbuttoned.
Tricky.

i didint want start new topic but anyway, im now done 20 test run whit T90 am x5 vs abraham x1 on field. im tjust wonderin is T90 am turret front armor too weak because all shot are goued trought it, not ewen one armor spaling or partial penetration. total shot number is now 100. 

That's normal. At 2000 meters about 91% of Abrams hits on the T-90 front will penetrate. Single ERA blocks never stop the Abrams. Only when the shot happens to hit on the edge of an ERA block and thereby detonate two of them does it deflect.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

distance is ower 3 km and all sou tested other test run 5 km but still same thing. i didint count hits to gun or gun manttel. only thous what hitted to upper turret armor and front turret armor, sou basicly side of gun where armor should be strongest. T90 am using this "relikt" armor if im right ? that should be mutch stronger than "kontakt-5" 

Edited by snarre

The M1A2 SEP V2 in CMBS is slinging M829E4s, which by most estimates represent the cutting edge in KE rounds, and designed to be very ERA resistant from inception.  There's not much tank or tanklike that's going to come out of a hit from such a round intact.  Once you discard the ERA the T-90 series on a whole is not especially well armored anyway.

Relikt would not be ignored, just not fully effective (e.g. instead of a 1.5 multiplier it might only provide a 1.2 multiplier).  I think the sloped to the side parts of the front turret array could probably take a M829E4 hit from 0°, or at least not be guaranteed a penetration.  Of course this area does not represent a huge part of the overall front area, but could be significant in a hull down position. Also not sure how much armor the mantlet on the T-90AM provides over the area with 435mm LOS in the drawing below. Might be worth testing more.

t90aj.jpg

Edited by akd

yep this i meaned because it should be strongest part. i trived short test run then T90 AM vs T84  and if i looked right T84 and abraham using same rounds, only caliber is litlebit difrend. in test T90 AM can eat all day long moust of T84 shots. Sou why there is then sou big difrense in test ? 

Edited by snarre