Russian Campaign Mission 3 [WARNING: SPOILERS!]

agusto

1)

Damn, what an awesome map! Whoever did that, great job.

2)

Has anyone already played this mission? I feel a bit overwhelmned by the size of everything. Currently my plan is to use all my 9 heavy artillery pieces to deploy a smoke screen and have my 2 companies cross the river simultaniously. My tanks and mortars will be surpressing anythign that pops up. You think that is going to work? The problem is you cant really do reconnaissance on the other side of the river without having to cross it. No wonder the scenario designer did not give the player a drone, it would have been too easy if you had one ^_^ .

How did you get across the river? Just drive accross it? A human opponent would totally rip you apart if you tried that, i dont know about the AI.

Edited by agusto

1)

Damn, what an awesome map! Whoever did that, great job.

2)

Has anyone already played this mission? I feel a bit overwhelmned by the size of everything. Currently my plan is to use all my 9 heavy artillery pieces to deploy a smoke screen and have my 2 companies cross the river simultaniously. My tanks and mortars will be surpressing anythign that pops up. You think that is going to work? The problem is you cant really do reconnaissance on the other side of the river without having to cross it. No wonder the scenario designer did not give the player a drone, it would have been too easy if you had one ^_^ .

How did you get across the river? Just drive accross it? A human opponent would totally rip you apart if you tried that, i dont know about the AI.

Hi.
1) Card unambiguously magnificent.

2) I already too reached 3 missions in campaign, but so far it postponed until Friday for the weekend. Game can pour out more than 6 hours of a gameplay. My offer to force the Po River to flanks in the direction "Summer Сottages" and "Voloske", under cover of smokes. From there by forces one or two companies to destroy the opponent ashore. On the coast to expose tanks so that they could find and destroy the opponent. Then to move ahead on obny from flanks, I would offer the right flank as the best option. For performance of a task there is no 3rd company in a battalion, but it will be not so critical I hope.

Привет.
1) Карта однозначно великолепная .

2) Я уже тоже дошёл до 3 миссии в кампании , но пока её отложил до пятницы на выходные . Игра может вылиться более 6 часов геймплея . Моё предложение форсировать реку по флангам по направлению "Суммер Коттагес" и "Волоске", под прикрытием дымов . Оттуда силами одной или двумя ротами уничтожить противника на берегу. На своём берегу танки выставить так , что они могли обнаружить и уничтожать противника . Потом продвигаться по обному из флангов  , я бы предложил правый фланг как самый лучший вариант . Для выполнения задания не хватает 3-й роты в батальоне , но это не так критично будет я надеюсь .

I apologize for my bad English, I use Google Translate.

Cheers guys  Russian Campaign missions 2 and 3 are both mine.

As soon as the repository is online I'll upload the master map used for both.

It's 5k x 2k all told, but has been reduced in size for each of the missions.

Interested the hear how the river crossing goes ! As for amphibious movement - it's the same as for on land, but the max speed when swimming is the same regardless of which movement type is used.

It's worth noting it takes a BMP-3 around ten minutes to cross the river !!!  ;)

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

Ok, it seems like i cant play this mission.  :(  I tried it twice, it crashes everytime at 10 to 15 turns in, probably because i dont have enough RAM and because there is so much stuff happening simultaniously... -_- Last time i looked CM crashed using 3,3 GB out of 4. That sucks terribly, really. Can someone send me a savegame of mission 4 so i can continue with the campaign anyways? I would very much appreciate that.

Edited by agusto

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers guys  Russian Campaign missions 2 and 3 are both mine.

As soon as the repository is online I'll upload the master map used for both.

It's 5k x 2k all told, but has been reduced in size for each of the missions.

Interested the hear how the river crossing goes ! As for amphibious movement - it's the same as for on land, but the max speed when swimming is the same regardless of which movement type is used.

It's worth noting it takes a BMP-3 around ten minutes to cross the river !!!  ;)

P

One word: "Congradulations"

Both, mission 2 and mission 3 of the Russian campaign were not just well designed. They were unique and magnificent! (In my opinion better than "Battle for objective Pooh" from CMSF - which until today was the standard of excellence)

SPOILERS

I did very well in mission 3 (elite difficulty). I crossed untouched! Admittedly, I was lucky to survive two or three of AT-14 shots but then all went smoothly. Here is how I did it. Basically I exhausted my arty on long linear (antipersonnel) missions on the ridges of the slop overlooking the beaches. I took out some houses with my airplanes. Immediately before entering the water I expended all my smoke rounds on the ridges and the beaches. When crossing I sent my AFVs in wedge formations with the APS vehicles on the lead, to draw AT fire and reveal the locations and kill them with my tanks from afar. One last detail, I took my time before crossing. I went in the water 45 mins into the game!

One thing that cough me by surprise (a pleasant one) was that the AVFs were able to shoot while in the water!

Thank you again, for the amazing experience.

Edited by Euri

SPOILERS obviously.

It was a little while ago and I can't remember perfectly what I did.

I dropped a Heavy/Short mission on every spotted contact immediately with whatever the lighter calibre artillery was. I think there was 3 of the heavy artillery available. With one I dropped a maximum length linear smoke mission on the ridge line hoping to isolate the beach areas from the defenses further back. With the second I did the same but his one was due to start 5 minutes after the mission commenced hoping to have a thick smoke screen for a long portion at the start of the battle. I can't remember what I did with the third (if there was one). I either saved it for an unspotted targets or area fired it at a cluster of spotted targets.

I committed the aircraft to areas at the back of the map and they were useless. I expected nothing and thought they might get clobbered but decided if I didn't call them then when would I call them.

Everyone went at once and was surprised at how well the guys crossing spotted targets that survived the arty. I would recommend enter and exiting the water at slow speed. Not sure if in these situations it makes a difference but I did have bogs that turned into immobilisation on both sides.

There wasn't a mass of opposition. 

I don't read all the forums regularly but after playing this one I was surprised there hasn't been a clamouring for landing craft for CMBN.

Pretty much what Euri said about  both the scenario design and tactics.

I put a pre planned barrage onto the central landing site and the little promontory to its left, then waited and observed. Some of my tanks started plinking targets on the opposite shore unordered, so I shuffled them into better fire positions and let them continue. After approx ten minutes of that, I smoked the central landing site and the ridge above, then put an infantry company across to clear that site. The AGS's were initially left on the friendly side of the river  to give supporting fire, although I didn't see them firing, despite having available targets. Once the central site was cleared I put the remaining infantry and sappers across and fanned out to clear the  the landing sites on either side. Once cleared ,dismounted infantry led  up a couple of the valleys  running down from the ridge and then on 'to the green fields beyond'. I could have got more use out of the air assets but was wary of Tunguska's and MANPAD's. If I was playing the scenario again I'd use the air to work over the landing sites  in a preplanned + 5 minutes strike arriving after any preplanned arty had finished.

All of my casualties happened on the far bank and nothing was hit during the crossing itself. The BMP 3's did fire whilst swimming, although I only saw secondary armament being fired, not the main gun.  Can they actually fire secondary and/or main armament  whilst swimming in real life?  

Anyway, thanks BF - all of the maps that I've played so far in CMBS have been both excellent and immersive (love the fork lift truck btw - shame it's not playable), and  the AI plans in the scenarios have produced some nasty surprises. 

Ok, it seems like i cant play this mission.  :(  I tried it twice, it crashes everytime at 10 to 15 turns in, probably because i dont have enough RAM and because there is so much stuff happening simultaniously... -_- Last time i looked CM crashed using 3,3 GB out of 4. That sucks terribly, really. Can someone send me a savegame of mission 4 so i can continue with the campaign anyways? I would very much appreciate that.

Same here. Not only did the game crash on that mission but now BS will not load. I'm waiting since Monday for Tech Support to send a tool to reset the activation procedure. I have 6 GB of ram.

WARNING

Same here. Not only did the game crash on that mission but now BS will not load. I'm waiting since Monday for Tech Support to send a tool to reset the activation procedure. I have 6 GB of ram.

WARNING

I had this kind of problems occasionally with CMBN and CMSF (i.e the saved file was not loading, or the computation phase hanged) The solution for me was to increase the max size of the virtual memory as much as possible. Be as generous as you can. I should probably have posted this reply to tech support thread. 

As will the AI, make no mistake about it - the briefing does give a few solid tips from what I recall. You really need to pour hot molten shrapnel from the skies onto the shoreline and get smoke on the water going.

I spent 15 minutes suppressing the far side and taking out targets with tanks and BMPs as they appeared . I used air on the upper plateau during this time. I planned a smoke barrage to land at the 15 minute mark and started crossing then, with the first platoon across landing on the small peninsula to establish a base of fire. The first company across cleared the landing areas with the second company following to make the assault on the upper objectives. The map is outstanding (as are most of them in CMBS) and the tactical exercise of a water crossing is a nice addition to CM. Really a good scenario!

WARNING

I can send you savegame of mission 4 if you want. PM me if you need it.

I had this kind of problems occasionally with CMBN and CMSF (i.e the saved file was not loading, or the computation phase hanged) The solution for me was to increase the max size of the virtual memory as much as possible. Be as generous as you can. I should probably have posted this reply to tech support thread. 

That is a good idea, haven tried that yet.

I also have to say it's an awesome Mission and with lot of arty preperation for the crossing it works quite well. But I haven't managed to play much further than the crossing, because it also crashes on me all the time. Is that because of insufficent RAM or VRAM? Or can it be both? Because on one crash I got a error message which said I'm running out of VRAM.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, this is my all time favourite Combat Mission map so far. I found the difficulty curve just right and it was superb fun to play.

Strategy wise, I deliberately stayed well away from the two rightmost beaches as there was so many places with LOS on them they looked like a death trap.

I decided to land an the biggest force I could next to the village on the left, and clear the coastal path all the way to the beaches, *then* land the main force on those beaches.

That was messier than I liked, but it worked.

There is a crucial, small draw off the beaches on the left, up the hill through the woods (just wide enough for single file), all the way up the large open fields that flank the farm objectives. This allows you to attack downhill which seemed to help my weak infantry. You don't need the main beaches at all, and the farms are where the big points are.

My T-90's were placed on overwatch of the entire opposite bank, and they killed all the UKR tanks, including two that made a flanking dash from the top of the map.

I didn't do so well towards the farm, lost far too many BMPs to a very well concealed and distant AT gun. Also made the mistake of having my poorest troops at the front, and they just cannot fight so they ended up being spotters for the supporting BMP's which really swung the battle for me, despite the losses.

Ended up with a major victory largely down to holding the farms.