CW The Bridge at Varaville - recommended

Just had to recommend this battle. It is small but intricate. You start out with one Para HQ and two small squads and a generous set up area. Go secure that bridge and guard house. The neat thing from a design standpoint is that despite small squads they can be split up in several teams, so you end up with several tactical element comprised of just one or two men. This adds an interesting dimension to it. And a stunning map. I always feel the game looks it best in light fog/cloudy weather.

Who designed this gem? Highly recommended, especially if you're into tiny/small battles.

Good to know, I was eyeing it after I finish 'Buying the Farm' - my old nemesis. It looked like something worth making an AAR over. I'm usually a fan of the bigger slug fests, but small infantry actions have far more elegance required.

Edited by Rinaldi

Rocketman,

Very good scenario. Am still regrowing my nails, and I played it months ago. Pucker factor is high, and though I won a Canadian Tactical Victory, possibly my best CM store ever, as the Paras, they'll need more recruits at Ft. Benning, Ringway or CFB Shiloh as a result. My AAR--SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!-- is here. Battle coverage begins at my #265.

Rinaldi,

This scenario is well worth your time. No extra charge if a casualty gets stuck halfway through a house wall, as happened to me, when there was neither a window nor a door.

Regards,

John Kettler

Glad you guys enjoyed it, I designed the scenario. I wanted to make a scenario with Canadian paratroopers, but it was hard to find a historical scenario that was interesting or worked in CM. It does have a historical basis since the bridge at Varaville was a D-Day objective for the Paras and the objective was to block any German reinforcements that could interfere with the landings, so it makes an interesting "what if" scenario.

The map is based on RAF aerial recon photos taken on june 12, 1944 and I also "walked around" virtually using Google Earth to get a feel for the terrain, so it is very accurate.

Edited by Sgt Joch

Played this mission 2 weeks ago. Really liked the map - so I increased the map-size a little bit and played a QB against my brother. One of the best QBs I ever played. Unfortunately my brother mined all the river crossings and the bridge so my tanks got immobilized. 

Spoiler Alert (mark to read):

After taking the objectives with one casualty i thought the game is over - so I pressed cease-fire and found out that about 100 meters awayGermans prepared a counter-attack.

• 1 year later...

Ancient thread, but I just played this scenario and had a really good time with it. Total Victory for the Canadian Paras! It was good fight...
Spoiler Alert (mark to read):
I had the HQ and 1 squad in the 2 story Manor and the other squad in the guard house for most of the fight. Deployed smoke shield to get to the guard house.

Edited by AstroCat