A guide to adding extra flavor objects

Hi

I´ve been making quite a few new flavor objects for CMRT lately. And since I know many other modders and/or scenario designers aren´t aware of the techniques, I´ve made this little how-to guide.

The guide comes in the form of a PDF file. Since it exceeds the max size of attachments allowed in the forum, I´ve put in Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whercbavxakwgyf/Adding%20extra%20flavor%20objects.pdf

None of the methods I decribe are discovered by myself. My knowledge of computer files and how they work is very limited, so I´d never dream of opening and editing a mdr file on my own initiative.

So the credit for experimenting and discovering how to do this belongs to the forumite: Tempestzzzz. I have simply been trying out the methods he has described in several threads in the CMFI forum.

This guide is merely trying to present his discoveries in a bit more structured and accessible manner.

Try it out - it´s not that hard :)

- and please comment if there´s anything you don´t understand.

Here´s all the fine print - that I should have included in the pdf (I´ll inlcude it now and make a new version).

A few words of caution on the use of extra flavor objects:

Tempestzzzz warns:

ANY flavor object can't stop a bullet or hinder line of sight. It's just 'flavor' Not substance.

If 2 players play against each other and want to see a customized flavor object (i.e. GAZ truck) they both have to have the same GAZ flavor object files in their Z folder. Otherwise the game that doesn't have a modded file will default to a cart rather than a Gaz truck.

Regarding scenario specific mod tags:

Unfortunately, the scenario specific mod tag system doesn´t seem to be usable when it comes to flavor objects. Here are my experiences:

Scenario specific mod tags do not work on mdr files! If a mdr file has a mod tag, then the flavor object will not be available in the editor.

The flavor object bmp files with mod tags will load in the game, but the implications seem to be mostly negative:

The flavor objects will show up in a mod tagged scenario no matter if the bmps have mod tags or not.

But not the other way around:

Mod tagged bmps will only show up in scenarios with the corresponding mod tags. If mod tagged bmps are used in a scenario without mod tags, then the flavor objects will have the correct shape – but be completely black.

• 2 weeks later...

A few words of caution on the use of extra flavor objects:

Tempestzzzz warns:

ANY flavor object can't stop a bullet or hinder line of sight. It's just 'flavor' Not substance.

Hi Umlaut,

My apologies if I've misunderstood your post, but after reading it,

I made a test scenario using some forward observers and various

"sheds" (in the editor under "flavor objects") and found

that they do indeed hinder line of sight.

I did not try any firing however, so cannot comment on their

ability/inability to stop small caliber ammunition.

Have I misinterpreted your post?

Regards, Oddball-CAF

I can't get to my Manual atm, but I recall that either it or Steve on some long ago post stated that flavor objects do affect on LOS,but do not provide cover. Like tall grass...concealment but not cover. I never tested it, but it seems that way, for whatever that's worth. Try it with haystacks...I know I've hid my men behind them successfully. Maybe it was just dumb luck?

Getting anxious for you to release these masterpieces, Umlaut!

• 6 years later...
On 8/17/2014 at 11:31 AM, umlaut said:

Hi

I´ve been making quite a few new flavor objects for CMRT lately. And since I know many other modders and/or scenario designers aren´t aware of the techniques, I´ve made this little how-to guide.

The guide comes in the form of a PDF file. Since it exceeds the max size of attachments allowed in the forum, I´ve put in Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whercbavxakwgyf/Adding%20extra%20flavor%20objects.pdf

None of the methods I decribe are discovered by myself. My knowledge of computer files and how they work is very limited, so I´d never dream of opening and editing a mdr file on my own initiative.

So the credit for experimenting and discovering how to do this belongs to the forumite: Tempestzzzz. I have simply been trying out the methods he has described in several threads in the CMFI forum.

This guide is merely trying to present his discoveries in a bit more structured and accessible manner.

Try it out - it´s not that hard :)

- and please comment if there´s anything you don´t understand.

Edited by Tempestzzzz

Umlaut:

Thank you for your 2014 credit on flavor objects.

FWIW I use a ton of your Mods. Love your French Buildings. I was experimenting with a Dubonnet Ad...but like you the other building side mirrors it backward. Your solution works. Just put another building adjacent to the backward ad.  Why didn't I think of that😄

I don't mod anymore for public release. Just for me now.

Thank you again for credit.

So many games soooooo little time.

1 hour ago, Tempestzzzz said:

Umlaut:

Thank you for your 2014 credit on flavor objects.

FWIW I use a ton of your Mods. Love your French Buildings. I was experimenting with a Dubonnet Ad...but like you the other building side mirrors it backward. Your solution works. Just put another building adjacent to the backward ad.  Why didn't I think of that😄

I don't mod anymore for public release. Just for me now.

Thank you again for credit.

So many games soooooo little time.

And thank you right back at you - for the original work on editing mdr files :)