Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Flavor Items transfered from Red Thunder

Hi fellow gamers!

I discovered how to transfer Flavor Items from Red Thunder to CMBN. Some of the Flavor Items are unique to Red Thunder and I felt they would be really nice to add to Battle for Normandy. Like the Telephone Poles are just like the ones you see in the splash screens and the farm items like dead cow and horse, or the wells are great items.

I have all the mods in my Z folder and the game runs fine, no conflicts as I ensured the numbering sequences of items fit into the overall order of the different Flavor sections.

I even drew up a diagram for how to set up the railroad items for a correct representation of a Locomotive Service Area for those of you not familiar with such things. I am also a big time Trainz Rail Simulator operator.

Is it too much or ridiculous to ask Battlefront for a realistic coaling tower?

So I had to resubmit them a second time as I had no idea how to get the URL for the image to show up the first time. So please excuse the lack of images until they get re-approved and posted!

Please feel free to comment on how you like the mods, it took some inventive thinking and a few beers to make this happen!

Enjoy!

Mech.Gato

mech.gato,

Welcome aboard! (Pretty sure I hadn't welcomed you).

What a clever idea and a boon to scenario builders! I'm glad BFC has seen fit not to blast you with thunderbolts from Olympus. Now, when are we going to get manure heaps? I've read accounts in which GIs got real cover from fire because of them and fought using them as shooting positions.

What a great story for the grandchildren! "There I was behind that stinking, fly covered Normandy manure pile--German bullets thwacking wetly into it while I peered over the edge and popped with my trusty M1 every German I saw. I stank something fierce afterwards, but I was alive!"

This war story has now passed the Censorship Board.

Regards,

John Kettler

I haven't tried this but there may be a new v3.0 special feature that can be used in this regard.

3.0 allows you to assign your own [tags] to individual scenarios. So if you take the CMRT dead cow, rename it to replace the CMBN wine barrel, then you can tag the art and model with [deadcow] tag, then any scenario you want dead cows on the map you instruct the editor to accept the [deadcow] tag.

At least in theory. ;)

Hey John!

Reminds me of that scene from Kelly's Heroes where they blew up the barracks and the outhouse blew away and on to them!

I had two grand-uncles, Allen and Albert, in WW1. Same outfit, as most guys recruited from one area were all trained together and fought together during that era.

Well they were moving up to the front in late evening when they came under heavy German shelling. Their instructions were if such a event happened was to scatter and meet at the rendezvous point in the morning. So these two go taking off across a field and end up spending the night in a haystack.

Come morning, both of them who had their eye glasses broken during the shelling peer out of the haystack into a thick fog shrouded field. Suddenly fuzzy black shapes appear in the fog and are moving erratically like infantry moving in bounds. Could they be Germans?

So Albert aims his rifle, as best as he can with poor eyesight, and squeezes off a round. No sooner than the crack of the rifle fades they hear a loud distressed "MOO" followed by a thud. The shapes were black and white cows moving through the fog grazing!

Albert had become the first one in the unit with a kill and 2 nicknames, "the butcher" and "aim at anything Albert".