self propelled artillery doctrine in black sea

In shock force, im assuming that self propelled artillery batteries would have remained stationary between fire missions due to the relatively low threat of counter battery missions from the syrians. Although this is just an assumption. With the russians presenting a much higher threat in this area, will there be any changes to how these batteries operate in-game as they fire and relocate, or is this outside the scope of CM?

the likes of D30 or M119?

On-map artillery poses the same problems it does in the WWII titles: minimum ranges for indirect fire verge on or exceed typical map sizes. That leaves them with a direct fire role only when present on map, and if anything that would be less important in a modern title.

As to mortars...;)

On-map artillery poses the same problems it does in the WWII titles: minimum ranges for indirect fire verge on or exceed typical map sizes. That leaves them with a direct fire role only when present on map, and if anything that would be less important in a modern title.

As to mortars...;)

I deliberately picked the shorter range platforms because of this, but I can see why they wont be included on map. Im happy that mortars will be on map though, as in CMBN.

Maybe scenarios could have a very simplified but scaled off map area on which off table assets such as artillery, headquarters and reserves relevant to the battle being fought can be positioned and moved.

That is a good idea, really. I can very well imagine a simplified 2D off-map area to work with the current CMx2 system.