Where did you hear about CM - Part 2

...The CM series might not be computer ASL but its a good game...

I had the base SL module as a kid, but could never find players for it and was too young to learn the harder rules.

After a few years of CMx1, I found my old copy of SL in storage and got into it. That led me to ASL and I actually dropped the CMx1 series to focus on that.

However, CMx2 has sadly killed ASL for me. ASL can compete and even win against CMx1, but CMx2 is just too advanced and highlights too many holes in the ASL system (FoW and arty, mainly).

I still have all my ASL stuff (full set of mounted maps) and may try to get back into it one day, but I really don't know if I could anymore.

I was specifically looking for a game like Theatre of War set in a modern day scenario, preferably set in Iraq/Afgahnistan. I googled for such a game and was re-directed to an article about CMSF in a computer games magazine.

I saw a preview in PC Gamer or Computer Gaming Magazine and downloaded the demo scenario as soon as I could. I played a fair amount but didn't get hooked really until Barbarosa.

I am one of the old farts. I started wargaming in 1977 and now have over 200 of the board games, then computer wargaming as soon as I could find any (which was on the Commodore 64). Combat Mission has been the culmination of my wargaming "career".

I learned of CM very early on... before the demo. I'd heard rumors of a "computer squad leader" and ran a search on whatever engine I was using in the late 90's (probably Yahoo?). I lurked on the forum occasionally, but not often enough to catch the demo release.

I remember playing the demo the first time, getting my butt kicked and not being very impressed with the graphics or the UI. :confused: I think I came back and tried the demo again shortly after the release of CMBO... and was hooked from then on :eek:. I've bought every WWII release since; I purchased CMSF after the bugs were worked out just to begin learning the CMx2 system.

Modern warfare just hasn't been my thing, but I will admit that Black Sea has piqued my interest. I likely won't pre-order (like I do for WWII), but once the videos and reviews start coming out... we'll see ;)

It is going to kick ass. :)

I believe you!!!:D

I think a lot of the reason I don't particularly enjoy CMSF (and other modern games) is the asymmetrical nature of the combat. I've enjoyed John Tiller's Modern Campaign series... on the other hand, in the old Avalon Hill title Arab-Israeli Wars, I liked the '56 scenarios much more than the later ones